Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

81 posts, read 154,055 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want to move to Orlando, however, I would be by myself and don't know anyone there. I am in mid-forties and my freinds tell me I am crazy to go, that it's unsafe. I would secure a job first and/or bring a large amount of savings. I know the area, had lived there for a few years, so that would be a good thing there. Any input or info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
As long as you have a job and savings, why not? There are some dangerous areas, but overall the suburbs and downtown core including Thorton Park/Lake Eola are perfectly safe.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 PM

81 posts, read 154,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As long as you have a job and savings, why not? There are some dangerous areas, but overall the suburbs and downtown core including Thorton Park/Lake Eola are perfectly safe.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, they are telling me I shouldn't go alone because I'm a girl and getting older, I do have mixed feelings about it, but I really want to do this before I get REALLY older, not just in my forties or fifties. I'd like to hear other peoples take on this or if anyone knows someonen with a success story after striking out on their own, I do realize that I will meet people, but is it a crazy thing to do?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
If you can secure a job and can afford to live in nice safe area of town than I would say there is nothing crazy about it. Were that not the case than I would have pause. The reality is if your financially able and open minded you can make anywhere a desirable place to live. But if this is where you've always wanted to live and you have the means....well you only live once. I hope we live up to your expectations.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
There are so many great areas, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, Downtown, Thornton Park, Delaney, Park, and so on that would have a ncie lifestyle for someone alone.

I'd suggest checking out the theaters and maybe getting involved with them to quickly expand your circle. The Fringe festival is a great place to meet a diverse group.

Social networks can help.

There are many organizations... orchid clubs, gardens, scuba and so on... find your likes and explore and friends will come quickly.

It is a great place with a great future. hopefully you will see yours here as well.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM

58 posts, read 163,235 times
I agree with all the above posts. It sounds like you make wise financial and/or career choices - just do the same when deciding on a residential area. In our neighborhood we watch for one another, actually drive slower if there are children playing close to the street, pick up packages when left on someones doorstep when they're not home....you get the idea. It's certainly not a picture of crime/danger.

When you decide to come there are a lot of us on this board (including several realtors) who will help guide you to the right place - keep ya outa the less-desirable sections of town. If you want to become involved in a local church, there are lots to choose from around here. Many (like us) seek to have a "front porch" approach....very welcoming.

A couple of general locations to avoid (IMO)....key words: Parramore, South Orange Blossom Trail, Pine Hills.

OH...BONUS....Housing prices are VERY affordable right now!!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 39,834 times
Take it from me, don't move to Orlando. I am a 40 year old lady who moved here last July. I couldn't afford to live in a house in Windermere or Dr. Phillips where I wanted to live so I settled on Metrowest and it's ghetto. Orlando is the 9th rudest city in the US. I experience a lot of road rage and rude people. I have met some nice people, but none that I can call friends. The crime here is more than from where I came. I live in a gated community, but never feel safe due to apartment break-ins and cars get broken into. I pay $1695 for a townhome so you'd think it would be more upper scale tenants. Not the case. I have caught my married neighbor looking in my windows at night. In addition, I get approached by shady people in parking lots during the day at stores like Albertsons, Walmart, Best Buy, Petco, the Mall etc... They ask you weird questions like do you want to sell me your car, and I can fix the little dent you have for $40 cash on the spot. The weather here is great if you don't mind hot amd humid in the summer. Everywhere you live offers "pest control" but no matter what you will have to live with roaches. Lizards run around everywhere outside and a few of them got into my townhome that I had to catch myself. I have fire ants and can't sit on my sofa without seeing roaches or getting attacked by fire ants. I will be moving out of Orlando as soon as my lease is up. Just visit Orlando for fun, never ever live here.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I think you'll do just fine.....sounds like you have the job and financial part taken care of.

To help find people to socialize with, go to www.meetup.com. It's very active in this area and will help you meet people with the same interests.

You'll find that some people have had both good and bad experiences here....please keep in mind that this things can happen anywhere. It's all in how you handle it.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyisitsodifficult View Post
Take it from me, don't move to Orlando. I am a 40 year old lady who moved here last July. I couldn't afford to live in a house in Windermere or Dr. Phillips where I wanted to live so I settled on Metrowest and it's ghetto. Orlando is the 9th rudest city in the US. I experience a lot of road rage and rude people. I have met some nice people, but none that I can call friends. The crime here is more than from where I came. I live in a gated community, but never feel safe due to apartment break-ins and cars get broken into. I pay $1695 for a townhome so you'd think it would be more upper scale tenants. Not the case. I have caught my married neighbor looking in my windows at night. In addition, I get approached by shady people in parking lots during the day at stores like Albertsons, Walmart, Best Buy, Petco, the Mall etc... They ask you weird questions like do you want to sell me your car, and I can fix the little dent you have for $40 cash on the spot. The weather here is great if you don't mind hot amd humid in the summer. Everywhere you live offers "pest control" but no matter what you will have to live with roaches. Lizards run around everywhere outside and a few of them got into my townhome that I had to catch myself. I have fire ants and can't sit on my sofa without seeing roaches or getting attacked by fire ants. I will be moving out of Orlando as soon as my lease is up. Just visit Orlando for fun, never ever live here.
Maybe you should move you sofa inside!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 24,406 times
Default Orlando is a cr*phole!

DO NOT MOVE HERE! Not only is it expensive because it is Republican run. It is a feaking cr*phole! The people s*ck, there is no consideration and the biggest industry is freaking Disney World. So, if you don't mind putting on a freaking painted smile for lousy wages come on down. Orlando along with most of this state is so backwards that it follows suit with every other southern Hick state abound. Only, this state is worse. No matter what it is a Republican H*llhole! If you have experience in anything that is good, but good luck in still finding a job here, because the unemployment rate is near 12% and this is the good area! You want to move anywhere move to TX, like the Houston area. They are less backwards than this cr*phole. Any minimum wage job that is left, you will have to work 12 to 16 hr days, because that is what is expected of you here. You don't believe then look around the place for a while. I don't reccomend this place to my worst enemy in the world. The tree's even s*ck, because they are Laurel Oaks. The tiny little leaves that are never able to pick up. They keep voting Republican here and raise taxes and utilities for no reason what so ever. You want to move, good luck, because if you don't have a job here lined up, you will die here! I hardly go out here at all and when I did go out I was in the middle of a robbery while getting gas.

Last edited by MikeyGman; 03-17-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando