Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 AM

37 posts, read 81,816 times

Advertisements

Looking to re-locate and have put posts up about my questions with Lake Mary. I continued to look and was wondering about Heathrow and Winter Park also. My list of importance would be:

1. Safety
2. Jobs
3. Price
4. Small-town feel

I am from Ohio and would still like to feel like I am not 100% downtown in Orlando. Obviously, it is going to be a lot bigger scale but I am trying to find the best place to fit me. Safety is 1st and foremost followed by a nice living area. The job I wouldnt mind traveling a little further due to in Ohio having delays because of snow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,115,686 times
The main difference would be if you want a suburban or more European/Urban type of vibe and atmosphere.

Both are nice solid areas, but Lake Mary is safer. You get more home for the price in Lake Mary. Small town feel is debatable since I do not think you have it necessarily in either. There are some quiet parts of Winter Park, but it is more like an urban village. It has some very highly trafficked roads that run through it as well (Fairbanks, 17-92, Aloma, etc). Lake Mary is a bustling suburb bisected by the freeway and most roads are wide and busy as well. Some of the areas off of Markham Woods are quieter and a bit more rural or small town in nature.

There will be more jobs in the general Winter Park vicinity since it is closer to downtown Orlando and areas of Maitland and around UCF where there are jobs, BUT Lake Mary also has a concentration of jobs. Depending on where your job is may be the factor, because I doubt you will want to commute on I-4 in the morning or afternoon from Lake Mary toward anywhere in the downtown region.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Wilshire,

Thanks for the input!! My g/f will be working in Lake Mary. She will be transferring from her job in Ohio to Lake Mary but I will be looking for a job. So if their are any jobs in the area I will look at those since she will already be working in Lake Mary. How far of a drive would she be looking at going to and from Winter Park to Lake Mary for work in the mornings and afternoons?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Mcmillek,

I am speaking in reference to Winter Park, FLA. Thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

58 posts, read 162,388 times
Yeah, definitely no snow skiing in Winter Park, FL! Haha!!!
(thanks for the much needed laugh for the day...)

I'm not real familiar w/Heathrow, although I understand it can be rather pricey. Lake Mary is a great location, but is still part of the "urban sprawl" of Orlando. To be honest, I don't think any of the 3 locations mentioned would give you a "small town" feel.

If you look in Winter Park, be careful. There are parts that are VERY nice, and a few parts that wouldn't be desireable. Many on this board will be happy to assist you with location advice (even with more specifics), but your best bet would be to work with a good realtor.

Hope your move goes well!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Default Its me again...lol

Thank you everyone for your input on my move. I am still in the process of figuring everything out, but was wondering if anyone is familar with Helmsley Ct. Lake Mary, Fl?? They have a few condos for rent on Craigslist and was just wanting o see if anyone has any info on these?

From the looks of it they are off Pebble drive, which is by the corner of Greenwood Blvd and Lake Emma Rd. If anyone has any advice or info, please feel free to say.

Again, thanks for all input. Everything helps, whether good or bad!!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM

26,805 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg535353 View Post
I am still in the process of figuring everything out, but was wondering if anyone is familiar with Helmsley Ct. Lake Mary, Fl?? They have a few condos for rent on Craigslist and was just wanting o see if anyone has any info on these?
The condo community is Hidden Village and is in a good location in terms of convenience. It's actually very walkable in terms of proximity to shops/restaurants as well as easy access to running/biking paths. The area is very safe and pretty quiet at night despite being close to I-4 and a significant commercial strip (Lake Mary Boulevard). The condos themselves were built in the mid 1980s and are kept up pretty well since the community has a fairly proactive Condo Association.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 AM

Kyle,

Thank you very much for your input!! Seems to be a fairly good place to start. As long as I am in a fairly decent neighborhood when I 1st move, I will be happy. After that, I can get to learn the area better and where I would like to be further down the road. Again, thank you very much for your input. The last thing I want to do is move into an area that is not so well to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando