Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 20,027 times

Advertisements

Today, 04:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been reading forums here and I have been finding some great information.

My husband and I are from NY. We are tired of the expensive cost of living here. We are considering relocating.

Can anyone tell me the good, bad and the ugly of the area mentioned above, including surrounding areas? I can transfer thru my job to Winter Haven, however my husband would have to find a new job. He is an executive Chef. How are the jobs in the areas? Is the job market scarce there?

What about crime in the areas?

If anyone could help that would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Kristine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Winter Haven is a fairly small town, I can't imagine there are many "executive chef" jobs in that area, other than Red Lobster.

It's a 40 minute or so commute to Disney, an hour to Orlando, an hour or so to Tampa.

Not much more to say about it. I think one of the big employers down there is Coca Cola, and Publix in neighboring Lakeland.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:35 PM

95 posts, read 101,331 times
The job market in Winter Haven is scarce unless you medical. State Farm's regional office is the largest employer in town that isn't governmental or medical. I would not want to be searching for a restaurant related job after March when the snowbirds start to head north. Winter Haven has a fairly old demographic and a large seasonal population.

The cost of living is low however be prepared for salary shock. I'm not familiar with wages in the food industry but public school teachers start at 35K. The starting salary for registered nurses is between 50 & 55K. I would guess that a chef would find better paying positions closer to Disney.

There are parts of town where crime is a problem but the crime rate doesn't seem as high as Tampa or Orlando.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 20,027 times
Default Thank you AndersFl

I actually work for State Farm. I appreciate the information. It is very hard to find information about the area. I was told that Lakeland would be a nice place to go.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I am interested in learning about this area as well. Turns out there is a mid sized manufacturer of irrigation systems looking to hire me. The cost of living looks very favorable. Are younger folks kinda scarce there? Seems to be a popular retirement destination.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I am interested in learning about this area as well. Turns out there is a mid sized manufacturer of irrigation systems looking to hire me. The cost of living looks very favorable. Are younger folks kinda scarce there? Seems to be a popular retirement destination.
It's an old southern town... relatively boring, and anything but progressive. I wouldn't recommend it to a young professional, although sometimes you have to go where the work is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando