Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:41 AM

16 posts, read 93,570 times

Advertisements

Before I continue - I am a resident of the community and the majority of my post are the pro-poinciana type, typically countering someone's rant or racist post on how there are too many hispanics, and the exaggeration of crime..etc.. All which are not founded on facts, just an occasional news story which there really isn't much news generated out of a community this size, so when something does happen its magnified by 1,000.

I am an advocate of our Poinciana community because when compared to other parts of Florida, Poinciana offers a natural beauty, large home sites and wonderful homes always priced right. That is not debatable.. The reason for my post is to generate discussion and help make our community better, hold those who are the decision makes accountable and maybe they can even respond with some explanations... Now for the post.

Has anyone legitimately provide an explanation as to why the Chili's that was suppose to open a new restaurant nix their plans?

If Avatar is so concerned about future build out in Solivita, wouldn't they be more proactive with encouraging a restaurant chain to open up on this side of the county? I've ran into several Solivita potential vacationing residents and the one common question they ask.. Where are the restaurants? With our location being so isolated and being a sprawling community of about 70,000 people.. Looks like whoever is selling our community to the outside isn't doing such a great job, they are just bringing in the wrong stuff..

Security, even though Poinciana is relatively safe - Why doesn't the community provide a security detail for the Sheriff's Office on the Osceola side to patrol ONLY the retail areas of the Town Center and Publix Plaza to provide an additional sense of Security, prevent loitering and get rid of the isolated abandoned town feeling.. Potential Prospects not only check out the community in the day, but at night. Night time is when you really get a feel for any area, so why not provide that extra sense of community.. Off Duty Officers really aren't that expensive when you compare if to our HOA's several million dollar budget.

And even thought Avatar Homes is the culprit with our commercial dilemma why hasn't the HOA Association of Poinciana Villages done anything to bring in new businesses? They are suppose to preserve, protect our property values within the community.. Isn't providing these type of amenities part of that?

Poinciana residents no longer want a chinese restaurant, latin food and burger king.. I want to spend my money where I live, the only problem is.. There is no where for me to spend it.

I feel that Poinciana will not live up to its full potential anytime soon unless a wrecker-ball knocks down the "Towne Center" where Winn-Dixie once was and start from scratch with some known restaurant chains.. Why not ask Darden to help? They are local, growing and a profiting company in our own back yard.. They own Red Lobster, Olive Garden among several others..

What do you think reader? Pass this posting on, hey even send it to your local paper.. Lets start a discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM

212 posts, read 335,530 times
Default The market just isn't there IMHO

I've lived in Poinciana for the past four years, and I agree with a lot of what you say. As a motorcyclist, there are excellent back-roads (especially down to the South), a lot of natural beauty, and few of the hassles that a person may encounter in the city.

With that being said, we must temper the physical amenities of the area with the reality of the population. The retired crowd who primarily lives in the Solivita complex is comfortable behind the walls. Part of the selling point of Solivita is that many of the services such as restaurants, etcetera are available on-property. It is possible that a franchise like Chilis would grab some of these folks, but from a pure cost/benefit perspective, there are just not enough potential patrons in this demographic to make the investment viable.

Now, when you get outside the walls of Solivita and look at Poinciana proper, the demographics become even more stark. Like it or not, we have a high number of lower skilled workers in the area, many who have recently entered the country and are competing for lower paid jobs. Unfortunately, most of these jobs are not close to the area, requiring a significant commute into Kissimmee, Orlando or in the Lake Wales area. With gasoline prices skyrocketing, the disposable income really isn't there for a restaurant the caliber of Chilis. A family of four will have an easier time financially hitting the Burger King.

I think it's telling that both Pollo Tropical and Panda Express have recently closed their doors. There simply was not enough demand in the area to sustain the business and they pulled out. I fully expect Starbucks to be next. The closing of Winn Dixie was more a general statement of the condition of the corporation. And this area in particular had quite a bit of competition from Wal Mart and Publix.

Sorry for the wall of text, but in short, I don't see enough demand (or disposable income) in Poinciana to support much more than a Subway or a Burger King. When the hospital gets complete, my hope is that we will draw more higher income folks to the area. This may be when we finally start to see more Chilis and Targets and less Amscots and Rent a Centers in the area.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Well said Stygmata..

So what about the population outside of the walls of Solivita that have modest incomes, will we be forced to move elsewhere that can offer these amenities? It just doesn't make sense that Avatar would plan a build out of a lower class community in such a pristine location.

If AVATAR, now the primary developer of Solivita and Bellago followed through with their "Southport Connector and Parker Highway" toll roads we would be well situated just as any other middle class community. It really is disappointing when I read news articles dating 1981 - 2006 about broken promises from the developed to build these roads. And there is never an explanation as to why they were never built in the first place when the community was conceived.

I remember back in 1991 when my grandparents moved here to retire.. It was well known as a middle class and a affordable golfing community... Greed has deteriorated the community by cheap builders and adjustable mortgages.. And again the roads they were promised originally were never built.

There has to be a way to pull the community out of this slump, make it more attractive for businesses.. I really think the only way is to start from scratch, knock down the old shopping mall, stop new construction and market our area to businesses that have enough backbone to operate in such a diverse community.

And then of course.. I think we should follow the footsteps of large Home Owner Associations like Metro West in Orlando and hire off duty Police patrols to assist with keeping our community even safer and deter loitering in retail areas and make Poinciana an unattractive area for criminals to operate.

SOURCES: Visit google.com/news and search the news archive.. You will find several articles about statements made from Avatar regarding the Southport Connector and Parker Highway .. Same promises made in 1981 to new residents and the same promises being made today..

Who's going to own up to it and finally act.. Time is now, our community's future depends on it. We have the most amazing homes in the area at the best prices..

I'm still a believer (homeowner) and stick behind what I'm saying when it comes to Village 7 Lake Marion Village in Poinciana. This portion of the community avoided a lot of problems other portions of the community are having. If you look the census results there is a large majority of middle-middle upper class residents that live in my area. Plus the proximity to other cities like Winter Haven and Lake Wales make it attractive for a different group.

Lets continue the discussion..anyone else?

Last edited by lakemarionvillage; 04-14-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Default Poinciana was uniquely impacted by the housing bubble

I do agree and have hope that services and infrastructure will improve in the area. The toll road from Marigold up to Championsgate, the Southport Connector, etcetera would certainly make it easier (less traffic) to get to the area. But the sad fact is, no matter how you slice it, we are really in the middle of nowhere. To me, that has many positive connotations, but for business looking for traffic and sales, what does Poinciana really have to offer?

I'll be completely candid. My partner and I have incomes well above the average. But our credit was extremely poor due to mistakes from the past. The only reason we came to Poinciana was because a person could get a mortgage if they had eyebrows and a pulse in the 2006-2008 timeframe. Now we have the income to support the mortgage, but if you look at the plethora of foreclosures around here, many people could not. Less population = less opportunity for sales. Back when they first started bandying about the potential for better restaurants, better highways, etcetera was at the peak of the bubble. Irresponsible in hindsight, the developers (like a lot of us) thought the merry go round was never going to end.

A good example is the (relatively) new outparcel in front of the Wal Mart. Oh, what hopes I had. Remember, that is where the Chilis was going to go? A new shopping area had a lot of potential. We got a Starbucks. We got a gym. A LOT of potential there.

And then the market crashed.

No more Chilis. No more Pollo Tropical (and I loved that place!). No more Panda Express. In comes Amscot. In comes Colortyme. In comes a dollar store. Out goes Winn Dixie. In comes a huge new Section 8 apartment community behind Publix. I'm getting a bit negative now, so bear with me but it just looks very bleak. I can tell you that we try to make the best of it, but if we weren't $100K underwater on the mortgage (and if Florida was not a recourse state), we would have left the area a couple of years ago. We're not here because we want to be, we're here because we're stuck. We are trying to make the best of it because you are right, the homes down here are very nice - we love the house. And like I mentioned earlier, we're trying to find the silver lining in the cloud - we love seeing all the stars at night and the quiet backroads for biking.

As far as Avatar, I'm afraid that Poinciana is completely off of their radar, except for Solivita. Take a look at their website and you'll see that Poinciana is not even mentioned at all anymore. They have written it off. It is as if Avatar looks at Poinciana as a bad mistake that they would just as soon forget about.

I'm fortunate because I am able to work from home, but even quick fleeting desires to do some shopping require planning. Lord help us if we need something from Best Buy - because we can bank on an hour there, an hour back plus shopping time. Many times, we just say to heck with it and order online. It is isolating living down here - which has its plusses and minuses.

I am convinced that we are only going to start to see stores and services come to the area when the population can support them. I am fully aware that we are somewhat of an anomaly down here based on income. But I also know the struggles of my neighbors (the few who are left), and although they would LOVE to be able to go to a Red Lobster without commuting into Kissimmee, even if it were right next to Walgreens, they couldn't afford it. This is why I'm hopeful that when the medical center gets established, we will bring some more higher income folks to the area. Maybe I'm being naive, but I would like to think that the medical professionals working in the hospital would prefer to live close to work and not "in town".

Another wall of text - sorry - but it is an interesting subject for me - I have a stake in it. Until property values start to increase, we are in fact stuck, and just need to make the best of it.

Last edited by stygmata; 04-14-2011 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Great response..

Can anyone else out there provide some solutions? There are 70,000 of us out there - Regardless of income, I'm sure that atleast 20,000 or so of us desire a better lifestyle and place to live.. Partly the reason we live in the community.. The prestine views, lake access and large greenery is part the reason I chose to invest and purchase a home in Village 7 of Poinciana (hence the lakemarionvillage screen name).... Is there a cause other then prfsc.org out there that is willing to get something started in-guard to actual community advocacy to get the "average joes" questions answered?

A "successful" person once told me.. the most important thing you will ever learn in life is how to ask for something.. What I am asking for right now is for those of use who care about the future of our community, our investments to let our concerns be known. It's time to communicate and stop accepting what is and start looking at the potential for our area.

Anyone who drives thru Poinciana (Cypress Parkway proper) can see the potential of this community.. Our HOA, who are the people we pay salaries for and the elected officials in our area need to provide answers..

Start asking questions.. believe you and me; Our elected officials, AVATAR and our HOA is listening.. My vote in 2012 will count.

And to potential Solivita purchasers... Don't listen to the salesman.. Poinciana is wonderful but until Avatar builds the Parker Highway aka Poinciana Toll Road, Poinciana Parkway.... My grandparents were promised the same thing back in 1991.. along with the turnpike connection via southport.. Start asking questions maybe we will start seeing results.

Last edited by lakemarionvillage; 04-14-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM

Cool Poinciana Toll Road, AVATAR, Solivita and Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
To me, that has many positive connotations, but for business looking for traffic and sales, what does Poinciana really have to offer?

Irresponsible in hindsight, the developers (like a lot of us) thought the merry go round was never going to end.

A good example is the (relatively) new outparcel in front of the Wal Mart. Oh, what hopes I had. Remember, that is where the Chilis was going to go? A new shopping area had a lot of potential. We got a Starbucks. We got a gym. A LOT of potential there.

And then the market crashed.

No more Chilis. No more Pollo Tropical (and I loved that place!). No more Panda Express. In comes Amscot. In comes Colortyme. In comes a dollar store. Out goes Winn Dixie.

As far as Avatar, I'm afraid that Poinciana is completely off of their radar, except for Solivita.
I didn't quote you on my original reply because it was getting really late and I had to reply with something only because this whole thing with AVATAR is upsetting..

Your first point about what does Poinciana have to offer potential businesses is exactly spot on.. Nothing. UNLESS the Toll road actually gets built then we really wouldn't be as far off the beaten path. That toll road would dump traffic onto Ronald Regan Parkway in Davenport right next to Champions Gate which is a beautiful area with shopping right at Posner Park. As you mentioned the 3 story medical complex being built right along Cypress Parkway will be helpful.

As far as Pollo Tropical and Panda Express, I'm actually glad those two places are gone, quality of service was horrible and at Panda Express all their food was pre-cooked, frozen and reheated.. Yuck. If you want good chinese the place across from Solivita is actually better then most chinese cuisine I've had in Central Florida.. But again, if you eat that 5 days a week you will have problems.. lol

And again back to AVATAR, I have noticed that the sign-age going into Poinciana has changed from "Poinciana an Avatar Community.. Deed Restricted" to just saying "Welcome to Poinciana" .. as if the rest of the homes were already built out in the middle of nowhere by an unknown origin. Sorta like a slap in the face to the rest of us residents.

Lets keep the discussion going.. Anyone else?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemarionvillage View Post
UNLESS the Toll road actually gets built then we really wouldn't be as far off the beaten path. That toll road would dump traffic onto Ronald Regan Parkway in Davenport right next to Champions Gate which is a beautiful area with shopping right at Posner Park.
Access to the area is critically important. I'm not sure if you had the pleasure of driving in the area yesterday afternoon. Tragic, but an elderly person pulled out in front of a truck at the intersection of Cypress Parkway and Old Pleasant Hill road. The elderly driver was a fatality. But this is illustrative. Really, our primary way in and out of the area, all 70K residents was stopped. The alternative was to head out to the west on 580, pick up 17/92 or 27 and bypass. I'm not sure that anyone expected Poinciana to have such a population spurt, and lack of access is a huge downside to living here.

Have you heard anything more about the toll road recently? The last I heard was that permitting was complete - there were some disputes about disrupting the environment across the Green Swamp, but I believe those have been resolved. I'm not sure if Avatar is still in the game as they were going to be financing a big portion of the project?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 PM

I just read about the accident on orlandosentinel.com, sad. That intersection is poorly designed, I really feel that commercial development on the left side of Cypress Parkway as you are coming into the community is at a disadvantage as there are no turn signals for traffic heading southbound to cross over. The only protected left turn is at doverplum which makes shopping on that side of the street even more undesirable.

The toll road has all the permits to be built, classified as "shovel ready".. AVATAR states they don't have the money to build and operate the road. Osceola stepped in and tried to obtain funding from the federal stimulus program via tiger grant but the project wasn't awarded any funding.

Osceola just recently formed a toll authority for projects such as the Poinciana Toll Road and Southport Connector but they don't have the funding to establish the authority to then in turn seek bonds to build the roads.. Mountains to climb.. but it looks like we are getting another gas station on the corner of Pleasant Hill Road and Poinciana Blvd with additional commercial space.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:45 PM

It always comes down to money That's good news about the additional gas station. Out of curiosity, I wonder how the other businesses near there are doing? The 7-11 always seems to have a brisk volume. Not sure about the Taco Bell/KFC, but I have been there once - the service was excellent and the quality spot-on (go ahead and laugh at the Gordon Ramsay critique of Taco Bell LOL)

Maybe the closer to Bellalago, the better for business? Just taking a stab at it.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 11,777 times
Wow! It amazes me that there are so many differing opinions here: some people love it while others clearly hate it. I can't comment because I haven't visited Poinciana yet, but as an investor I'm certainly attracted by the house prices -- there seems to be a lot of potential for upside growth over the next few years, particularly if some of the infrastructure problems could be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando