Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM

55 posts, read 107,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am still strongly considering relocating to Orlando to start a video game company. The city seems to have everything I need business wise, schools to recruit from i.e. DAVE school, Full Sail, and FIEA to hire from, low cost of living, beautiful all round weather and walkable/convenient areas. However the one gotcha is that when I do look at sites like POF and OkCupid, just finding someone somewhat attractive is an "OMG" moment. I also found another article that said that even the Magic cheerleaders aren't hot at all.

My other choices are San Diego and LA. Hotness is not 100% the factor but still.. pickings seem to be very slim. While Miami is nearby, it doesnt strike as a place where the women are particularly nerd friendly lol. San Diego would otherwise be the best compromise but lacks Orlando's film/video game focus.

This is pretty much the only dealbreaker factor, otherwise from an entrepreneurial pt of view, Orlando is a slam dunk. I will visit in August or as soon as I can, but until then, what do you guys think? lol

Last edited by fathamburger; 04-27-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM

114 posts, read 306,425 times
Well I have a couple of statements:

1. What is the connection between "a city with hot girls" and "placing a video game company in a city with hot girls"?

In fact, I would say it would keep your workers more focused if the city did not have hot girls.

2. Without breaking any rules, what are POF and OkCupid?

Never heard of them. And it might be a small sample of the girls in Orlando. Are they respectable sites?

Because if they aren't, what respectable "hot" chick would be caught dead there.

3. I am an alum of UCF. When I attended UCF, Playboy ranked our girls in TOP 5 for most attractive girls in the country for a period of years.

4. I live in NY now.

I came across more hot girls in Orlando than I do in NY.

I'm not saying that NY does not have hot girls. In fact if I said that it would be blasphemous. But without being mean, they are a ton of UGLY girls here too.

So in terms of proportionality I prefer what I saw in Orlando than NY.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 AM

55 posts, read 107,363 times
LOL there's no correlation. The hot girls are for me, and given that its a big sausage fest industry in general, if I could say that Orlando had a decent population of hot single girls on top of the other benefits I listed it would make it easier to lure from other States It would be a good selling pt vs places like Seattle with badly slanted male-female ratios being full of Bill Gates types. Just giving some context as to why I'm asking. POF = Plenty of Fish and it's the world's largest dating site by virtue of being free, OkCupid slants to a geekier crowd but both of them are probably the top free sites that are mostly real profiles, not faked.

Yeah I would agree with the small sample. I am really hoping it doesnt apply but for cities that have a more online/liberal populations i.e. west coast and Vancouver and Toronto, it gives a somewhat accurate sample but then when you do it for Miami and then it becomes very inaccurate since we know there are many attractive people in Miami period and they just don't spend a whole lot of time online.

Good perspective on NY (i've lived in both NY and NYC), yeah I didn't really see too many hot women over there either, not in Montreal so if Orlando has NY beat then that's at least a good start

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathamburger View Post
Hi,
what do you guys think? lol
I think you are not looking for an intelligent fact based conversation.

http://www.reece-eu.net/gallery/var/albums/funny/failed-troll-is-fail.jpg?m=1272634964 (broken link)

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM

114 posts, read 306,425 times
Quote:
LOL there's no correlation. The hot girls are for me, and given that its a big sausage fest industry in general, if I could say that Orlando had a decent population of hot single girls on top of the other benefits I listed it would make it easier to lure from other States It would be a good selling pt vs places like Seattle with badly slanted male-female ratios being full of Bill Gates types. Just giving some context as to why I'm asking. POF = Plenty of Fish and it's the world's largest dating site by virtue of being free, OkCupid slants to a geekier crowd but both of them are probably the top free sites that are mostly real profiles, not faked.

Yeah I would agree with the small sample. I am really hoping it doesnt apply but for cities that have a more online/liberal populations i.e. west coast and Vancouver and Toronto, it gives a somewhat accurate sample but then when you do it for Miami and then it becomes very inaccurate since we know there are many attractive people in Miami period and they just don't spend a whole lot of time online.

Good perspective on NY (i've lived in both NY and NYC), yeah I didn't really see too many hot women over there either, not in Montreal so if Orlando has NY beat then that's at least a good start
Okay I hear ya.

Here is what I will tell you to do.

Take a trip out here and spend a week and a half.

And you will see for yourself.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
aside from finding this topic quite humorous and wondering if its a joke, did it ever occur to you that quite possibly whichever sites you are going to just don't have a great following in Orlando? I'm married, and love it here, but have never heard someone describe the woman from here as unattractive.

I would think anywhere you go, you can find a girl for you, from the middle of no where Wisconsin, to Miami, FL...

If it works for your living arrangements, go for it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
UCF and the Orlando area have some of the most attractive women around (FL in general). I understand the need for good companionship as a young single guy but might suggest that using that as a criteria for your business decision is a majorly flawed business approach. Not to mention a bad dating approach as well, if you come off that shallow, women will see right through....the pretty and the ugly ones.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
It hilarious any time I read something that says there are not attractive women in Orlando. They are always from people that go to Disney and spend no time downtown. Florida is a hotbed for attractive people, and Orlando is no exception. Liberal Portland types? Not as much of that here. Think more Miami and LA types.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM

288 posts, read 734,035 times
Hey I love nerds.. It's pretty much of a given that hot girls are attracted to guys with lots of money and will appear out of the wood work in any city if they think you have it. Girls are like gold, they are where you find them. Why would anyone pay to advertise on some internet dating site when it's so incredibly easy to meet people (good looking ones) around here? I can't imagine that being an accurate slice (lol) of what lives any where. How about Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires or even Stockholm?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM

20 posts, read 98,390 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am still strongly considering relocating to Orlando to start a video game company. The city seems to have everything I need business wise, schools to recruit from i.e. DAVE school, Full Sail, and FIEA to hire from, low cost of living, beautiful all round weather and walkable/convenient areas. However the one gotcha is that when I do look at sites like POF and OkCupid, just finding someone somewhat attractive is an "OMG" moment. I also found another article that said that even the Magic cheerleaders aren't hot at all.

My other choices are San Diego and LA. Hotness is not 100% the factor but still.. pickings seem to be very slim. While Miami is nearby, it doesnt strike as a place where the women are particularly nerd friendly lol. San Diego would otherwise be the best compromise but lacks Orlando's film/video game focus.

This is pretty much the only dealbreaker factor, otherwise from an entrepreneurial pt of view, Orlando is a slam dunk. I will visit in August or as soon as I can, but until then, what do you guys think? lol
I think you have a very misinformed view of the female population in and around Orlando. I see many very very attractive women in this city.

Regarding the magic cheerleaders, a co-worker is dating one of the cheerleaders and I've met her and if you saw her you'd probably follow her around like a little puppy dog with stars in your eyes. She is definitely a fantastic looking woman, plus she's very down to earth and friendly too so go figure. You shouldn't try to get the feel of a city/metro based on some small group of women you might possibly one day meet. Women of all kinds are beautiful, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando