Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM

442 posts, read 2,907,139 times

Advertisements

Ok i have had it ....i would of been just fine if i did'nt get a discount and they left My Homeowners Ins the same but NOOOOOOO the Ins Co increased if 25%...I heard and read today that Crist Is Not happy with the Ins Companies doing this but what is that going to acomplish ? nothing , slap on the wrist and blah blah blah,, next yr we will increase it 50%..
Now , is there some number we could all call and flood with our questions and demands?
and if this is what Charlie has done for our Insurance i just can;t wait until the Taxes come due!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,170,089 times
As soon as I can pay off my mortgage, I'm dropping my homeowner's insurance. My house survived the eye of Charlie, with only a few shingles blown off. So I'm not worried about a hurricane blowing it down. It doesn't flood in my neighborhood. I just replumbed the house, so no pinhole problems for me. I guess it could burn down. I'll just take my chances when I can.

The worst that could happen is that my house, that was built in '72 could be completely destroyed. I still have the property, so I'll rebuild a new one if I have to. Insurance will probably cost me $4000/year soon, so after 10 years, I'll have saved $40,000. I figure that I can make about 10% on my money, so that will mean that I would have saved $160,000 in 10 years of not paying the insurance crooks. So, if it blows down in 10 years, I add another $150,000 to it, get a perfectly new house on the property that I own and I don't have to pay $150,000 to completely renovate a 45 year old house.

I know there's some faulty "insurance" logic in there; certainly some risk too. But, screw it, the only reason I'm paying for insurance is because of my mortgage. Sometimes you just have to take some risk. Who invented this "homeowner's insurance" scam anyway. I don't think anyone had homeowner's insurance before the '70's

Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM

307 posts, read 2,103,291 times
we just got dropped because of our golden retriver dogs! apparently they are on the "hit list" i couldn't believe it! sorry, just had to vent about that!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 PM

299 posts, read 1,330,368 times
Are you kidding me? No insurance because you have dogs? They are the best early detection you can get. Barking alerts to dangers like break ins, smoke, fire. I'm stumped on this one.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,271,845 times
A lot of the increases that you may have seen on your insurance renewals (as of June 2007) are the work of Mr. Crist. He has added on a ton of "assessments" (because “taxes” is a dirty word). Pull out your newest policy and take a look at all the lovely add on's the state has given you.

Until things get figured out between the Insurance companies and Tallahassee here are a few suggestions that might lower your premium:

#1. If you have added an Inflation Guard to your premium make sure that it is not adding to much coverage. Due to the housing slump many are over insured. Call your agent to have your coverages reassessed.
#2. Take advantage of the discounts associated with having an alarm system, electrical and structural upgrades, wired fire alarms – each companies discounts very. Also, many companies have discounts if your home has a Hip roof :Hip roof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#3. Increase your premium from $500 to $1000. $1000 is the industry standard.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:30 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,136,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholborn View Post
we just got dropped because of our golden retriver dogs! apparently they are on the "hit list" i couldn't believe it! sorry, just had to vent about that!
They increase the premiums because if a dog bites someone they can sue your Home owners insurance.

A Rotwiler, ok maybe, but GOLDEN RETRIEVERS?!?!?!?!?!?! you have got to be kidding me. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,742,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Are you kidding me? No insurance because you have dogs? They are the best early detection you can get. Barking alerts to dangers like break ins, smoke, fire. I'm stumped on this one.
The insurance companies have a list of "dangerous breeds" and if you have a dog on the list, they won't insure you. I hadn't heard about it until I was getting quotes for my homeowners policy.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,271,845 times
I have never heard of Golden Retrievers being on the hit list! That is extreme to say the least.

This is the common list of "unacceptable" breeds of dogs:

Staffordshire Terriers - "Pit Bull" Terriers
Rottweiler
Mastiff
Siberian Husky
Chow
Doberman
Wolf Hybrids
Bully Breeds
Akitas
Presa Canario

Most of these dogs are liabilities do to the high number of dog bites that the insurance companies will have to pay. And most companies want any excuse not to write someone in this state.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:54 PM

28 posts, read 84,446 times
Wow. My housemate here in South Florida just got dropped by her insurance company. I thought it was because of hurricanes. Maybe it was because of her mutt! She's as sweet as can be, the mutt, not the housemate, but she weighs about 80 pounds and can look pretty scary. We tie her and a little three legged dog outside for about 3 minutes a day (not supposed to do that in a HOA) and I wouldn't doubt it if some of the new neighbors that have kids are a bit concerned.

I think the housemate just got a quote from Citizens for about 4 grand a year for insurance. There goes her raise. Oh, and her mother who has a nice house in Ft. Lauderdale much closer to the ocean doesn't carry insurance and hasn't in years. She simply can't afford it, even if she could find it now.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
Insurance Co's have a license to steal. And they take advantage of it. Nationwide told my NEIGHBOR..That they are going to cancel ME next year... First thought... Why are they discussing MY business with MY NEIGHBOR????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: