Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM

55 posts, read 78,823 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in downtown Orlando. So we are moving mid June. I would like to know how far is the ride to Orlando. Of what I've seen they have very good schools there. We have 2 small kids and a preteen. We would like to live somewhere with a low crime rate. Can anyone give me some advice at what community I should look at? I will appricate your honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
The commute can be pretty bad depending on what time you leave to get to downtown. However, there are many alternate routes that you can take to get there quicker of I4 is jammed up. Generally speaking you want to stay west of I4 to be in the better school district. Good neighborhoods include Wekiwa, Sweetwater, Hunt Club, San Sebastian, Spring Oaks, the Springs, Sanlando, Bear Lake and the Sand Lake area right around the HS and Elementary school. Just about every area west of I4 in Altamonte meets your criteria for low crime good schools so that shouldn't be an issue. You'll probaly just need to focus on budget and access to I4.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM

105 posts, read 179,597 times
Default Life in Altamonte

I would have to strongly agree with Cranes Rooster. West of I4 also has more shopping options that are a little more spreadout and less crowded. For example East of I4 there is only one Publix which is small and crowded. West of I4 has three Publix grocery stores and they are less crowded.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
If you want the REALLY best schools, stay west of Montgomery and North of 436!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The commute can be pretty bad depending on what time you leave to get to downtown. However, there are many alternate routes that you can take to get there quicker of I4 is jammed up. Generally speaking you want to stay west of I4 to be in the better school district. Good neighborhoods include Wekiwa, Sweetwater, Hunt Club, San Sebastian, Spring Oaks, the Springs, Sanlando, Bear Lake and the Sand Lake area right around the HS and Elementary school. Just about every area west of I4 in Altamonte meets your criteria for low crime good schools so that shouldn't be an issue. You'll probaly just need to focus on budget and access to I4.

What will be an estimate to downtown when there is heavy traffic sorry I'm will be new to Fl? The neighborhoods you wrote down what county does it belong too and what type of people are there?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
In gridlock it can take up to 45 mins to get to DT from the 436 or Maitland blvd exit but on average in regular rush hour it probably be done around 30 mins. However, as stated you have at 5 other options of getting into downtown. All of the neighborhoods I mentioned are in Seminole County and specifically in the Lake Brantley High School district. They range from working class neighborhoods (Spring Oaks, San Sebastian) to Upper Middle class (Wekiwa) to affluent (Sweetwater, Lake Brantley). If your looking for those neighborhoods online it may be hard to find. Your better off searching by zip codes 32714, 32779, and the Seminole county side of 32703.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
I live in Wekiva and it takes me 25-30 mins normally to get downtown.

Bad days can be 45+

Commute home is the same.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Crane's Rooster : thanks for all your help well appreciated. I will be looking into those neighborhoods
Thanks every. Can anyone tell me is grocery shopping expensive down there too

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
I live in Wekiva and it takes me 25-30 mins normally to get downtown.

Bad days can be 45+

Commute home is the same.
Can you please let me know what county this belongs too please? The drive is not bad but then again I don't know how bad can the traffic be down there.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLifeStyle View Post
Crane's Rooster : thanks for all your help well appreciated. I will be looking into those neighborhoods
Thanks every. Can anyone tell me is grocery shopping expensive down there too
Most of the Wekiva neighborhoods are in Orange county.

Some are in Seminole.

Grocery costs compared to where?

To me its expensive, but I have 3 teenagers

I usually use ALDI's for most staples, and goto specialty stores for Organic items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando