U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM

193 posts, read 584,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathamburger View Post
The water bills especially are shocking to me though, never had water bills that high in my life! but then again I won't be paying for a family of 6 so hopefully things will be a bit more sane in that regard. would be more concerned about the AC bill please keep this thread updated especially when it starts to get humid apparently around August
There are only 2 of us (southwest Orange County) and our water bill hasn't been higher than $62 in a given month. The average for us is about $52. Our lawn irrigation water is reclaimed water with a separate meter but included in my numbers cited above.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 AM

812 posts, read 1,485,515 times
4kidsWow,

I would have your hubby look into whether or not Orlando Sanford airport can meet his traveling needs. If so, then I STRONGLY suggest checking out lake Mary, where there is a YMCA with a great pool and an awesome school district. No, it won't be great if you are targeting medical city as your future employer, but there are plenty of hospitals in the area.

Orlando Sanford Airport tends to be a touch more sophisticated (in my experience) as there are more international PAX than US. Unfortunately no matter where you go in this region you are always going to have to deal with travellers with children r/t the mouse house etc...

Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM

64 posts, read 134,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kidsWow View Post
Quick update: I visited the Oviedo Aquatic Center on Oviedo Blvd today. Where have I been? A great splash zone / zero-deth entry pool for kids. And a separate competitive size lap pool with 22! lap lanes open all year round!! It is kind of pricey, especially because we are not within the Oviedo "city" limits (although our postal address is Oviedo). But it the pricing is consistent with other places (YMCA, etc). Yay!!
Try Disney water parks...they are great for kids. If you FL resident you pay about $60 for Water Park After 2 p.m. (Annual Pass) per person 10 and older, and I believe $ 48 annually for annual pass for kids.

Water Parks | Walt Disney World Resort

Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM

16 posts, read 73,027 times
Default thank u

Thank u for that post . I'm a nurse wh may be relocating with two small kids soon and u were very honest and had great advice

Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 PM

17 posts, read 37,353 times
Default Update from Original Poster

I just wanted to give a quick update on my utility bills over the summer.

Water:
I did learn about reclaimed water - the water company (seminole county water in our case) can pipe in non-drinking water through a separate meter. That water would ONLY go to the lawn watering / irrigation. There is a signficant cost for this ($1000 - $3000 from my research). Since we are renters, we aren't making that investment at this home. We did start watering a little less over the summer (heavy rains b/c summer is the "rainy" season.). Also, our washer and dryer is the top load kind, up to 30 gallons used per load. The newer front loaders use 5 - 15 gallons per load. We do A LOT of laundry - 2 loads everyday. Bottom line: Our water bill range for the summer months: $180 - $220.

Electric:
Our summer electric bills - we run the A/C at 74 - 75 degrees 24/7 for our 2 adult / 4 kid, 2600 sq ft, poorly insulated, single pane window, low efficiency A/C house with a 5 year old swimming pool filter pump that runs 6 - 10 hours each day. We are renters here in our current home, so there isn't much we feel we can do about the lack of energy efficiency. I do plan to utilize the incentives by the electric company and perhaps federal tax credits to make our next home much more energy efficient. I have a friend who lives in a larger home (3300 sq ft) and pays similar electric bill due to increased energy efficiency in their home. Bottom line: Our electric bill range for the summer months: $345- 385.

Weather:
Ok, so I do LOVE the Florida weather. I was prepared for how hot it would be in June / July / August. I must admit I was a Bit surprised at the September weather - 90's each day. My midwest and northeast friends on facebook were writing about the leaves changing and the cooler weather. The Sept heat did start to get just the slightest touch of annoying Now that October is here, oh this is paradise. I LOVE this. 85 degrees in the afternoon. The skies just seem especially beautiful so often now. Maybe it is because I am spending more time outside?

Next house - our plans to purchase:
We are so invested in our neighborhood, my kids' school, friends we have, we found a great church close by, I love the local shopping, etc. Although Lake Nona is appealing withe selection of newer homes, we are just so happy here in Oviedo. The public schools (and private schools nearby) are fantastic here and that is worth so much. Additionally, there are just SO MANY incredible deals out there, so we found our "perfect" home 2 miles away from our current home (still in Oviedo) and we made an offer. The house is on the market as a short sale, so the process is taking months! That is a little hard to wait through, but it is a great price, a great floorplan for our family, and most importantly, totally in the center of everything we call our "community" here in Oviedo. The home we put an offer on is in a neighborhood called "Carrillon" or "Carillon" maybe? We love it.

Let me know any questions I can answer. No place is perfect, and so much depends on the relationships. We love Florida, we love Oviedo, and it is for both the fulfilling relationships we found so quickly here, as well as the incredible geographic and community features.

Last edited by 4kidsWow; 10-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: grammar mistakes, clarity

Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,485,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
4kidsWow,

I would have your hubby look into whether or not Orlando Sanford airport can meet his traveling needs. If so, then I STRONGLY suggest checking out lake Mary, where there is a YMCA with a great pool and an awesome school district. No, it won't be great if you are targeting medical city as your future employer, but there are plenty of hospitals in the area.

Orlando Sanford Airport tends to be a touch more sophisticated (in my experience) as there are more international PAX than US. Unfortunately no matter where you go in this region you are always going to have to deal with travellers with children r/t the mouse house etc...
After re reading the OP.... It came to mind that while targeting Lake Nona may work out great for you, the thing to keep in mind is that you can`t know at this point in time where you will end up working. It is even possible that you may even get a job there and hate it. Personally you can`t pry me out of Seminole county for anything.. Even if I end up working at the Lake Nona there, I`d rather commute than live in Orange county

Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM

9 posts, read 32,140 times
I loved reading your post. My family is considering a move from Philly to Windermere and you are talking about the things that no one really tells you-how much bills are. We are also going to rent first, to make sure we like the area....after much research, we think we prefer Windermere. The problem is getting jobs...my husband is in the restaurant business so hopefully he could get into a restaurant/hotel for work. I teach elementary school and Im not so sure if its easy to get a job teaching...fingers crossed. Thanks again for the great info and I wish you and your family well!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 PM

741 posts, read 3,340,015 times
4kidswow, I feel exactly the way you do! We also are newbies to FL. I am on the border of Oviedo and Orange county.. But live in Orange. We did live in Raleigh NC for 3 yrs, bought a house there and realized it was not for us.. But FL, I love! Maybe not so much the neighborhood I bought a house in, but, for now, since I got a great deal on the house I can stick it out for a couple of yrs till the market improves and I can sell. And The Lake Nona area is in my sights also.. Welcome to FL!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,701,380 times
Well..actually,....PK is paid by the taxpayers of FL..which you are one of now...

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,730 times
Thank you for this honest post. Me, My wife and 3 Kids (4, 6 and 4months) are considering moving to Orlando area in about a month or two from Cleveland. That was very informative! Once again, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando