Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM

16 posts, read 80,588 times

Advertisements

I'm getting nervous with all the negative feedback and comments that I'm reading about the public school system around orange and seminole county ... Orlando suburbs ... is private school the only choice ? Any positive comments about public school system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
There are good and bad schools everywhere. Im a father who has a 10 year old daughter in the Orange County public school system and we are very happy.

You are going to find on these boards that there is a lot of negativity, and you will see the same people complain not only about schools but everything. The reasons for this im afraid I wouldnt be able to comment on, but what I can tell you is that it is not all true. Im a Realtor in the area and there are a number of great online resources which I direct my clients to which provide info on schools, such as which school is zoned for particular properties and their State ratings, and then other sites which actually rate schools in terms of parents comments and views about the schools their children are in which all my clients have found very helpful. Naturally there are going to be schools which perhaps are not great but others which are good, and the types of sites I referenced will give you a much better and fairer overall picture than what you will find on this site.

I hope this helps

Nick

Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
This is grossly misstated. I went to public school here in Central FL in the Lake Brantley School District (Seminole County). This is purely my personal experience but they offered more AP classes than I could fill my schedule with. I took, and passed, enough AP classes to enter college as a sophomore. I was top third of my class, nowhere near the top 10% but got into every college I applied to. I ended up at UF which even back than was competitive. My classmates went to state schools in large numbers but I had classmates who ended up at Harvard, Duke, Vanderbilt, UNC Chapel Hill, Brown, Virginia and few others I can't remember. Lake Mary, Winter Park, and Dr. Phillips had reputations comparable to Brantley back than, and just as good as any private school. My point is there are many great school systems here that you can get a first rate education if you put your heart into it. Ultimately, you will not be at a lack of opportunities, it's up to the child and the parent to take full advantage of those opportunities.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Orange and Seminole Counties have good school districts

As long as you avoid the backwards counties like Osceola, Lake, and Polk counties, you will be just fine

Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Private schools are definitely not the only option here. I went to a good public high school (Dr. Phillips) and got into a good New York college. My best friend, also a product of Orange County Public Schools is currently attending Harvard. If the area is good, the schools are likely to be good as well.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Private schools are definitely not the only option here. I went to a good public high school (Dr. Phillips) and got into a good New York college. My best friend, also a product of Orange County Public Schools is currently attending Harvard. If the area is good, the schools are likely to be good as well.
Ohh DP, the producer of boy band greats and Wayne Brady. I will give you credit for Johhny Damon and Julius Peppers.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
The people complaining are probably the northeastern transplants that think everything down here is bad. Don't pay them any attention.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Oviedo, Lake Mary, Lake Brantley, Winter Park and Hunters Creek are by and large the top districts (in order). Dr Phillips has slipped a bit and is in the 2nd tier now (B-rated).

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Lake Brantley is where I intend to have my kids Graduate. I have no fear.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
My wife and I just don't trust the public school system. We put our two children into private school and are pretty much happy with the performance of the school and our children enjoy attending this school.

The local primary school is only 6 years old and has a dozen portable classrooms next to it now? Why? Are children from failing schools being sent here? Are children out of the district getting in illegally? It is starting to look like a trailer park.

There are some great public schools but to be honest, what is great today, will it be great in a few years? Winter Park HS got down graded to a "B" last fall which surprised me considering it's reputation.

It is a tough call to put your child into a private school because it is not cheap. But my friend told me he choose that route "because the best gift you can give your child is a great education".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando