Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 AM

442 posts, read 2,904,503 times

Advertisements

I would move to tampa , As one stated being white and Speaking English is a dying breed over here in orlando ......

plus the people over in the tampa area are nicer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times
"As one stated being white and Speaking English is a dying breed over here in orlando ......"

you got that right, aj67. but i bet tampa is going to be heavily populated with hispanics too.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,918 times
We have plenty of Hispanic Peoples They live in West Tampa mostly and you gain 10 pounds just driving through and smelling all the food cooking. Not a bad community here, in fact, many of the cities wealthy and successful families are Hispanic here.

Viva la Tampa!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM

239 posts, read 796,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
We have plenty of Hispanic Peoples They live in West Tampa mostly and you gain 10 pounds just driving through and smelling all the food cooking. Not a bad community here, in fact, many of the cities wealthy and successful families are Hispanic here.

Viva la Tampa!
Are you talking about the Town & Country area? If so, I agree.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 AM

I don't consider T&C Tampa as it's not part of the city, it's unincorporated Hillsborough County. West Tampa is North of Kennedy East of Dale Mabry and West of Downtown.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 PM

105 posts, read 549,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
Orlando has better gays

Tampa -- it's not just the 'burbs. South Tampa/Downtown is a nice city. Downtown is really starting to make a space for itself. Tampa is bigger than Orlando, has better weather since we're on the water, and how can one possibly say that Orlando has better asthetics? Sure, if you go ouside the city limits and USF and stuff, but Tampa itself is beautiful. Check out Hyde Park, Bayshore Blvd, Beach Park, Westshore Palms, Downtown (esp. around the performing arts center and UT)... I like our nearby beaches better than the east coast ones, they are warmer and have soft white sand

I'm not slamming Orlando, BTW, just giving my opinion on why I like Tampa more. Y'all still have a WAY better party and gay crowd than we do (but we have better lesbians)
Well my opinion is based that if you are in the 20-30 age range and single, Orlando is a better place to live. I've been to Hyde Park and all the trendy bars the fact is there aren't many. Whiskey Park, Macdintons, Mangroves, and that about it; not too much to offer to young singles and I don't think Ybor and Channelside are fun. Downtown Orlando you have 30+ bars and clubs for everyone's taste. And I stick by my aesthetics claim, USF area is suitcase city and another example is being on Howard Avenue...once you cross Kennedy it immediately turns ghetto.....just my opinion...Tampa is a good city but everyone has their preference

Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgoose View Post
Well my opinion is based that if you are in the 20-30 age range and single, Orlando is a better place to live. I've been to Hyde Park and all the trendy bars the fact is there aren't many. Whiskey Park, Macdintons, Mangroves, and that about it; not too much to offer to young singles and I don't think Ybor and Channelside are fun. Downtown Orlando you have 30+ bars and clubs for everyone's taste. And I stick by my aesthetics claim, USF area is suitcase city and another example is being on Howard Avenue...once you cross Kennedy it immediately turns ghetto.....just my opinion...Tampa is a good city but everyone has their preference
Orlando does have way better nightlife than Tampa. I've considered moving there a time or two. ...and you're right about the looks of the cities, outside of the areas I named it's not very nice to look at. However, I thought Orlando was like that to. Speaking of architecture I am SOOOOO jealous of Orlando's SunTrust building. It's Gorgeous!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM

24 posts, read 76,559 times
I'd never gotten that impression at all. It doesn't bother me nor phase me when I focus on what languages are speaking around me. I know some spanish from high school but could never make out full sentences. Tampa and Orlando are no different. I'd heard all kinds of languages and accents from both cities. I loved that part of Florida; diversity. We would tend to try to see what language they were speaking at times when we focused. Who cares what language they speak? My children speak 3 languages and the way I look at it, the world can not evolve around the states. In order for our country to sustain leadership in this world, speaking multiple languages is essential.

Just remember, folks that make comments in regards to race only bring themselves down and the state they reside in. OT: Florida would not exist without the northerners. Northerners keep Florida's economy rolling in many ways. Ask your governor, he will agree with you. First, they spend money on tourism. I could elaborate how that works but I'm giving you all the benefit of the doubt. 2nd: Northern/Midwestern families move to Florida raising the test scores up to those native children with low scores. Unfortunately, when those children move back home, they'll be behind. That's money given to your state (subsidies) from the Federal Government, especially when you adapt to the NCLBA. So many teachers oppose that act but hey Florida is the one who screwed up the election.

Why pick on the Northerners/Midwesterners when they are paying all that social security for you when you retire, plus helping you keep your job? Never understood why so many natives never understood how the economy rolls. So when you see someone speaking something different than English, ask yourself what is it hurting? I don't know, I'm intrigued by different languages and wish I had time to learn them all. It's definitely a plus on my resume which would result in more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
I would move to tampa , As one stated being white and Speaking English is a dying breed over here in orlando ......

plus the people over in the tampa area are nicer!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkynfl View Post
I'd never gotten that impression at all. It doesn't bother me nor phase me when I focus on what languages are speaking around me. I know some spanish from high school but could never make out full sentences. Tampa and Orlando are no different. I'd heard all kinds of languages and accents from both cities. I loved that part of Florida; diversity. We would tend to try to see what language they were speaking at times when we focused. Who cares what language they speak? My children speak 3 languages and the way I look at it, the world can not evolve around the states. In order for our country to sustain leadership in this world, speaking multiple languages is essential.

Just remember, folks that make comments in regards to race only bring themselves down and the state they reside in. OT: Florida would not exist without the northerners. Northerners keep Florida's economy rolling in many ways. Ask your governor, he will agree with you. First, they spend money on tourism. I could elaborate how that works but I'm giving you all the benefit of the doubt. 2nd: Northern/Midwestern families move to Florida raising the test scores up to those native children with low scores. Unfortunately, when those children move back home, they'll be behind. That's money given to your state (subsidies) from the Federal Government, especially when you adapt to the NCLBA. So many teachers oppose that act but hey Florida is the one who screwed up the election.

Why pick on the Northerners/Midwesterners when they are paying all that social security for you when you retire, plus helping you keep your job? Never understood why so many natives never understood how the economy rolls. So when you see someone speaking something different than English, ask yourself what is it hurting? I don't know, I'm intrigued by different languages and wish I had time to learn them all. It's definitely a plus on my resume which would result in more money.

You do make some valid points about northerners helping our state grow and maintain its economy....on the other hand.....I think people that are from Florida like i am just want the new transplants to respect our culture ......i know Florida is a transient state but we have alot of southern influences and our own way of life here.....its all about respect when you hear people are angry on here .......it feels like we as locals arent getting the respect of anyone giving a crap about how things were here when we grew up....it seems that outsiders just want to bring thier ways and show how they do things overall instead of assimilating to the new place they live in....that is my view on it......there are great personalities that ive met from up north and some people that ive actually heard say they like it better here than there and it had nothing to do with how bad crime was.....and then there is the majority who are all just homesick in my opinion...they are the ones who say things to try to show people from Florida that we havent seen a real life or real issues in our communities without even knowing the history behind our community......but i give "everyone" local/non-local a chance to give and take respect from me before i judge thier character

Old 09-30-2007, 02:20 PM

7 posts, read 29,708 times
If you are considering Tampa there is a small town just east of Tampa (Plant City)
only twenty five miles from downtown. This little town is growing transitioning from
a rural town to a suburban community. It is convenient to everything with
4 Interstate 4 exits. From Plant City you can be in Disney World within an hour
and in downtown Tampa within thirty minutes. Plant City is joined at the hip with
its larger Polk County neighbor (Lakeland) which is one of the most beautiful cities
in central Florida. The towns people in Plant City are very friendly and most places
you live in town you will have good neighbors. For a town its size Plant City has
many restaurants and fast food establishments but is a bit lacking of motels (only
4) along the Interstate. Many cities of similar size and smaller have more motels.
Plant City also has some very good public schools. It has some beautiful churches
downtown as well. Every March there is a huge Strawberry Festival that comes to
town as the East Hillsborough County area raises more winter strawberries than any
place in the world. Plant City is not like Brandon which is a huge unincorporated suburban development in East Hillsborough but it is an independent established city of its own. It some sense Plant City has a little more in common with its Polk County
neighbors like Auburndale and Bartow than it does with the rest of Hillsborough County.
Like these Polk County communities many of the Plant City residents work in the Polk
County phosphate industries. For employment purposes Plant City is close enough
to Lakeland on the east and Tampa on the west to commute to work in either place.
Plant City still has a quiet small town atmosphere making life here contented and peaceful. Being close to larger cities makes Plant City a place where you can have
the best of both worlds. I would recommend Plant City as one of the best secrets
around if you want to live in the Tampa area.

Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando