Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 AM

16 posts, read 28,698 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a new job in Lake Mary. He'll start next month. We have corp accommodations for 1st couple months, then will need to rent. Have not visited Lake Mary yet. hoping to this coming week.

Looking for a place to rent (hopefully $1,500 per month or less) that will be good for us to settle in. Don't want to buy at this time. Have a great 3 bed/2.5 bath in Jacksonville Beach we need to rent out. We've loved Jax Bch. Were welcomed by 6 different neighbors within a couple of days of moving in, regularly ccok out with neighbors, can walk to beach, restaurants, festivals, etc. Nice parks & good A schools in neighborhood.

Can we get these things in Lake Mary/Orlando? Where should we move? How about apartments vs rent?

Musts: 1/2 hr max one-way commute
Good preschool (any recommendations?)
Ability to walk in neighborhood safely

Wish list:
Things to do in walking or biking distance: festivals, etc not amusement parks
Job opportunities for me (exp is in corp marketing)
Friendly neighbors who will welcome us, hang out &
become friends
Nice park with good playground nearby

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM

26,808 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Look no further than Lake Mary itself. It's one of the most desirable places to live in the metro area as the schools are "A" rated from pre-K/elementary through high school and you'll find a majority demographic like yourselves. The area east of I-4, south of Lake Mary Boulevard and north/west of 46-A is the best section to check out in terms of convenience and amenities.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Look no further than Lake Mary itself. It's one of the most desirable places to live in the metro area as the schools are "A" rated from pre-K/elementary through high school and you'll find a majority demographic like yourselves. The area east of I-4, south of Lake Mary Boulevard and north/west of 46-A is the best section to check out in terms of convenience and amenities.
I second that I'd also add Longwood to the list.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 68,708 times
Default Hello

We just moved a month to a semi furnished rental, We live in kissimmee area. right in the heart of everything, I wouldn't live anywhere else in fl at this point in my life. The great thing is even though we are tourist central, we live in a VERY Quiet community. We met a wonderful Agent Named Pam Kelly her number is 407-414-4290. I felt she was very in tuned as to what we wanted, and she also know some GREAT furnished places. Good Luck,
Robyn

Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 AM

26,808 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawn View Post
We just moved a month to a semi furnished rental, We live in kissimmee area. right in the heart of everything, I wouldn't live anywhere else in fl at this point in my life. The great thing is even though we are tourist central, we live in a VERY Quiet community. We met a wonderful Agent Named Pam Kelly her number is 407-414-4290. I felt she was very in tuned as to what we wanted, and she also know some GREAT furnished places. Good Luck,
Robyn
Ummm...a Kissimmee to Lake Mary commute would take over an hour...

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 17,721 times
Default lake mary

I think Longwood and Lake Mary are the best palces to live in Seminole County. Both have great schools and are very desirable. Longwood has one neighborhood called Sabal Point which is very park like and friendly. Sweetwater is a little farther out but the same applies there. Some of those houses still have the old formica kitchens but it is still nice there. Lake Mary started to boom in the late 80s and early 90s and continued until the booom/crash. Sweetwater is a little older for the most part, but I would def consider it. There are a lot of cookie cutter houses crammed together in the Crossings area of LM, but they are still considered desirable. You have to get used to seeing a garage in front with tons of cars parked on the street in the Crossings area of LM. Your opinion will probably be affected by what you are used to seeing where you live now. Flat straight streets were hard for me to get my head around when I moved here 23 years ago. FYI There is also an open water treatment plant on Green Way Blvd in Lake Mary, and sometimes it stinks in a mile radius, so beware of living close to those. I bought my first home in Silver Lakes 1988 and the realtor just ignored me when I asked what those "round swimming pool looking things were". At 5 in the afternoon every one knows what they are. There are also a number of communities (mostly on the west side of I- 4) that are quite expensive and nice. If I was middle class and looking for a neighborhood that feels like home with trees and an occasional hill or twist to a street, I would look into Longwood 32779 zip code. Winter Springs (Tuscawilla) should also be considered. Tuscawilla is close to the 417 and I-4 and there is a strong sense of community there. A work commute to Lake Mary wouldn't be far from there either. Sometimes using the 417 from Winter Springs can add up money wise. You can message me if you have more questions.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 AM

7 posts, read 17,721 times
Default Job in Lake Mary

If you can afford Heathrow, I would look there. You could get a social membership at Heathrow country club many years ago that allows swimming at the CC Pool and that used to be a fun hang out on Sats and Sundays. They used to have bands etc. Holy Cross Lutheran had an excellent Pre School.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
Agreed on Lake Mary and Longwood. You could also look into Altamonte Springs and Winter Springs.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:18 PM

105 posts, read 192,842 times
Lake Mary is a very nice area...with a lot to do in and within the surrounding areas.
From what I understand the school system is fairly good, much better than Volusia County.
Lake Mary Prep is a great school as I know a few people that have chose that school for their young kids.
Places of interest for when you come to visit/move are listed below.
* Colonial Village- Lake Mary- for movies, ice cream, entertainment, dinning etc.
* Sanford Mall- one exit over
* Amaya Papaya- Casselberry for your son- play center for kids. http://www.amayapapaya.com/
* Down town Sanford- alive after five, farmer's Market, great park at Lake Monroe. http://sanfordinfo.com/
* Lake Mary has plenty of shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc...I know they also
have a farmer's market at Down town Lake Mary. The sweet Shoppe is a great family owned place
to get gelato, ice cream or snacks.
* Menchies also just opened in the area...
* A must to check out for a family fun day is Mount Dora
* Tree farm at at Christmas time http://www.santaschristmastreeforest.com/
* Down town Deland for browsing, lunch etc...

I think you'll be happy in this area...
other areas of interest may be Ovideo, Appoka (some parts)
and Winter park/college park area.

Good luck to you & your family

Last edited by Del to Corn; 06-27-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,119 times
I am very curious to hear about the schools in Lake Mary and Longwood. Specificcally for Alaqua Lakes/Alaqua and also Heathrow. What other subdivisions/communities are very similar to the ones I have mentioned here? *how hot is hot in the summer? can you go outside/use the pool etc..or is it just "too darn hot"? So many questions and research to do. I am trying to narrow down areas and also the schools at this time. Thank you for all info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando