Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wrong again, Florida no longer has such a ban in place. I think the OP deserves to hear the truth, and not the rantings of a misinformed poster who is set on discrediting Florida at every opportunity.

Florida Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Florida Gay Adoption Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional - NYTimes.com

Even the absolutely shameful Governor Rick Scott (Democrats are to blame for his election BTW) says he isn't going to challenge the court ruling that declared Fl's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.

Rick Scott says he opposes gay adoption but won't challenge court ruling - St. Petersburg Times

Rick Scott personally opposed to gay adoption but doesn't plan to revive ban | jacksonville.com
FL is not a liberal state. So the ban was recently lifted, that makes it welcoming? Not the same thing.

You know Orlando and that is it. People who have lived in other parts of the country have something to compare it to.

It may be hard for you to comprehend since this is all you know, but people coming from more liberal areas may not like it. And may find it too conservative for their tastes.

And do you really trust Rick Scott?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Best reply post on a board EVER!! Facts are a thing of beauty! Facts with sources are magnificent!!
Thanks Ted, it's funny how people openly choose to ignore the progress we're making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree with Granny Sue regarding College Park. It has the liberal vibe you're looking for, a nice sense of community and in my opinion a higher concentration of women than some of the more gay male-centric neighborhoods downtown. Good luck!
Excellent recommendation Kyle, as some areas are obviously going to be better than others (just like in any metro area in any other part of the US).

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL is not a liberal state. So the ban was recently lifted, that makes it welcoming? Not the same thing.

You know Orlando and that is it. People who have lived in other parts of the country have something to compare it to.

It may be hard for you to comprehend since this is all you know, but people coming from more liberal areas may not like it. And may find it too conservative for their tastes.

And do you really trust Rick Scott?
You're right about 2 things Seain, I don't trust Rick Scott, and Florida is not a liberal state. Florida's a purple swing state which is pretty evenly split between the Right and Left. However, Democrats do out number Republicans in a fair majority, however since they tend to be transplants and this is not home home to them, they have dropped the ball on consistently getting out to vote (in my experiences).

However let's not label accepting people for who they are as a Democrat vs Republican thing. So while you've tried to throw this thread into a tailspin about rather arbitrary political identities, the truth is hate & non-hate come in all different packages. Florida in my opinion is not a very hateful place, and I have in fact lived and visited elsewhere.

To the OP, welcome to Florida, hopefully you'll find your perfect Orlando neighborhood.

PS. The reason I said Democrats are to blame for Rick Scott is because they hold a significant majority in voter registration in Florida, however falter in voter turnout. Some posters would however like you to believe that Florida's election results reflect the populace of Florida, which is not true at all. There's even been great conversations on CD about this before, see:

Why doesn't Florida's political culture match its demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando