Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,202 times

Advertisements

I am from Queens, NY, and my partner and I are thinking about moving to Orlando. Mainly because all of her family has either just moved there recently, or is making plans to. I am considering it just because we have a baby boy, and I would love to have a house with a yard for him, and the real estate market in Queens is outrageous.

One thing that makes me uncertain is that because we are a two mommy household, I am scared that we will face a lot of discrimination out in Orlando. In NY, it is not very prevalent, but I don't know what we will face in Florida.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,033 times
My advice would be to stay in the City of Orlando, particularly in the downtown neighborhoods if possible. I don't think you'll experience any significant amount of discrimination throughout Central Florida but the downtown area tends be more liberal than the out lying areas and does have a large gay population. My experience is downtown you probably won't get a second look, plus the old historic downtown neighborhoods are nice areas to raise a family. Walkable, convenient, many parks and good schools. Look in the areas of Thornton Park, Eola Heights, Colonialtowne, Audubon Park, Delaney Park and Baldwin Park (I know it's alot of "Parks" but for some reason just about every neighborhood in Orlando ends in "Park"). Best of Luck to you.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,202 times
Thank you very much, Crane's Rooster! Your reply was very informative!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
You really think a community that hosts one of the largest gay celebrations and has one of the largest gay communities is gonna be phased by 2 women raising children? I agree with Rooster, DT and surrounding neighborhoods are your best bet for many reasons, but the truth is you'll be fine in almost any one of the suburbs less than 20-30 miles out. People may look, as in notice or ask themselves did I see that correctly, but don't worry they'll just go about their day and not say a word. Chances are they are even from Queens, NY or somewhere up there anyways.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You really think a community that hosts one of the largest gay celebrations and has one of the largest gay communities is gonna be phased by 2 women raising children? I agree with Rooster, DT and surrounding neighborhoods are your best bet for many reasons, but the truth is you'll be fine in almost any one of the suburbs less than 20-30 miles out. People may look, as in notice or ask themselves did I see that correctly, but don't worry they'll just go about their day and not say a word. Chances are they are even from Queens, NY or somewhere up there anyways.
Absofreakinglutely!!! The only place in Florida you could do 'better' as a gay couple is Key West!!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:31 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Just to add another Park....add College Park to your area of search. As Orlando (and surrounding area) grows it becomes more and more tolerant of all things.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
The OP needs to Google Rick Scott and adoption and gay parents. FL doesn't allow gay adoption. And Scott has spoken openly that he is against gay couples adopting.

This couple down the road may want to adopt children.

Telling someone Orlando is becoming more tolerant of various lifestyles isn't the same thing as saying it will be accepted.

Orlando is not San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR , or NYC where people wouldn't even blink at a same sex couple.

Having a gay pride parade doesn't define or say everything will be fine and dandy. And most likely a couple with a child is isn't going to base their move a pride parade.

Especially for someone coming from NYC.

Some people on here define everything they know by Orlando, forgetting that people who live in larger more progressive areas may be used to more "liberal" views on this subject.

What you consider to be open minded down here they may find provincial.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The OP needs to Google Rick Scott and adoption and gay parents. FL doesn't allow gay adoption. And Scott has spoken openly that he is against gay couples adopting.

This couple down the road may want to adopt children.

Telling someone Orlando is becoming more tolerant of various lifestyles isn't the same thing as saying it will be accepted.

Orlando is not San Francisco, CA or Portland, OR , or NYC where people wouldn't even blink at a same sex couple.

Having a gay pride parade doesn't define or say everything will be fine and dandy. And most likely a couple with a child is isn't going to base their move a pride parade.

Especially for someone coming from NYC.

Some people on here define everything they know by Orlando, forgetting that people who live in larger more progressive areas may be used to more "liberal" views on this subject.

What you consider to be open minded down here they may find provincial.
Wrong again, Florida no longer has such a ban in place. I think the OP deserves to hear the truth, and not the rantings of a misinformed poster who is set on discrediting Florida at every opportunity.

Florida Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Florida Gay Adoption Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional - NYTimes.com

Even the absolutely shameful Governor Rick Scott (Democrats are to blame for his election BTW) says he isn't going to challenge the court ruling that declared Fl's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.

Rick Scott says he opposes gay adoption but won't challenge court ruling - St. Petersburg Times

Rick Scott personally opposed to gay adoption but doesn't plan to revive ban | jacksonville.com

Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wrong again, Florida no longer has such a ban in place. I think the OP deserves to hear the truth, and not the rantings of a misinformed poster who is set on discrediting Florida at every opportunity.

Florida Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Florida Gay Adoption Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional - NYTimes.com

Even the absolutely shameful Governor Rick Scott (Democrats are to blame for his election BTW) says he isn't going to challenge the court ruling that declared Fl's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.

Rick Scott says he opposes gay adoption but won't challenge court ruling - St. Petersburg Times

Rick Scott personally opposed to gay adoption but doesn't plan to revive ban | jacksonville.com
Best reply post on a board EVER!! Facts are a thing of beauty! Facts with sources are magnificent!!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
I agree with Granny Sue regarding College Park. It has the liberal vibe you're looking for, a nice sense of community and in my opinion a higher concentration of women than some of the more gay male-centric neighborhoods downtown. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando