Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning a move to Florida?
Yes, I have to go, job transfer, school, etc. 18 10.00%
Yes, or at least I think so 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, want out or already left! 46 25.56%
Live in Florida, love it (I'm not a FL moving co. or R.E. Agent) 73 40.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 AM

378 posts, read 829,889 times

Advertisements

Confused by both the very negative and positive comments that seem to be in all the Florida Forums? It's because everybody moving to Florida is hoping it will improve their life. But 50% soon find out that living there is much different than a vacation there. They get so disgusted with the place they move out. The other 50% love the Florida lifestyle.

From the year 2000 to 2009
851,262 people moved to Florida.
479,586 people move out!
Above statistics quoted from the "Florida Move Guide" free preview that anyone can verify at Amazon.com

You are smart by checking out the info on this website. What you should try to figure out BEFORE you move is what group will you be in. The happy group, or the group that loses a fortune by moving down, just to move back. The above numbers show you will probably have only a 50/50 shot at success, and explains why the comments aren't more like 8 to 2 like some other areas.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
I'd like to know the statistics for other states. Also, the people who moved out weren't just the people who had recently moved in. Someone who had lived in Florida for 50 years and loved it may just have decided to try something new and left. Similarly, I left in 2009 after being in FL for 16 years yet I still loved the state and moved back this year. I just don't really agree with the 50/50 shot at success.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I just don't really agree with the 50/50 shot at success.

Moving to another place works for some people and is a disaster for others. It's not a Florida, California, Arizona, or other state problem, and I object to the OP trying to characterize moving to FLORIDA as a 50/50 proposition.

I'm telling everyone right here and now, that there is nothing that makes Florida better or worse than any state for just about anybody.... except maybe LeBron..

What makes the difference is what people are used to and what changes people are willing to make and accept.

When it comes to culture: Come down here from New York City, being used to multiculturalism; you should be fine. Come here from a state where people are isolated and multiple cultures are shunned; you will not last long here.

When it comes to adversity: Some people are engineered able to figure why what they did before they moved isn't working, make the necessary changes here and thrive, others fail.

When it comes to economics: Some people need a million dollars in the bank to be happy, others can survive on less.

Those factors are not things Florida can control or change, they are the way they are and people from outside of here are willing to accept those things or they are not.

Is Florida for Everyone? HELL NO!!!, But guess what? People don't need ignorant "polls" 'warning' them about moving here. They need intelligent and informed opinion, not fear mongering.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
I think you need to have a job lined up before you move ANYWHERE, unless you have family or someone planning to take you in.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

20 posts, read 73,628 times
The warnings here are good to know. I have read them all and taken everything into account. However, I believe I will love Florida. I am moving down to Clermont this week and I am looking forward to it! I know its not going to be easy, but I am willing to work hard and do what it takes to survive.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Where do you suggest people move? California? Michigan? New York? New Jersey? All of those states have major issues, just like FL

Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 PM

26 posts, read 118,918 times
I voted that I love FL. We moved last year but now we're talking about moving back to NH. We both have wonderful jobs here, but we just had a son (we weren't planning on having kids down here) and I'd like my son to grow up with his grandparents nearby.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 17,571 times
Default Moved back to Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Confused by both the very negative and positive comments that seem to be in all the Florida Forums? It's because everybody moving to Florida is hoping it will improve their life. But 50% soon find out that living there is much different than a vacation there. They get so disgusted with the place they move out. The other 50% love the Florida lifestyle.

From the year 2000 to 2009
851,262 people moved to Florida.
479,586 people move out!
Above statistics quoted from the "Florida Move Guide" free preview that anyone can verify at Amazon.com

You are smart by checking out the info on this website. What you should try to figure out BEFORE you move is what group will you be in. The happy group, or the group that loses a fortune by moving down, just to move back. The above numbers show you will probably have only a 50/50 shot at success, and explains why the comments aren't more like 8 to 2 like some other areas.
Was told I sould leave my home in Florida after only living there 3 months, a hurricane coming. Didn't know if our house would be there when we were allowed to return. 62 years in Ohio, I was never made to leave my home. I moved back to Ohio, had to sell my Florida house at a big loss.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:49 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joer69 View Post
Was told I sould leave my home in Florida after only living there 3 months, a hurricane coming. Didn't know if our house would be there when we were allowed to return. 62 years in Ohio, I was never made to leave my home. I moved back to Ohio, had to sell my Florida house at a big loss.
At least with hurricanes you get warning, unlike tornadoes.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
Hurricanes are one reason, newbies who move down here are scared of them, and, the media really plays them up. Honestly, in most cases, you have a week to prepare, and, if you look around, you will see many homes that were built 40 years ago and are still standing.

Then you have the senior population, a couple moves down here, he dies, and the mrs wants to move back up north to be closer to the family. Or, they both die, home goes on the market, counted in the equation of people leaving Florida.

No matter where one lives, there are issues.

I started coming down to Anna Marie Island in the late seventies, bought a town home in 1986, and moved here in 1994. Although, I no longer live on the island, I love it here, and will stay until I konk out and become a statistic.... another one who left Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando