Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,134 times

Advertisements

Ok, let me give everyone a little background before asking for relocation advice. I'll give it to you in a nutshell...Sept 2010 diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer, 8 months of chemo (torture), bi-lateral mastectomy & 6 weeks of radiation...cancer free aka - remission. I just turned 35 & have 3 kids under the age of 13. I've lived in Phoenix, AZ my entire life & desperately want to leave. Being a huge Disney fan, moving to California would seem to be my 1st choice but it is SUPER expensive. We frequently visit CA & in my opinion it is not worth the money. I've come to a point in my life where I realized that life is short & if I want to move then I should move. Now, I know that working for Disney might be laughable to some but it has always been a dream of mine. I have been a stay at home mom now for 13 years & quite frankly dont want a career. My husband makes $80,000.00 a year & I just want something make a little extra cash & have fun doing it. I want to be close enough but not too close to WDW & in a good area with a good school district. Does an area like that exist? Being in a nice area is extremely important to me as it will just be me & the kids for quite some time. I would be willing to have a commute to WDW if it meant that I was in a nice area with good schools. That being said I'm scheduled to make the move there in late February of 2012. I'm looking forward to embarking on this new chapter in my life & any advice I could get would be great! Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
The nicest areas next to Disney are Dr. Phillips and Windermere. Both have really good schools. Dr. Phillips is a little busier with lots of shopping, restaurants, and the entertainment of Universal and I-Drive in the vicinity, but still has that family community feel. Windermere has two areas- new and old. The older part can be very expensive and has beautiful oak-lined streets and established neighborhoods. New Windermere is a bit further away from everything but closer to Disney. It feels a little like you're in the middle of nowhere, but the houses are new and cheaper. Hope this helps

Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,514 times
As a 5 year survivor I completely understand your thought path of doing it today as I've upped my list by a few years also, Harley by years end.

I like the neighborhoods of the Windermere / Winter Garden area behind Disney. Shopping is close by, good schools and multiple roads giving access to Orlando if needed.

Independence, Summerport and a few others like Tierra Bella.

Hope this helps,

Old 08-03-2011, 04:20 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
Congrats on being a Cancer survivor...you too Dave!
DH is done the Chemo and is going thru the Radiation as we speak. We know we have a long way to go but when this is done we're going to live life to it's fullest...We've got the Harley

You've got some good suggestions to start. Windermere/Winter Garden would be my 1st choice.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Congratulations on being a survivor.

Will your husband be able to transfer his job, or will he be looking for a new one?

If he's able to transfer, what area will his office be in?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Congratulations on being a survivor.

Will your husband be able to transfer his job, or will he be looking for a new one?

If he's able to transfer, what area will his office be in?
annerk - The situation with my husband is a tricky one. Let's just say that I had a John Edwards pulled on me during treatment. The move for me will also be a separation. I'm not even interested in him relocating with me any time soon. I need time to reflect & focus on myself. Thankfully we have been renting a home. When the lease is up he's moving into a luxury apartment & I'm heading to Florida. He's in complete denial over what he's done & still wont admit it. Which kind of works for me because he's more than willing to support me wherever I go & visit a few times a year. In the future I will be looking to get a job at WDW. I know I wont be making a lot of money but it's all about happiness. Plus, I'll have my husbands income as well...

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Congrats on being a Cancer survivor...you too Dave!
DH is done the Chemo and is going thru the Radiation as we speak. We know we have a long way to go but when this is done we're going to live life to it's fullest...We've got the Harley

You've got some good suggestions to start. Windermere/Winter Garden would be my 1st choice.
Thank you Granny Sue...Your husband will be in my prayers.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Broker Dave -
Congratulations!! After having dealt with a life threatening illness one tends to take stock & reach for the stars. Thank you for your advice. I will look into those areas.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
The nicest areas next to Disney are Dr. Phillips and Windermere. Both have really good schools. Dr. Phillips is a little busier with lots of shopping, restaurants, and the entertainment of Universal and I-Drive in the vicinity, but still has that family community feel. Windermere has two areas- new and old. The older part can be very expensive and has beautiful oak-lined streets and established neighborhoods. New Windermere is a bit further away from everything but closer to Disney. It feels a little like you're in the middle of nowhere, but the houses are new and cheaper. Hope this helps
Thanks for your help! I enjoy living in areas that are more established so old Windermere would be my preference. Wherever I end up I will be looking to rent a property. I dont really want to be in an apartment...I'd rather be in a tiny house. If there is a substantial price difference between the old & new Windermere I might be tempted to go with the new. The biggest selling point for me will be the schools. Private is out of the question. So...if it meant living in an apartment to be in the best public school district then that's what I would chose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando