Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:03 PM

13 posts, read 31,587 times

Advertisements

Salutations City-Daters,
I am moving to Florida and have to decide between the Orlando area or the Tampa Bay area. Having read many (many) threads, I now seek your help in deciding the best area.

I have only 3 days to visit each location, so please list the best that the Orlando area has to offer (excluding the theme parks).

Will be posting over in the Tampa forum also.

Much appreciation for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 08:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
The best neighborhoods in Orlando can be found in downtown (Thornton Park, College Park, Audubon Park, Winter Park), and in the suburbs such as Dr. Phillips, Windermere, and Lake Mary. You'd need to give more information on what you're looking for to be able to give you a good place to really look.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:32 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
For Orlando neighborhoods I would recommend:

Lake Nona*
Hunters Creek
Avalon Park*
College Park
Thornton Park
Dr Phillips

For Orlando Suburbs:

Lake Mary/West Sanford*
Heathrow*
Oviedo*
Longwood/Wekiva Springs*
Winter Park
Windermere

If schools/children are a consideration I would narrow to those marked with an asterisk.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The neighborhoods are just one aspect of my visit, but I'm also looking at other aspects that would help a newcomer decide on a relocation. What are the selling points of the region?
On my list so far are: Downtown Orlando/Lake Eola area, Winter Park (downtown), The Mall at Millenia (not that I a big shopper).

I see these areas mentioned in other threads: Delaney Park, Thornton Park, Windermere, Avalon Park, Lake Nona, and Baldwin Park. Are they worth visiting?

What other scenic areas/(non-theme park) attractions should I visit?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltema View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The neighborhoods are just one aspect of my visit, but I'm also looking at other aspects that would help a newcomer decide on a relocation. What are the selling points of the region?
On my list so far are: Downtown Orlando/Lake Eola area, Winter Park (downtown), The Mall at Millenia (not that I a big shopper).

I see these areas mentioned in other threads: Delaney Park, Thornton Park, Windermere, Avalon Park, Lake Nona, and Baldwin Park. Are they worth visiting?

It just so happens I have a map that I made for another thread that highlights all of the main street districts and areas you should drive through to get a feel of the local Orlando flavor. Areas are highlighted in red with the names of the areas to the left.

The Real Orlando - Google Maps

Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
It just so happens I have a map that I made for another thread that highlights all of the main street districts and areas you should drive through to get a feel of the local Orlando flavor. Areas are highlighted in red with the names of the areas to the left.

The Real Orlando - Google Maps
Great map. The real Orlando certainly extends well beyond the red areas, but those are the main drags that will sum up the overall experience.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltema View Post

I would visit these areas simply because they are desirable and would be doing yourself a disservice not to at least take a look.

Non Theme park attractions I would recommend are Leu Gardens, Loch Haven Park (which includes Orlando Science Center, Orlando Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art and Repertory Theater), Orange County History Center, Bok Tower Gardens, Crane's Roost Park, Wekiva Springs State Park, Blue Springs State Park and Downtown Mt. Dora.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Great map. The real Orlando certainly extends well beyond the red areas, but those are the main drags that will sum up the overall experience.
Yeah, there is definitely a lot more. To me these are the most interesting/unique to Orlando as areas like Restaurant Row or Mall at Millennia are pretty typical in Florida cities.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Some excellent suggestions here. Thanks!
Great map Pete.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM

44 posts, read 94,715 times
I'm moving to the Orlando area for my job and my manager advised me to choose a place close to work because the I-4 traffic in Orlando is so bad. Don't know about Tampa.

My advice would be to live close to your job and the amenities you think you'll use the most - you never know when gas prices could spike again!

If you are retired, then you simply need to consider the amenities of the location you choose. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando