U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,810 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving from NJ to the Oviedo area next year with our 10 year old daughter. Jobs aren't an issue and we've seen some very nice neighborhoods. I have a fear of not fitting in somehow - not making friends which is very important to us. We plan on joining a church and our daughter wants to continue with scouting and soccer. It's not like NJ is the friendliest place but I've lived here my entire life and it's all I know. I'm wondering if anyone else who has moved to the area had concerns and what you have found since moving. Has there been anything that has made you regret your decision? Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM

24,038 posts, read 37,544,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heykat View Post
We're planning on moving from NJ to the Oviedo area next year with our 10 year old daughter. Jobs aren't an issue and we've seen some very nice neighborhoods. I have a fear of not fitting in somehow - not making friends which is very important to us. We plan on joining a church and our daughter wants to continue with scouting and soccer. It's not like NJ is the friendliest place but I've lived here my entire life and it's all I know. I'm wondering if anyone else who has moved to the area had concerns and what you have found since moving. Has there been anything that has made you regret your decision? Thanks!!
The fact that you have a child should help considerably. With her activities it'll be easier to meet people and blend in. Getting involved with her school's parent-teacher organization would probably help as well. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,658,148 times
Churches in Oviedo are very family friendly. Can't think of the hours I have spent at little league games. The child will have plenty to do and with time, they will make friends.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM

254 posts, read 755,308 times
Just moved here from NoVa. We were planning to move to Oviedo as well mainly because of the high school but we found a great house in Avalon Park area(rated A, 9 out of 10 in greatschools.net). The area where we moved from in NoVa is certainly different from where I live now. In Nova, we know our neighbors, people are friendly right from the beginning and just that feeling of being in a "small town". Now, i'm sure once the weather permit, we would eventually meet our neighbors and get to know them. So far, only one neighbor actually introduced themselves. Also, we found out that if your house is less than 2 mi from the school, you don't get bus service, so be aware of that as well. We've only been here a few wks so I'm sure things will turn out well(I hope).

I've also noticed that a lot of drivers do not use their turn signals, and if you use yours, they would, for whatever reason, drive fast so you can't move to that lane. I'm just used to courteous drivers I think, so I would have to get used to that. Lastly, 2nd day of band camp, my daughter's bike was stolen!

One more incident, we live in a gated community, manned-gated community. When we moved in, we informed the HOA that our HH goods would be arriving on a certain day. That day came and of course, there's a big moving truck infront of the house and we had to park the cars infront of a neighbor's house. A few hours later, a tow truck was trying to tow our cars!!! We informed them that we were moving (Hello! Doesn't the big moving truck and out-of-state plates give a hint?) and they were nice enough not to tow our cars but told us to move the cars so they were facing the other way (). I also found out that you pay a lot for your child to join Band,,,almost $800/yr! They have what they call "assessment" every few months , $150 per assessment and that's 4 total. And other fees. Mind you, my child owns her own intrument/s, so that doesn't cover rental. She met some nice kids though, so that's good.

Just some of the things we have encountered in our few weeks here in Orlando.
Welcome to Florida!

Last edited by nixau27; 08-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 AM

Nixau27, the band info is good to know - thanks. My husband wants to check out Stoneybrook so I'll be sure to let him know about these extra costs. I'll also be sure to check with Oviedo on this. I hope things get better for you! Have you checked out Avalons little "downtown". My cousin lives in Avalon, it's where we stay when we visit, and I really like it. The coffee shop makes a great latte! We've had some fun times at The Bistro too.
Kyle and TheOldNorthState, thanks for the encouraging words

Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 AM

3,607 posts, read 6,502,054 times
The suburbs in many older cities up north feel more like small towns because that's how they started. These towns existed before or while the city was fledgling, and the effects of sprawl were mitigated somewhat by that kind of setup. The suburbs down here are mainly less than 40 years old, and therefore are built with the car in mind. People drive through miles of housing just to get to their stores. I'd recommend looking to places where new urbanism (which is really old urbanism with a dash of suburb) reign supreme.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM

OrlFlaUsa, can you name a few? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 PM

3,607 posts, read 6,502,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heykat View Post
OrlFlaUsa, can you name a few? Thanks.
A few is all I can name: Baldwin Park, Avalon Park, Celebration.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 60,815 times
Default Moved to Oviedo just 3 months ago...

We moved from Southeastern Virginia to Oviedo about 3 months ago and LOVE it! We definitely don't regret the decision at all. We visited 5 churches before we found one that we like (River Run Christian Church). We're a late 20's couple with a toddler and baby on the way and haven't made many friends yet. I signed up for a mom's group at the church that's gonna kick off in September, so that should help! If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,356 times
Hello heykat! I just sent you a request. I am from New Jersey and will be moving to Oviedo in July 2012 as well. I have two children, 15 and 8, and like you I am very excited, but nervous of not "fitting in" or regretting somehow moving from our NJ life. Perhaps we can share some experiences and findings...It is certainly an adventure, but we are looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>