U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,607 posts, read 6,214,572 times
Reputation: 2379

Advertisements

Oaky so I'm not going to miss 96.5 WHTQ's classic rock format in Orlando since A: I'm not a huge fan of that music, B: I listen to music off my MP3 player, and C: WTKS 104.1 plays plenty of that after 11pm and on the weekends. However, a tragedy has come to pass and WHTQ's shoes will be filled with the hateful rhetoric of AM Conservative talk radio WDBO. While I agree that there is always room for a different opinion, spend 10 minutes listening to Neil Boortz out of Atlanta or Sean Hannity out of NYC on the new 96.5 and you'll see that they don't share that open-mindedness. The only saving grace is that Clark Howard is on that station during midday's and he rarely talks politics and does a great service like Dave Ramsay does by helping people with their shows. Oh and WDBO will have the Magic games too, but that's only if there's a season. Maybe this also bothers me because I think live and local is the recipe for good talk radio and at least they could have conservative hosts from Orlando like my own friend Bud Hedinger, at least he talks Orlando. They say the wall to wall Casey coverage doubled this station's ratings and that's why this decision was made. Hopefully they will see that there's a reason right wing talk has been subjected to AM obscurity in this market and FM talk like Real Radio and NPR are much higher rated for a reason in Orlando.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
 
114 posts, read 277,645 times
Reputation: 62
Ehh...

I actually don't mind having a Conservative Station on FM.

It's simply "supply and demand".

In fact, I used to listen to WDBO on my way home a couple of years back. And I found it very entertaining. I would listen to Hannity and Savage. In fact, this is when I was far more "left" than I am now.

I guess I am a Conservative Democratic, don't know how else I would characterize myself.

But again, Central Florida in general leans to the right, so its only suitable there is a format of this kind on FM.

I have no issue with it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,607 posts, read 6,214,572 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
Ehh...

I actually don't mind having a Conservative Station on FM.

It's simply "supply and demand".

In fact, I used to listen to WDBO on my way home a couple of years back. And I found it very entertaining. I would listen to Hannity and Savage. In fact, this is when I was far more "left" than I am now.

I guess I am a Conservative Democratic, don't know how else I would characterize myself.

But again, Central Florida in general leans to the right, so its only suitable there is a format of this kind on FM.

I have no issue with it.
I too have no problems with the supply and demand aspect except that it's an artificial demand created by the 3 month ratings spike WDBO saw as a result of non-stop Casey coverage. The highest rated talk programming in the Orlando market is the left of center or simply non-political stuff you hear on WTKS 104.1 (Real Radio) and NPR (WMFE).

While I enjoy living in a swing state which means you get the best and worst of both sides, talkers like Boortz and Hannity are anti-gay marriage which to me equals hate. Sorry, there is no room in my opinion for that kind of garbage on the airwaves in Central Fl. And by the way, in terms of national politics, Orange & Osceola county go blue and therefore would seem to lean left rather than right.

Thanks for your reply though, I just was saddened to hear about the changes.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:05 PM
 
23,029 posts, read 34,296,116 times
Reputation: 22798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Oaky so I'm not going to miss 96.5 WHTQ's classic rock format in Orlando since A: I'm not a huge fan of that music, B: I listen to music off my MP3 player, and C: WTKS 104.1 plays plenty of that after 11pm and on the weekends. However, a tragedy has come to pass and WHTQ's shoes will be filled with the hateful rhetoric of AM Conservative talk radio WDBO. While I agree that there is always room for a different opinion, spend 10 minutes listening to Neil Boortz out of Atlanta or Sean Hannity out of NYC on the new 96.5 and you'll see that they don't share that open-mindedness. The only saving grace is that Clark Howard is on that station during midday's and he rarely talks politics and does a great service like Dave Ramsay does by helping people with their shows. Oh and WDBO will have the Magic games too, but that's only if there's a season. Maybe this also bothers me because I think live and local is the recipe for good talk radio and at least they could have conservative hosts from Orlando like my own friend Bud Hedinger, at least he talks Orlando. They say the wall to wall Casey coverage doubled this station's ratings and that's why this decision was made. Hopefully they will see that there's a reason right wing talk has been subjected to AM obscurity in this market and FM talk like Real Radio and NPR are much higher rated for a reason in Orlando.
It's hardly surprising that the evil hate that is Conservative Talk TV/Radio is expanding in Orlando. While the city may vote "blue" the region in general is considered "swing", but seemingly leaning toward Neo-Conservative when an AM station base spills over to a popular area on the FM dial. Until Orlando/Central Florida develops a more outspoken left-leaning populace this will be what we're faced with. I find it kind of interesting timing that the format switch is happening right now, aka pre-2012 elections. I wonder who's pulling the strings/supplying advertising dollars in terms of format changes...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
 
17,802 posts, read 22,522,885 times
Reputation: 36147
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Oaky so I'm not going to miss 96.5 WHTQ's classic rock format in Orlando since A: I'm not a huge fan of that music, B: I listen to music off my MP3 player, and C: WTKS 104.1 plays plenty of that after 11pm and on the weekends. However, a tragedy has come to pass and WHTQ's shoes will be filled with the hateful rhetoric of AM Conservative talk radio WDBO. While I agree that there is always room for a different opinion, spend 10 minutes listening to Neil Boortz out of Atlanta or Sean Hannity out of NYC on the new 96.5 and you'll see that they don't share that open-mindedness. The only saving grace is that Clark Howard is on that station during midday's and he rarely talks politics and does a great service like Dave Ramsay does by helping people with their shows. Oh and WDBO will have the Magic games too, but that's only if there's a season. Maybe this also bothers me because I think live and local is the recipe for good talk radio and at least they could have conservative hosts from Orlando like my own friend Bud Hedinger, at least he talks Orlando. They say the wall to wall Casey coverage doubled this station's ratings and that's why this decision was made. Hopefully they will see that there's a reason right wing talk has been subjected to AM obscurity in this market and FM talk like Real Radio and NPR are much higher rated for a reason in Orlando.
You act like you're in Portland, OR.

It would be shocking there.

You're in Central FL.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,607 posts, read 6,214,572 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's hardly surprising that the evil hate that is Conservative Talk TV/Radio is expanding in Orlando. While the city may vote "blue" the region in general is considered "swing", but seemingly leaning toward Neo-Conservative when an AM station base spills over to a popular area on the FM dial. Until Orlando/Central Florida develops a more outspoken left-leaning populace this will be what we're faced with. I find it kind of interesting timing that the format switch is happening right now, aka pre-2012 elections. I wonder who's pulling the strings/supplying advertising dollars in terms of format changes...
Kye you're spot on and seem to eco my sentiments about this change. However I still believe that an area whose populace is comprised primarily of transplanted blue state northerners mixed with large hispanic and black numbers is not significantly right leaning. Voter registration for Democrats in CFL is higher than Republicans, it just seems the left down here doesn't give a $h*t and let the vocal minority take charge. They move here from blue states up north and then stop caring about politics. Anyways, pretty fair assessment, and I'm terrified to think about your last point regarding the 2012 election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You act like you're in Portland, OR.

It would be shocking there.

You're in Central FL.
It was still a first for Orlando, so before you try to act like the joke's on me, realize that it hasn't happened until now. Our highest rated talk program, The Philips Phile, is left leaning and has a nationwide audience on satellite radio. BTW, I am not pretending this is Portland, but the same unfortunate occurrence happened to them back in March of this year when after 21 years as a rock station, KXL-FM was converted to a simulcast of a conservative talk AM station (Kyle might be onto something here). So Seain, if Portland, OR now has Glen Beck on FM, then I guess Orlando should be glad we dodged that bullet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXL-FM
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 2,939,961 times
Reputation: 1595
When you say "first," are you referring to this being the first AM station to port over to FM? Or are you saying that this is the first time its happened period? If the latter, this is becoming more and more common.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Orlando Metro Area
3,607 posts, read 6,214,572 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
When you say "first," are you referring to this being the first AM station to port over to FM? Or are you saying that this is the first time its happened period? If the latter, this is becoming more and more common.
It's the first time right wing talk has gone to an FM format in Orlando (and other much more liberal cities). Not the first time any AM station has gone to FM, no.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 PM
 
165 posts, read 372,980 times
Reputation: 105
Evil hate? Jeez. Where do I start.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
 
165 posts, read 372,980 times
Reputation: 105
Give me examples of "hate." Are you jacka$$es going to vote for O'Bungles again? ARE you paying ANY attention to what's going on out there regardless of politics? This idiot just isn't working out.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top