Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM

42 posts, read 106,477 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am mulling an offer from a client of mine to take over the realms of his business on Int'l drive. The money is not an issue, I want to know if there are any families that have moved to Orlando from the Northeast (or anywhere) and are truly happy with there move. I have a two year old son and want to make sure the areas I have looked online (Dr. Phillips, Windemere, Lake Nona, Bay Hill) are nice and the people are somewhat friendly. Also, I am 30, my wife is 29 and we are a successful young family and would hope to find the same in our neighbors. FYI - I went to college in Florida and am aware of the weather conditions. I am asking more in regards to family lifestyles.

I appreciate any positive information that anyone has to offer.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
You're definitely looking in the right areas to live. Dr. Phillips/Bay Hill and Windermere are mere minutes from I-Drive. My parents moved to Dr. Phillips from the NE in the early 90's and didn't regret the move. It's a beautiful, family-friendly area with great schools and a wonderful community feel.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
One reply so far...hmmm...

Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
We moved here from PA 11 years ago. I don't regret it one bit. Everything is convenient here. It's safe and the schools are good. There is plenty to do and the beach is only 45 minutes from me. The weather in the winter is very nice. There is much more to do here than PA.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
The areas you've already explored are all very nice and fit the description of what you are looking for. I would also reccomend Winter Garden just outside Windermere. Alot of young families there and newer housing options if that interests you. However if schools will eventually become a concern, Dr. Phillips is the best school district among the areas you are considering.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:54 PM

42 posts, read 106,477 times
I appreciate the information from everyone. I've also recently heard great things from Lake Nona residents.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Half the population of Orlando is from the northeast or some Caribbean country. You will not have trouble finding northeast neighbors AT ALL.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella1223 View Post
I appreciate the information from everyone. I've also recently heard great things from Lake Nona residents.

The schools in Lake Nona have not faired very well with their ratings unfortunately. While it is a nice area it has poorly rated schools.

Even Dr. Phillips has slipped. Now there are only 2 schools (high) in Orange county that maintained their A ratings... Winter Park and Boone.... hats off to the kids in both.

This is a great area and you can find some really nice neighborhoods. For what you identified I'd opt for Winter Park, Dr. Phillips and the Delaney /Davis Park areas.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,676 times
My family is from NJ. We have been living here in Orlando/ Oveido area for a little over a year. We Love it here. We never imagined ever living here. And now we can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM

141 posts, read 320,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The schools in Lake Nona have not faired very well with their ratings unfortunately. While it is a nice area it has poorly rated schools.

Even Dr. Phillips has slipped. Now there are only 2 schools (high) in Orange county that maintained their A ratings... Winter Park and Boone.... hats off to the kids in both.

This is a great area and you can find some really nice neighborhoods. For what you identified I'd opt for Winter Park, Dr. Phillips and the Delaney /Davis Park areas.
Northlake Park Elementary has been an A since its inception in 2001.

Lake Nona Middle is an A for its two years. And it got its own building for the first time with school opening last week.

Lake Nona High pulled a C, unfortunately, in its first year (last years grade is still pending). However, I'm confidant this is going up. It seems most kids in Lake Nona are pretty young, it's a very new area. And I see how very involved parents are. So between LNHS being such a new school and the demographics changing, I feel pretty confidant that the high school will be highly rated very soon.

The other thing about ratings is that it just tells about the average student. I lived in a district in Ohio that produced more national merit scholars than any school in the state, but its ratings were not the best. The reason was a diverse student body. There the top kids could find the best possible education, they were extremely well funded, but not everyone had the same background and advantages. So I think ratings are important, but not the only consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando