U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My company is offering to relocate me from the suburbs of Chicago to our office in eastern Orlando. This is a straight lateral move for me.

I’m tempted to say yes because no income tax, no more minus 20’s in the winter, and awesome bird photography.

I’m tempted to say no because rent appears a lot higher, the reviews I’m reading from Orlando transplants aren’t that positive, and the humidity is a killer in the summer.

So I thought I would try posting a message after reading some the posts here.

In the western suburbs of Chicago, I have a very cheap (no frills) 1 bedroom apartment for $800 a month (gas, water, trash included). The area I’m in has a few parks, but it’s mostly strip malls. It’s pretty safe.

Even though our office in Orlando is near UCF, it looks like I’d be better off not living close to the office because I don’t want to live in an apartment complex filled with noisy college kids.

I started looking online north towards Oviedo, but apartments there are showing up at or near $1,000 month. That would blow my budget.

Can anyone suggest an area to look at that’s within 30 minutes of the UFC area, that’s safe and quite but in the $800 range? My first reaction was to look north, away from Orlando. I didn’t look east because there didn’t seem to be a whole lot after Christmas Road until i-95.

I would assume there’s a lot of traffic going from the north to the south in the morning towards Orlando, and the opposite in the evenings?

thanks,
J
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 AM

812 posts, read 1,544,327 times
I suggest better research. There are plenty of apartments for way less than $1K/month for the area. That being said.. something you should consider in your equation though is how many college kids are going to shell out $1K/month?

Honestly though, the best bet is to get a cheap place (that probably will suck) to live for say 6 months or so while you do 'hands on' research. Any moron (myself included) can type anything they want to here and try to sway you either way. The only way you are going to know what will work for real is by living here and planning on your 1st year being an experiment in finding out things for yourself. The less you pay up front, the less that will be wasted if you decide to move back, and if you decide to stay will be money saved for your next place.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM

23,894 posts, read 37,044,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygarrett17 View Post
Hello everyone,

My company is offering to relocate me from the suburbs of Chicago to our office in eastern Orlando. This is a straight lateral move for me.

I’m tempted to say yes because no income tax, no more minus 20’s in the winter, and awesome bird photography.

I’m tempted to say no because rent appears a lot higher, the reviews I’m reading from Orlando transplants aren’t that positive, and the humidity is a killer in the summer.

So I thought I would try posting a message after reading some the posts here.

In the western suburbs of Chicago, I have a very cheap (no frills) 1 bedroom apartment for $800 a month (gas, water, trash included). The area I’m in has a few parks, but it’s mostly strip malls. It’s pretty safe.

Even though our office in Orlando is near UCF, it looks like I’d be better off not living close to the office because I don’t want to live in an apartment complex filled with noisy college kids.

I started looking online north towards Oviedo, but apartments there are showing up at or near $1,000 month. That would blow my budget.

Can anyone suggest an area to look at that’s within 30 minutes of the UFC area, that’s safe and quite but in the $800 range? My first reaction was to look north, away from Orlando. I didn’t look east because there didn’t seem to be a whole lot after Christmas Road until i-95.

I would assume there’s a lot of traffic going from the north to the south in the morning towards Orlando, and the opposite in the evenings?

thanks,
J
Check out the Lake Mary/Sanford (west side) area. It's very convenient to the UCF area via the 417 Expressway which is NEVER backed up or slow, even at the peak of rush hour. The commute to UCF is 23 miles but pretty much all highway so the trip takes around 30 minutes (or less). It's a very safe, much quieter section of the metro area yet still convenient to things-to-do and probably fairly similar to where you are now. For apartment communities look at Lake's Edge in Sanford or Bentley Park at Timacuan in Lake Mary. Both offer very easy access to 417 and are upscale communities close to shopping/restaurants, etc. yet within your budget.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 AM

36 posts, read 84,034 times
If you're very used to living in a real city, Orlando will be an adjustment, to
say the least. But then again, Chicago winters would make me want to move
to Afghanistan.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM

640 posts, read 2,958,982 times
There are plenty of apartments in Waterford Lakes. It's super close to UCF and we have a lot of amenities in the area. Shopping, restaurants, close to 408 & 417, etc. Do your apartment search on zip code 32828. I think you can find what you're looking for here.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
There are plenty of apartments in Waterford Lakes. It's super close to UCF and we have a lot of amenities in the area. Shopping, restaurants, close to 408 & 417, etc. Do your apartment search on zip code 32828. I think you can find what you're looking for here.
I don't think given the OP's criteria it wouldn't be a good fit. There are a lot of students in the area and it's pretty congested/not quiet.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM

640 posts, read 2,958,982 times
I have lived in the area for 7 years and I have never felt that I'm over run by students. Of course, I don't live in an apartment complex but with all the beautiful new housing at UCF, one would think there would be less students in apartment complexes in Waterford Lakes. It was just a thought for him to consider. OP - maybe you ask the apartment manager's what the resident population is made up of.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I have lived in the area for 7 years and I have never felt that I'm over run by students. Of course, I don't live in an apartment complex but with all the beautiful new housing at UCF, one would think there would be less students in apartment complexes in Waterford Lakes. It was just a thought for him to consider. OP - maybe you ask the apartment manager's what the resident population is made up of.
UCF has an undergraduate population of around 50,000 and has on-campus housing that can accommodate only around 10,000. It's a pretty good bet that the most of the remaining 40,000 are in apartment complexes within a few miles of campus.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM

189 posts, read 408,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
UCF has an undergraduate population of around 50,000 and has on-campus housing that can accommodate only around 10,000. It's a pretty good bet that the most of the remaining 40,000 are in apartment complexes within a few miles of campus.
Keep in mind that a large number of students live at home and commute from all areas of the metro and central florida (myself included)

But to the OP, I'd recommend Waterford Lakes, although a little congested, almost everything you'll ever need is within a ten minute drive, maybe 15 for your job location.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM

114 posts, read 287,475 times
I think the Waterford Lakes and Lee Vista areas would suit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando