Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I think Orlando City SC's best bet is to be near Orlando residents. I think banking on any help from the tourists is a recipe for disaster. Look at what happened to the Orlando Rays (I mean Montgomery Biscuits). They went to Cracker Jack Stadium at WWS and died. Maybe Sand Lake/I-Drive wouldn't be as bad, but I don't think thats a good area for a stadium.

I definitely dont want a Disney anything. I would love for it to be downtown, but my issue with space is still clouded, and Sand Like I Drive area would be nice if they built that area to be more desirable because right now, uhh no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
I think Orlando City SC's best bet is to be near Orlando residents. I think banking on any help from the tourists is a recipe for disaster. Look at what happened to the Orlando Rays (I mean Montgomery Biscuits). They went to Cracker Jack Stadium at WWS and died. Maybe Sand Lake/I-Drive wouldn't be as bad, but I don't think thats a good area for a stadium.
This is soccer, not baseball. Do you have any idea how many European (mainly British) & South American tourists come to the theme park area every year ? Having a stadium in the theme park area is a fantastic way to keep a team around, as IMO locals will never support it enough to keep the team afloat.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
The big issue is....it's still soccer. I mean, it's friggin soccer! No one likes soccer!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
The big issue is....it's still soccer. I mean, it's friggin soccer! No one likes soccer!
You might want to re-check those numbers.

MLS attendance overtakes NBA, now No. 3 sport in USA - National Soccer | Examiner.com

Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
MLS stadiums hold so many more people though I mean really....

Basketball is still no.2

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
MLS stadiums hold so many more people though I mean really....

Basketball is still no.2
Yeah, also the NBA and NHL both have many many more games per year, and have major television coverage with millions of fans watching at home. There is no way MLS is more popular than NBA or NHL, however the mere fact that MLS stadiums broke attendance records and are selling out games in many markets tell you that there are enough people that do care about soccer for it to be successful.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
This is soccer, not baseball. Do you have any idea how many European (mainly British) & South American tourists come to the theme park area every year ? Having a stadium in the theme park area is a fantastic way to keep a team around, as IMO locals will never support it enough to keep the team afloat.
If you really think that tourists can support a professional franchise (in any sport) you are in fantasy land. Yes Europeans and Latin Americans come to Orlando in droves and yes the predominant sport in their countries is soccer/football/futbol. But they will not come to Orlando for that. They come to Orlando area for DisneyWorld, beaches and the other attractions.

Just look at the attendance at the WWS for the MLS pre-season games. Also, yes its possible tourists will care if FC Barcelona was playing Manchester United at the potential I-Drive Soccer Stadium, but they won't care if Orlando is taking on Salt Lake.

It has to be all about what is best for residents of Orlando, you can't factor in tourists to be a major contributor to the bottom line.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
If you really think that tourists can support a professional franchise (in any sport) you are in fantasy land. Yes Europeans and Latin Americans come to Orlando in droves and yes the predominant sport in their countries is soccer/football/futbol. But they will not come to Orlando for that. They come to Orlando area for DisneyWorld, beaches and the other attractions.

Just look at the attendance at the WWS for the MLS pre-season games. Also, yes its possible tourists will care if FC Barcelona was playing Manchester United at the potential I-Drive Soccer Stadium, but they won't care if Orlando is taking on Salt Lake.

It has to be all about what is best for residents of Orlando, you can't factor in tourists to be a major contributor to the bottom line.
No one said tourists would support the soccer team ALONE without the local residents. And since tourists come the entire year round to Orlando, you are in fantasyland if you think they would not attend a soccer game as a diversion to the other attractions available. How many tourists come to Orlando to the theme parks and then drive over to the Tampa Bay beaches for a day or two ? A MLS soccer game is no different.

Why build a larger MLS stadium at all if you don't plan on filling it ? And locals will never fill it ...

Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM

MLS stadiums are mostly between 18K to 21K seats, so they really aren't that big. The Orlando City are minor league and sold over 11K seats for their championship game at the Citrus Bowl, so I think from a local interest perspective the support would be there for MLS. However, with a new stadium and an MLS-level franchise, tickets will cost more and could potentially not sell as well to those same fans. I am really not sure where the stadium would do best. They would really need to do some serious market research.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
No one said tourists would support the soccer team ALONE without the local residents. And since tourists come the entire year round to Orlando, you are in fantasyland if you think they would not attend a soccer game as a diversion to the other attractions available. How many tourists come to Orlando to the theme parks and then drive over to the Tampa Bay beaches for a day or two ? A MLS soccer game is no different.

Why build a larger MLS stadium at all if you don't plan on filling it ? And locals will never fill it ...
We can agree to disagree, but how many tourists support UCF or Orlando Magic games? I bet that number is very, very low. I never said tourists alone couldn't support a sports team, I'm saying they have almost no impact at all.

In other news, Orlando City SC added new sponsors and a new investor this past week. If you look at their ownership group now, it has very deep pockets. Probably big enough for MLS (the $40-$50 million franchise fees and stadium costs).

The first home game is this weekend, hope everyone has tickets! They are expecting over 11,000. For Division 3 soccer, that's amazing. Does any Single or Double A baseball team get that for attendance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando