Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's all about origin of the product and you can't compare the two if one has any grasp of the food chain and where it all comes from. Meat in particular at Whole Foods is far superior to Publix in terms of where it comes from and how it is raised. When traditional grocers and the big box stores begin identifying where the product comes from and informs of how it was raised we can start to compare. Animal Welfare Standards | Whole Foods Market

I'm sure conventional produce is higher at Whole Foods as they don't have the buying power to buy conventional produce cheap like the big grocers do and attempt where possible to provide natural/organic items IN SEASON. Fruits and Vegetables aren't ripe and ready to pick year-round in the vast majority of the US and subsequently obtaining organic/natural produce from Mexico or Guatemala isn't an option, neither is leaving empty shelves in the Whole Foods produce department.

I personally get a kick (not really) out of how people love to bash Whole Foods for their general commitment to offer the best food items possible and can't wait to jump on any inconsistencies or perceived lack of value. Meanwhile the big grocers continue to funnel crap from largely unknown sources into the food chain which mostly consumers willingly gobble up because it's cheap, no questions asked. Little wonder that we're the fattest, most unhealthy industrialized nation.
My mother purchases Whole Foods ground beef on a regular basis, and I will (though grudgingly admit) I find it to be better than Publix. It is richer and has more flavor

As an employee of Publix, who works in the produce department, I can tell you that the quality of the produce Publix receives is far better than what you'd find at any other grocer. Often times if the produce on my shelves isn't looking too great, it is not because Publix buys cheap crummy produce marked up 200% that spoils in 2 days. There are various factors as to why my produce doesn't look good

-Age, some items do end up sitting on the shelf longer than they should. Even if the entire produce staff is working, we cannot constantly check products for quality because then nothing gets done, but we do our best, and I live by the attitude "If I wouldn't buy it, I wouldn't sell it" and toss it out

-Condensation, realize that some of our products travel 1000s of miles before they make it to the store (ex all our apples come from Washington state), constantly being switched between refridgerated trailers, and room temperature stock rooms, sometimes I get deliveries of brand new items that have to be tossed due to mold from the condensation caused by rapid temperature changes

-Damage, this is a big problem mainly with tomatoes, and soft fruits like grapes, plums, peaches, etc. When the older fruits get rotated with newer ones, the older are placed on top of the new ones (FIFO) fruits are not weightless, and as customers make their selections, those fruits will come tumbling towards the bottom of the shelf, and fruit is not weightless. The skins of these fruits also can often be pierced easily, it just happens

I do my best to make sure all the product I'm responsible for at work is presentable and sellable to my customers, and I throw out more than all of my coworkers do (not combined, but Im more vigilant for not so good products) And customers at my store have taken notice, and our sales have greatly increased

And Kyle, I'm sorry but I'm having an EXTREMELY difficult time believing Publix cost you more money than Whole Foods, dont get me wrong, Im not calling you a liar though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,296 times
Publix is good for Florida.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Publix is good for Florida.
why are you bringing up a 2 1/2 year old thread?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Clearly, I'm missing something because I was under the impression that these were of pretty comparable quality:
Walmart Neighborhood Market
Albertson's
Sedano's
Winn-Dixie

Unfortunately, Publix has a better business model through great marketing/branding, extensive product offerings (Publix private label), strong regional infrastructure to get the product around fresh and cheap, and the foresight to invest in real-estate development.

This isn't exactly rocket science - its the same reason why Subway, McDonald's and Starbucks are able to prosper over places like Quiznos, Burger King and Dunkin Donuts. Location, Infrastructure and Branding.
That makes sense to me.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,396,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
why are you bringing up a 2 1/2 year old thread?
I agree. I don't know why poeple do this. It happens a lot. The thread should lock itself after a time so no one else can post.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post
I don't agree with Publix being more expensive overall. For the items I buy, with the exception of some organic foods, Publix generally has competitive prices- plus the stores are clean, well-organized, and the employees are generally friendly and helpful. Here in SC they have the best produce- but produce is always a sort of hit or miss proposition with the quality being related to weather conditions, season, etc... Maybe it's different in FL? I have plenty of choices here and choose Publix.
Publix does a great job of not over working their employees. Target does the same thing, the store are big, but NEVER packed like how Wal Mart is. Its why I never go to Walmart after 11 on weekends and never go there after 3pm during the week. I never understood why people expect Wal Mart and McDonalds employees to have the best customer service. They are both over worked. Publix employees rarely are. I like that about Publix.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:59 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
I agree. I don't know why poeple do this. It happens a lot. The thread should lock itself after a time so no one else can post.
If someone is adding value to an existing thread, I think it is fine to add something to it instead of starting a new one. I just don't know if that was the case this time.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
Publix is great. I shop at WM too, but love Publix. They have got very good with their prices and 2 for 1 sales. The stores are always clean, very little waiting and outstanding staff.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Lol, I didn't realize how strongly people felt about their grocery store chains!

I guess I like the WD a smidge more because its a smidge nicer. The floors are newer. The staff is friendlier and nicer. I do like the sign on the outside of Publix much more. Better looking letters.

I'm only judging those two stores, not the entire chains.

I don't really care that much, anyway, and will leave you all to your own opinions.
Yes its pretty funny. Publix has a monopoly......?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando