Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times

Advertisements

Clearly, I'm missing something because I was under the impression that these were of pretty comparable quality:
Walmart Neighborhood Market
Albertson's
Sedano's
Winn-Dixie

Unfortunately, Publix has a better business model through great marketing/branding, extensive product offerings (Publix private label), strong regional infrastructure to get the product around fresh and cheap, and the foresight to invest in real-estate development.

This isn't exactly rocket science - its the same reason why Subway, McDonald's and Starbucks are able to prosper over places like Quiznos, Burger King and Dunkin Donuts. Location, Infrastructure and Branding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OMG, you're so missing the point. Have you lived anywhere else but in Florida??? Pretty much every other well-populated state has a few if not several supermarket chains that compare favorably with Publix, as in being non-discount chains. I'm looking for some theories as to why though I guess if most Floridians are like you we have the answer...
When we lived in Tennessee, the local Kroger's were old and not well-kept and the prices were higher than any place we've found in Florida, Super Walmart was also surprisingly expensive, and the local Piggly Wiggly was about the size of a convenience store.

Where I grew up in Michigan- about 60% Meijer's, 20% indies and small chains that co-op'ed as Spartan Stores for private label goods, 10% (and fading) Kroger because they couldn't really compete with Meijer's, and 10% Walmart.

I keep hearing that there are great Kroger's out there, but all the ones I've been in in a couple different states are average to poor.

In my part of the Panhandle, Publix has only really been around for about ten years, and they've managed to stomp Food World, Delchamp's, Bruno's, and Winn-Dixie since they came to town.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
I guess I don't really feel like it's such a big deal that Publix has a monopoly here.. Besides, I don't really feel that in my area. Within 10 minutes of my home there's two Publix stores, Albertson's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Chamberlin's, Wal-Mart, and Target. The only thing I really wish we had was a Trader Joe's, but I think that's more a problem of product distribution than a lack of a market in the area. I also miss Gooding's, but it was way overpriced anyway.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I think what the poster is talking about are the tier of stores. In my hometown of Columbia, SC you have the following:

Bi-Lo
Piggly Wiggly
Kroger
Publix
Food Lion
Used to have: Winn-Dixie and Harris Teeter

So, at one time, you're talking about 7 regular-tier grocery stores in a metro that is smaller than Orlando.

In Orlando, that's Publix and Winn-Dixie.

If Florida gets another chain, it will NOT be one who currently operates in the southeast. Those stores are losing to Publix's expansion into southern states. Publix did overtake Kroger as the top grocery store in the Altanta market last year.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!!! Exactly the point. Columbia, SC isn't by any stretch the only city where this is common. If and when the economy ever recovers I wonder which of the more top-tier chains will see the opportunity to expand here since the budget category is clearly full with the Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's group, Walmart/Target and Aldi brands. Whole Foods has too few locations and Winn-Dixie/Sweetbay are in-between budget and top-tier, once again leaving Publix alone if one is to compare apples to apples. The Ingles chain which has a strong presence in the Carolinas and Georgia, as well as Harveys which was recently acquired by Food Lion and already has locations in and around Tallahassee seem to be likely candidates.

http://www.ingles-markets.com/all_about_ingles/
http://harveys-supermarkets.com/

Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Orlando and Florida in general are quite a bit more populated than Central or Western NY so that's kind of a feeble example.
You're kidding, right?

Population of the greater Buffalo area, 1.2 million
Population of the greater Rochester area, 1.05 million
Population of the greater Syracuse area, 1 million
Population of the greater Binghamton area, 250K

And if you want to compare the population in the areas that Publix serves versus the areas that Wegmans serves, quit while you're ahead, because Wegmans is also in NJ, the DC metro, DE, and most of PA.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 AM

388 posts, read 790,629 times
I'm sorry but Wegmans blows Publix out of the water. I have some friends that moved from Central FL and they pined for Publix all the time. I think it holds some sort of sentimental value for them despite the fact that it's inferior to a store like Wegmans. It may just be FL, but the price difference between the Wegmans I went to in NOVA and Publix here is crazy. Wegmans also has a MUCH larger selection of food, from the more expensive organic items, as well as Wegmans brand products which are great quality at a fraction of the cost. I've also price shopped between Whole Foods and Publix and you'd be surprised how on par they are for better local/organic products. I'm not hating on Publix, but I gotta say that OP has a point. Why in a completely suburban setting do we need 2 Publix less than 3 miles from one another?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You're kidding, right?

Population of the greater Buffalo area, 1.2 million
Population of the greater Rochester area, 1.05 million
Population of the greater Syracuse area, 1 million
Population of the greater Binghamton area, 250K

And if you want to compare the population in the areas that Publix serves versus the areas that Wegmans serves, quit while you're ahead, because Wegmans is also in NJ, the DC metro, DE, and most of PA.
Orlando metro population, 2.8 million
Tampa metro population, 4 million
Miami metro population, 4.9 million
Jacksonville metro population, 1.4 million

Florida's population overall is 18.5 million which is the same as the entire NYC metro (Tri-State area) in terms of population which Publix has a corner on in terms of similar competition.

So you're kidding, right?

Also while Publix doesn't have equal competition in most of it's territory Wegmans has Giant, Safeway, Pathmark, SuperFresh, Acme, Hannaford and Stop & Shop among others.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
Why in a completely suburban setting do we need 2 Publix less than 3 miles from one another?
Where I am there are 5 within 3 miles of where I live.

Last edited by kyle19125; 09-07-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
Quote:
Also while Publix doesn't have equal competition in most of it's territory Wegmans has Giant, Safeway, Pathmark, SuperFresh, Acme, Hannaford and Stop & Shop among others.
I grew up in Buffalo and don't believe any of stores you listed are there.
All we have are Wegmans, Tops, and B-Kwik mini-markets. I think Aldi has gotten the go-ahead for their 1st store in Buff.

Why don't you consider Albertsons, Winn-Dixie & Food Lion competition for Publix ?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
Quote:
Which would seemingly suggest that Floridians are vanguards of superior quality. Sorry, but I'm not buying that. Perhaps it's because the average Florida consumer is more simple/basic and not driven by higher quality or better variety. Whole Foods which manages to hit home runs everywhere else it opens stores struggles here and Trader Joe's has basically said no thanks to expansion inquiries here. Harris Teeter excels in the Carolinas and Virginia so perhaps Atlanta shares a common thread with much of Florida as well. That could explain Publix's success there.
Have you ever been to the Whole Foods store in Dr Phillips ? Always packed ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando