Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times

Advertisements

I can't read the whole article (not subscribed). I'm glad it's getting a revamp but country western theme?! Of course, replace the cheesy dated tropical decor with something even more cheesy and dated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I can't read the whole article (not subscribed). I'm glad it's getting a revamp but country western theme?! Of course, replace the cheesy dated tropical decor with something even more cheesy and dated!
I originally heard about this on WFTV or something, but I couldn't find an article on their website. They are keeping the anchors and doing to bulldoze the interior and make it an outdoor complex. That's the "thang" nowadays.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well I think a rise in other large corporate stores has alot to do with it. More and more families are going less to the mall and more to super centers like Target and Walmart for their shopping needs. Places like Kohls, Target, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc have also eaten into the marketshare that major malls once dominated. For instance, in an area like Fashion Square Mall, the mall itself is not doing well, but just down the street Colonial plaza with Marshalls, Ross, Old Navy, Big Lots are all doing well. Same with Seminole town Center, my understanding is the discount stores surrounding the mall are doing ok. We just have to accept that the days of mega malls may be coming to an end when places like Waterford Town Center can provide more options. Ohh my youth is becoming a thing of the past.
For whatever reason (probably due to demographics and poor economy) what you mention is more a Florida issue, which is why after moving back recently have been stunned as to how it's changed over the past several years. Malls aren't dying elsewhere in the country like they are here. The trend is to build more outdoor centers versus regional malls, but the regional malls in existence aren't dying off like they are here. Milennia and Florida Mall thrive due only to international tourists and a favorable exchange rate. It's really sad how downmarket this area is headed and quite frankly a little scary in terms of how it may affect the area overall in terms of who stays/who moves out, the demographic that is drawn here, the affect on the housing market and how the economic conditions will possibly deter new businesses from relocating here. I know that sounds somewhat snobbish but this area is headed toward a one-dimensional existence in terms of goods and services, which isn't attractive to many.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Outdoor centers make more sense to developers in FL for the biggest reason of no AC cost. Without it you can charge much less for rent, each tenant pays their own utilities and you can attract more tenants with cheaper rent. This of course doesn't make sense up north because although people are willing to bare 100+ heat, they will not go to an outdoor shopping mall when it's snowing or below 50 when the alternative is nice heated indoor mall protected from the elements. Before leaving the Norhtheast I also noticed their indoor malls did well. But I also noticed the market wasn't saturated. In Providence, which is a little smaller population wise than the Orlando Metro, I can only remember about 4 malls total.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Outdoor centers make more sense to developers in FL for the biggest reason of no AC cost. Without it you can charge much less for rent, each tenant pays their own utilities and you can attract more tenants with cheaper rent. This of course doesn't make sense up north because although people are willing to bare 100+ heat, they will not go to an outdoor shopping mall when it's snowing or below 50 when the alternative is nice heated indoor mall protected from the elements. Before leaving the Norhtheast I also noticed their indoor malls did well. But I also noticed the market wasn't saturated. In Providence, which is a little smaller population wise than the Orlando Metro, I can only remember about 4 malls total.
Actually I can tel you as a long time Retail Manager it has little to do with energy costs, as retailers pay their own A/C costs and typically the common areas of a mall are controlled by individual retailer spaces or by minimal common area units. Go into most malls first thing in the morning before stores open their doors and you'll feel the difference. It has more to do with who developers feel they can attract to a new development here. Smaller upscale specialty retailers are reluctant or flat out won't open new stores here because the demographic can't support them. That leaves outdoor "big box" concepts that attract the usual suspects (Target/Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Bed Bath and Beyond/Best Buy etc.). You made a good point that the market here probably is saturated since our population isn't that large (Orlando's population is just 238,000) although the "metro area" is over 2 million but that includes a somewhat odd 4,000 square mile area. The Providence metro area by contrast is just 153 square miles.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 12,037 times
I enjoy the outlets in Orlando, Florida Mall, and Millenia -

Anyone have any idea of the traffic or $$$ per square foot for Seminole Town Center in Sanford, FL?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Redevelopment likely at Fashion Square likely after planned sale - Orlando Sentinel

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

626 posts, read 976,196 times
The places I like, Are "Winter Garden Village", Kohl's, in Clermont and the outlet mall on 535. Everybody I know, shops for their kids clothes at Kohl's.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Florida Mall hands down
Fashion Square
Prime Outlets
Premium Outlets

after that, nothing else in Orlando is worth going too.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Florida Mall hands down
Fashion Square
Prime Outlets
Premium Outlets

after that, nothing else in Orlando is worth going too.
Can't afford millennia? Sorry, but it's a nice mall and although it may not have every mainstream store you need, the Macys there is fantastic.

Last edited by chopchop0; 12-02-2012 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando