Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Well, if your argument stands that $46,000 is a "middle class" household income for Orlando, then I respectfully disagree with your definition of middle class.
OK, but that's the average household income in Orlando. So you're saying the handful who average 60K-70K are the middle class and that Orlando is largely a lower class city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM

388 posts, read 790,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The median HOUSEHOLD income for Orlando is $46,000. As a result an individual making $60-$70K would not qualify as "middle class" here.
I kinda have to agree with you. Most single people that move here making around $70k are in a pretty good situation. As long as you don't have a ton of debt or crazy car payments, that's a salary would afford you a killer apt/condo in Thornton/downtown, with plenty of spending money for sure.

I don't have any kids but I know you could still find a good SFH in a good neighborhood for under $200k, which is doable on $50k. That might be spreading a bit thin if you have two children, but it's doable.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM

995 posts, read 1,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OK, but that's the average household income in Orlando. So you're saying the handful who average 60K-70K are the middle class and that Orlando is largely a lower class city?
No. I'm saying that median income is not the definition of middle class.

From wikipedia:
"A persistent source of confusion surrounding the term "middle class" derives predominantly from there being no set criteria for such a definition. From an economic perspective, for example, members of the middle class do not necessarily fall in the middle of a society's income distribution. Instead, middle class salaries tend to be determined by middle class occupations, which in turn are attained by means of middle class values. Thus, individuals who might fall in the middle ground on a societal hierarchy as defined by sociologists do not necessarily fall into a middle ground on an economic hierarchy as defined by economists. As a result, intuitive colloquial and journalistic usage of the term casts a wide net and does not necessarily coincide with an academic sociological or economic definition."

My opinion stands that a couple with 2 kids making a combined income of $46,000 in the city of Orlando could not live a lifestyle that any reasonable person would define as "middle class." I would also argue that "middle class occupations" would pay better than this.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 AM

388 posts, read 790,496 times
Quote:

From wikipedia:
"A persistent source of confusion surrounding the term "middle class" derives predominantly from there being no set criteria for such a definition. From an economic perspective, for example, members of the middle class do not necessarily fall in the middle of a society's income distribution. Instead, middle class salaries tend to be determined by middle class occupations, which in turn are attained by means of middle class values. Thus, individuals who might fall in the middle ground on a societal hierarchy as defined by sociologists do not necessarily fall into a middle ground on an economic hierarchy as defined by economists. As a result, intuitive colloquial and journalistic usage of the term casts a wide net and does not necessarily coincide with an academic sociological or economic definition."

My opinion stands that a couple with 2 kids making a combined income of $46,000 in the city of Orlando could not live a lifestyle that any reasonable person would define as "middle class." I would also argue that "middle class occupations" would pay better than this.
So a teacher would not be considered middle class here? Most of them make well below $46,000.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:

From wikipedia:

My opinion stands that a couple with 2 kids making a combined income of $46,000 in the city of Orlando could not live a lifestyle that any reasonable person would define as "middle class."
Yes, so by definition you are saying that there is a very small middle class population here since the average income is well below what you deem suitable for middle class living. I think you possibly have an outdated grasp of what is considered modern-day middle class. The US average household income is just below 50K so through your definition the 1/3 of Americans in that middle section of the graph are living below "standard". That doesn't jive with the term "middle class' anymore...

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
LOL

Teachers are lower class in FL. The pay is at the bottom nationally. My husband has 10 years of teaching experience and makes $38,600 here. If we could go back to GA and get a job there, he would make around $6,000 more instantly (and our family health insurance would cost $260 instead of $800 a month)

Yeah, we're working on that plan full speed ahead!

I see ads for jobs paying the same or less than what I made in Orlando staring out in 1999.

My school district has 2,300 homeless students. Unemployment is 10.8% (Lake County, just west of Orlando).

I sure would like to know where all of these middle class jobs are in the Orlando metro.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 PM

262 posts, read 793,527 times
Class is defined by more than wages. Job professions that are typically low-paying hold a certain class prestige that marks them as "middle-class". I would think teachers fall into this category.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Orlando is known for extremely low wages, $30,000 would be middle class in Orlando.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Orlando is known for extremely low wages, $30,000 would be middle class in Orlando.
Orlando also has a low cost of living to balance things out. Unlike a place like NJ where everything is expensive except for the gas.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM

419 posts, read 906,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
LOL

Teachers are lower class in FL. The pay is at the bottom nationally. My husband has 10 years of teaching experience and makes $38,600 here. If we could go back to GA and get a job there, he would make around $6,000 more instantly (and our family health insurance would cost $260 instead of $800 a month)

Yeah, we're working on that plan full speed ahead! ....
There is really no mystery here. It's all about TAXES, both state and local.

Georgia has more taxes including a state income tax. ...so there's more to pay teachers and other government employees.

If you want a really big raise, instead of Georgia, find a teaching job in New Jersey or New York...
Taxes are unbelievably high, but teachers can routinely make $80K to $100K and more.

Teachers in these high tax states enjoy some of the best jobs, salary and benefit-wise... However, these top paying states are also broke or near broke (California, for example).

Smart teachers, upon taking early retirement, immediately leave these high tax states, for places like.....Florida, Texas etc.

That is how the game is played, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: