Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 AM

11 posts, read 25,824 times

Advertisements

There is supposed to be a "village" opened up just a few miles from the Sanford Mall off of SR46 in Sorrento across the lake county line, that will house some of the worst sexual offenders. It has been reported to start with a couple hundred and expand into the thousands.

This will not only affect the Sorrento area, but Seminole county, Lake County, Orange County and pretty much all of central florida. It is to be the first community of all sexual offenders in history to my knowledge. It was on Fox35 tonight.

Please, call your senators, congressmen, governor. Sign the online petition against it, make your voice heard.

This is not something that central florida needs.

Please help me get the word out, there is very little time to prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 AM

129 posts, read 339,651 times
A. That doesn't make any sense.

B. Even if it did, how do you prefer your sex offenders? Concentrated in one evil location or spread nicely around the state so that everyone gets one close by?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Are you sure these are the "worst of the worst"? In some states, you can be labeled a sex offender for peeing behind a bush. I'd just be happy you know where they're at. In many places, if they're designated as homeless, they can be wherever.
Besides all that, "stranger danger" is a myth. the real danger lies with the people you don't know about, those who've never been caught or registered, and are often family or close friends of the victim.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
There is supposed to be a "village" opened up just a few miles from the Sanford Mall off of SR46 in Sorrento across the lake county line, that will house some of the worst sexual offenders. It has been reported to start with a couple hundred and expand into the thousands.

This will not only affect the Sorrento area, but Seminole county, Lake County, Orange County and pretty much all of central florida. It is to be the first community of all sexual offenders in history to my knowledge. It was on Fox35 tonight.

Please, call your senators, congressmen, governor. Sign the online petition against it, make your voice heard.

This is not something that central florida needs.

Please help me get the word out, there is very little time to prevent it.

It's actually a good idea if one gets past the NIMBY hysterics. People get all worked into a lather if a registered sex offender moves into their neighborhood and the same if they're placed in a group home situation with supervision. They can't and won't just disappear because of unreasonable hysterics. Having them in a situation where they receive supervision and counseling is certainly more of an appealing option once one thinks rationally. Also, as pointed out in a previous post an overwhelming majority of sex offender cases involve a family member, close family friend or an acquaintance and are NOT stranger-oriented so please, get a grip!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM

According to fox35, it will be for the worst of the worst offenders. Not the kids who mooned someone or peed in a public place.

I'm not one that normally gets worked up into a lather about a sex offender moving into the area.

Every area has it's share, but I guess Central Florida is the chosen place to bring them all here. Do you really think it is a good idea to throw this area to the wolves so that everyone else has a nice safe community? Really? Are you going to shop in that town, buy a home there, send your kids or grandkids there knowing that one third of the population consists of the worst sex offenders in our country?

This isn't some government supervised project. They will be there voluntarily. To come and go as they please. Hey Georgia, if you have a few sex offenders, send them right on down here to Florida. Tell the rest of the states to send theirs too. Go ahead and turn Central Florida into the sexual offender concentration camp. We will give them housing, food, transportation, jobs, yep, I guess that is what Central Florida needs to be known for.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
According to fox35, it will be for the worst of the worst offenders. Not the kids who mooned someone or peed in a public place.

I'm not one that normally gets worked up into a lather about a sex offender moving into the area.

Every area has it's share, but I guess Central Florida is the chosen place to bring them all here. Do you really think it is a good idea to throw this area to the wolves so that everyone else has a nice safe community? Really? Are you going to shop in that town, buy a home there, send your kids or grandkids there knowing that one third of the population consists of the worst sex offenders in our country?

This isn't some government supervised project. They will be there voluntarily. To come and go as they please. Hey Georgia, if you have a few sex offenders, send them right on down here to Florida. Tell the rest of the states to send theirs too. Go ahead and turn Central Florida into the sexual offender concentration camp. We will give them housing, food, transportation, jobs, yep, I guess that is what Central Florida needs to be known for.
Why not here? Is there a town/state more deserving (or undeserving) in your mind's eye of having it built in their community than here?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM

I don't think it should be in any place except the ones we already have, it is called jail. Why should this or any community be saddled with the tax burden, the loss of property values, the piece of mind that people like me have worked hard for to buy and retain my home of 20 years. Why should one community pay the price for everyone else? Oh yeah, I guess our kids should just suck it up, stay indoors for everyone else.

The system we have now isn't perfect but at least the offenders are monitored by local police officers....thousands of them. Lake county can't even keep up with the crime they have now, throw this on them and what do you think will happen. Right now, every parent out there watches as they should, with a false sense of security of the offenders being all located in one spot, their guard will not be as high.

This is every ones problem, every one should share the responsibility, not just one community or one area.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

I'm sorry but in my opinion your being a bit narrow-minded which is where Fox News excels in whipping people like yourself into a frenzy. Who funds keeping all of the sexual predators in jail? How does one keep them in jail when the jails are already full and violent criminals are being paroled because there isn't any more room? Why is the peace of mind of you and a select minority near the facility paramount to the larger issue at hand? How is it you're under the impression police officers monitor sexual predators regularly? Try taking a logical approach to the issue and see where it leads you.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Try using your own logic, how would you react to it if it was in your back yard and you had small children or lived alone or elderly. Are you honestly saying you would welcome it?

Maybe we should put all the toxic waste in your yard, make sure the rest of the country is safe. Same principle, the only difference is that at least the toxic waste would be monitored. This woman has no credentials or experience. This isn't the state or local or even federal government, it is a private individual that thinks she can watch these people and control them by bringing them all together.

Sorry, but some things are worth getting into a frenzy about, kids are one of them.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Try using your own logic, how would you react to it if it was in your back yard and you had small children or lived alone or elderly. Are you honestly saying you would welcome it?

Maybe we should put all the toxic waste in your yard, make sure the rest of the country is safe. Same principle, the only difference is that at least the toxic waste would be monitored. This woman has no credentials or experience. This isn't the state or local or even federal government, it is a private individual that thinks she can watch these people and control them by bringing them all together.

Sorry, but some things are worth getting into a frenzy about, kids are one of them.

Or we can all scream NIMBY and stick our heads in the sand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando