U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM

207 posts, read 977,077 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I were on a grand California vacation recently. Visted north then south. We capped it off by doing a pretty typical 8-hour bus tour around LA and hitting all the "popular" spots, hoping to catch a glimpse of some movie star or signs of glamour and consumption that would make us say "Gee, we wished we lived here".

Ummmm, no. Completely opposite. For the first time since moving to Orlando, I actually appreciated what we have here. It's one of those situations where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or so you think until you're actually there.

LA was dirty, congested (I mean, REALLY congested), the city is bankrupt and it showed by how bad all the roads were. Am I'm talking about in Bel Air and Beverly Hills where a house recently sold for $84m had horrible cracked roads right outside its driveway. The roads were far worse than anything I've experienced in Orlando or Florida in general. There was garbage and debris in the medians and all around the roads in general. Housing is beyond expensive. We picked up a real estate book just our of curiosity, and talk about rediculous...old 3/2 homes going for $799k, and anything with 4 beds not in the ghetto is pretty much over $1m, and it's not like they have huge lots either. People sometimes complain in Florida about the zero lot lines, let me tell you even the rich and famous have zero lot lines over there! We saw Adam Sandlers house, the gate was even open so we got a good look around...I've seen far better homes with more land in just the "average" parts of Winter Park.

Okay, so they do have mountains and terrain which make things a little more interesting to look at than in Florida. But what does that get you? Well, more traffic, increased drive times all-around, eathquakes perhaps?

And, yes, there are some beaches. Venice and Santa Monica are particularly nice we had to admit. But you CAN'T EVEN SWIM in the water without wearing a wet suit to protect you from the freezing water. Seriously freezing. I consider it a bad day at the beach in FL when the water drops out of the 80's. Go here and you can see the water temp chart for the year in LA. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide Low to mid 60's is about the norm. Shrinkage anyone?

So I guess it's worth living in LA to become a movie star or plastic surgeon, because at least with millions at your disposal I can see how you "might" be able to live a decent life there (traffic aside).

Anyway, I know this is coming across as a general rant about LA but the reason I thought it worth explaining is because for us it put living in Orlando and Florida in general in a whole new light, and we were very glad to be home and happy we live in a warm, tropical place that's green all year around, that's affordable to live in, has wonderful beaches with warm water most of the year, and nothing like the traffic of other places. Interestingly, not a single part of California felt tropical to us despite the palm trees. This really surprised us.

So just an observation that if you feel like complaining about Orlando/Florida, please go take a tour of LA and you'll come back feeling a lot better. Not saying it's perfect here, but there are plenty of places a lot worse off overall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM

70 posts, read 141,415 times
For us it was between FL and CA. The taxes are just to high in CA. We would only be able to afford a Trailer in Orange County CA. Here in Orange County FL we have a beautiful 2600 sq. ft house in a great neighborhood.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 PM

5,779 posts, read 13,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy123 View Post
So my wife and I were on a grand California vacation recently. Visted north then south. We capped it off by doing a pretty typical 8-hour bus tour around LA and hitting all the "popular" spots, hoping to catch a glimpse of some movie star or signs of glamour and consumption that would make us say "Gee, we wished we lived here".

Ummmm, no. Completely opposite. For the first time since moving to Orlando, I actually appreciated what we have here. It's one of those situations where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or so you think until you're actually there.

LA was dirty, congested (I mean, REALLY congested), the city is bankrupt and it showed by how bad all the roads were. Am I'm talking about in Bel Air and Beverly Hills where a house recently sold for $84m had horrible cracked roads right outside its driveway. The roads were far worse than anything I've experienced in Orlando or Florida in general. There was garbage and debris in the medians and all around the roads in general. Housing is beyond expensive. We picked up a real estate book just our of curiosity, and talk about rediculous...old 3/2 homes going for $799k, and anything with 4 beds not in the ghetto is pretty much over $1m, and it's not like they have huge lots either. People sometimes complain in Florida about the zero lot lines, let me tell you even the rich and famous have zero lot lines over there! We saw Adam Sandlers house, the gate was even open so we got a good look around...I've seen far better homes with more land in just the "average" parts of Winter Park.

Okay, so they do have mountains and terrain which make things a little more interesting to look at than in Florida. But what does that get you? Well, more traffic, increased drive times all-around, eathquakes perhaps?

And, yes, there are some beaches. Venice and Santa Monica are particularly nice we had to admit. But you CAN'T EVEN SWIM in the water without wearing a wet suit to protect you from the freezing water. Seriously freezing. I consider it a bad day at the beach in FL when the water drops out of the 80's. Go here and you can see the water temp chart for the year in LA. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide Low to mid 60's is about the norm. Shrinkage anyone?

So I guess it's worth living in LA to become a movie star or plastic surgeon, because at least with millions at your disposal I can see how you "might" be able to live a decent life there (traffic aside).

Anyway, I know this is coming across as a general rant about LA but the reason I thought it worth explaining is because for us it put living in Orlando and Florida in general in a whole new light, and we were very glad to be home and happy we live in a warm, tropical place that's green all year around, that's affordable to live in, has wonderful beaches with warm water most of the year, and nothing like the traffic of other places. Interestingly, not a single part of California felt tropical to us despite the palm trees. This really surprised us.

So just an observation that if you feel like complaining about Orlando/Florida, please go take a tour of LA and you'll come back feeling a lot better. Not saying it's perfect here, but there are plenty of places a lot worse off overall.
Having grown up in Orlando myself, I have been to Los Angeles twice since moving to Las Vegas last year

While a lot of what you say is true about LA, it is not all that bad. Did you tour the San Fernando Valley? Areas like Northridge, West Hills, Hidden Hills, Calabasas, Van Nuys, all areas where a majority of tv shows and movies are filmed? The San Fernando Valley is beautiful

As far as housing prices go, remember whatever it is listed as, it probably doesn't sell for. Houses always sell for less than they are listed, but I will agree prices in LA for a house are ludicrous and I have no idea how people in Southern California pay for their homes. I hear that banks offer 50 year mortgages but idk if thats true or not

LA like the rest of California is bankrupt because its a nanny state (lets leave politics aside) nobody doles out as much free handouts as California does.

LA is also very old, Orlando is still a relatively "new" city per se. This would be why roads there are crumbling and look so bad. Their financial situation isnt helping either

As far as traffic, I'll take I-4 during rush hour over the 101 at 2:30 PM anytime. That i'll give you

As far as the beaches, yeah the water is too cold. When I went to Malibu last July, it was 62 degrees on the beach, and the water temp about the same, 20,000+ people on the beach, maybe 3 actually in the water

I love California, I really do and had dreamed of living there as a kid, but after I saw it and how expensive it was. I'll take Vegas or Orlando over LA any time

One thing I will say LA has over Orlando many times is good food and beautiful women. Orlando has a shortage of both. Orlando is getting better food as time goes on, but when it comes to attractive single women, the pickings get slimmer and slimmer

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM

17,816 posts, read 23,630,323 times
Quote:

Wow you learned all that on one bus tour...LOL.

Did the bus tour you take you all over the LA basin and outlying areas? No of course it didn't.

Did you see any of the San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, Orange County....of course not.

The freeway system in CA beats anything in FL, and no there not always congested.

Why don't you go to NYC next and take that Circle Line tour for 3 hours and then tell everyone all about New York.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM

207 posts, read 977,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
One thing I will say LA has over Orlando many times is good food and beautiful women. Orlando has a shortage of both. Orlando is getting better food as time goes on, but when it comes to attractive single women, the pickings get slimmer and slimmer
I'll give you that!

As to the others, I've been to LA before about 5 years ago and have seen some of those other areas (not all though). I was surprised how LA seemed worse to me/us now compared to then, maybe it is the bankruptcy thing. We've also spent time in San Francisco and San Diego, both of which are lovely but, as usual, too expensive and cold water beaches are a non-starter. It was just interesting to compare. To each his own I guess. Food and culture are in the eyes of the beholder, FL and CA each have their own share of uniqueness to be proud of.

And, yes, we've done the NY bus tour and have family/friends there and have been all over the city and long island. I would actually prefer to live there than CA. NYC is great. Still, for raising kids and quality of life/weather we prefer FL at this point. Our friends are stuffed in a 600 sq.ft apartment in Manhattan trying to raise a kid and paying about 3 times as much in rent as we pay in mortgage. They have a nice view, though! LOL.

By the way, while in NYC last year, we were horrified to see young mothers carrying their strollers with infants/toddlers in them DOWN the stairs into the subway. And it was raining. We were sitting at a corner bagel/coffee shop watching this scenario play out several times. How someone can put up with that I have no idea. How does NYC get away with not having elevators for this kind of thing at every station? Crazy.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 13,655,638 times
I've been to 3 of the five boroughs, queens, bronx and manhattan. I think NYC is both over.rated and over priced. winters are FAR too cold (lived in connecticut from 2001-2005)

New york isn't for me. At least LA has great year round weather and doesn't see the.severe blizzards that NY and CT see once a week from thanksgiving to late march

Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 PM

268 posts, read 849,110 times
Quote:

I lived in L.A. for 6 years and your observation was pretty good since your only exposure to the city was a tour. I will say that I really liked living there, but the cost of living is insane. However, if you have a high income and can afford the lifestyle you want then it's a great place, with awesome weather and loads of things to do.

Having said that, Orlando is hard to beat when you factor in cost of living, things to do and the beaches. Plus I like Florida's proximity to the Caribbean and Europe.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 PM

55 posts, read 99,993 times
Very helpful post since I'm really considering Santa Monica vs Orlando these days. Yeah its basically the women and the film industry that are drawing me. Orlando seems to want to be everything that various California cities are good at all under one roof, i.e. video games, film, aerospace, high tech manufacturing etc which is appealing but its far from being there yet but could have the potential. The city realistically is tiny by comparison and growth wise would just continue to sprawl outwards in an unmaintainable fashion in order to support all that though but it would need to be a lot more centrally planned to achieve that. I visited Chicago prior to coming to Florida and was quite impressed by that city's thinking about similar issues

Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 PM

4,193 posts, read 11,030,454 times
I had a similar experience this summer. I visited the NYC metro. Driving from the city to long island i noticed TERRIBLE road conditions. very bumpy, over grown weeds all along the sides of the roads and medians, broken barriers, trash everywhere, and i mean everywhere. Even along a nice walking/biking trail next to a body of water. The grass next to the trail was full of litter. I was in shock, you would never see that much litter along cady way trail, the econ trail, or the trail around lake eola. Dont get me wrong I love NYC and i look forward to visiting it every summer. Its a huge world class city that beats Orlando is almost every category. But when it comes to traffic, road condition, cleanliness and overall attitudes of the residents, Orlando wins.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I had a similar experience this summer. I visited the NYC metro. Driving from the city to long island i noticed TERRIBLE road conditions. very bumpy, over grown weeds all along the sides of the roads and medians, broken barriers, trash everywhere, and i mean everywhere. Even along a nice walking/biking trail next to a body of water. The grass next to the trail was full of litter. I was in shock, you would never see that much litter along cady way trail, the econ trail, or the trail around lake eola. Dont get me wrong I love NYC and i look forward to visiting it every summer. Its a huge world class city that beats Orlando is almost every category. But when it comes to traffic, road condition, cleanliness and overall attitudes of the residents, Orlando wins.
Let's see ... traffic in NYC vs Orlando ... 20+ million vs 2 million ... pretty easy to see why traffic is lighter here. Road conditions ... more use in NYC and road expansion/contraction due to more extreme temperatures usually means the road conditions would be worse. Cleanliness ... Orlando is cleaner as we have more prison road crews picking up trash.

Overall attitudes of the residents ? Please enlighten us as to what you mean by that ... attitude toward what ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando