Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,189,627 times

Advertisements

orlandorico? i like that one too!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 PM

975 posts, read 3,721,167 times
I recently spent 2 days in Orlando and it's great--the lakes around the city are fantastic.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 PM

25 posts, read 85,305 times
I've been here for 7 years and I love it. I'm raising 3 kids here. It's definitely home.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:28 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,740,316 times
I'm happy living here and don't plan to move anytime in the near future...well...at least for another 3-4 years anyway. I love being close to the parks and since they never close seasonally, you can always have fun no matter what time of year.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah VaNative. I was beginning to think I was the only happy Orlando resident on this board.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 AM

800 posts, read 3,078,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastika View Post
so this forum has severely scared me about coming to orlando.

i want to hear more. i want to hear negatives. i want to hear positives (please, please, please give me some positives). does anybody actually like it there? anybody at all?

Actually, many of us do like it here! We just are berated and called names for saying so.

I've been here for a long time and still enjoy Central Florida. I still enjoy the themed parks but now I don't feel obligated to stay all day long! I enjoyed the shows and food at most parks. I enjoy meeting friends that come from out of town at the parks for dinner and a few attractions.

I love being close enough to the beach to visit for the afternnoon. I love the watching the shuttle launch from the beach! And I can get to the ocean or the gulf for the afternoon! Choices, choices, choices.

I do miss having a major league baseball team, however, St Pete's is just too far to go for a night game! We get great concerts and theatre in Orlando! The Science Center rocks. The Sanford Zoo is not big but enjoyable most of the year. Our medical facilities rock! We still like Big Tree Park in Longwood. The "Senator" is amazing. The Citrus Tower view has changed over the years. Bok Tower and the gardens are lovely. Cruising the chain of lakes from Mt Dora is a delightful way to spend a few hours or an entire day!

The sun shines mostly every day!

I avoid the rush hours on I4 but then it's still better than rush hour in Philly or DC, where I have also lived.

Life is what you make it. I'm glad I'm here in Central Florida!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 AM

57 posts, read 155,943 times
Most of Florida seems to be love it or hate it with no in betweens. Orlandorico is no exception. If you have a great job or are one of the trust fund kids in S. Florida and live in a posh neighborhood with a supermodel or underwear model then Florida is Utopia. Otherwise it stinks. No to low jobs, high crime, transient criminal and loser population, con artists and liars galore, pygmie illegals everywhere, yada...yada...yada.

Will the last true American leaving Florida please bring the flag!! Tallrick might have it last. lol

Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I don't have a trust fund and I have an okay job. But even in the worse of times, I can't say that living in Florida ever was my problem here.

Maybe it's just me.....

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,051,278 times
No, I don't much care for Orlando-Rico.

Ten years ago I would say Orlando is nice . Now it's a **ithole.

As somebody who took 4 years of Spanish in highschool, and 2 courses in college, I do not appreciate the Spanish influence in Orlando, which has steadily grown in the thirteen years I've lived here (I lived 4 more years in Tampa as a kid). The area is becomming far less culturally diverse, an outlet for Miami and San Juan. Want to feel like an alien in your own country? I have felt this way in many parts of Orlando.

The traffic is bad for a city or metro area of Orlando's size (population). Too many cars, too many bad drivers. People drive to go everywhere, and they drive long distances over poorly planned roads. Regular traffic here in Orlando is often the same as rush hour traffic in midwestern cities. Most drivers are aggressive, rude, and have no problems breaking traffic rules.

Orlando's population is more transitory than other cities. It's not like Las Vegas or Washington DC but there aren't as many people rooted here. Orlando people are NOT friendly. The friendliest people I think are the blacks and crackers, since they have the deepest roots here. But the average yankee transplant, the majority of the white population, has a crappy attitude. Eye contact is rare, genuine warmth is rare. I feel the people are not friendly for the most part. It is not like the midwest where people are warm and friendly, or the west coast where people are fun-loving. No, people in Orlando bear a deep seated mistrust of everybody and everything. It could stem from their low paychecks and crappy surroundings, who knows.

Human beings deserve better than this misery.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,258,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I feel the people are not friendly for the most part. people in Orlando bear a deep seated mistrust of everybody and everything. It could stem from their low paychecks and crappy surroundings, who knows.

Human beings deserve better than this misery.
I agree with this portion of your post 100%.....I have been on here (citydata) for a couple months now and i have changed some ways of thinking by reading and learning about other peoples views on issues and some things i havent budged on at all......but i figured that i am a big part of what people see around me in my community and felt after reading about rudeness in Orlando and knowing it on a personal level that it was time to make an effort to be nicer as if i wasnt nice already......well i decided i should try waving when i see a neighbor and they notice me there and try to say hi to any neighbors that i have that i walk by.......

Well i got home from work last night around 4am and this guy that i always see walking at this time in the morning to go to his job was walking by me at the same time.....so i figured i would say hi or wave or something.....well i said hi to this guy and smiled and he just looked at me like i was stupid and kept walking.....

i will continue this but usually when one person does that to me i dont try it with that specific person again, unless the situation is right.....

Well that has been my experience in Orlando since i moved here....very rarely will people accept a greeting if they dont know you personally....they look at you like you are a pervert or like you are stupid for saying hello to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando