Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 AM

78 posts, read 117,041 times

Advertisements

It's not blatantly untrue. For me there are no jobs.

Just because you plan on hiring 10 people, it doesn't make the job situation any better. There are still 116,369 unemployed in the Orlando area. If you manage to find ten people to hire you will affect the unemployment rate by .009%.

Then there is the fact that once again, foreclosure filings have spiked in the Orlando area, which remains far above the national average in unemployment and foreclosure filings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
UE in my county is pushing 11% now, and the trend is up, not down.

Two friends of mine just lost high-paying jobs in FL. (both because their entire divisions were shut down) Those jobs paid $70k and $100k in my guess.

I also hear that the timeshare industry is not doing well at all. That could be bad news for Orlando soon.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
By the way, I'm seeing jobs posted with a pay grade that is lower than I made as an entry-level person in that same job 10 years ago.

That is scary.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM

238 posts, read 742,958 times
Lilly, Poinciana is a remote area. We are 30 miles from Orlando. While Kissimmee is about 13 miles from here, it can take up to 30-40 minutes to drive there, depending on the traffic. The Association of Poinciana Villages (APV) has been working on improving the area. I would recommend, if possible, for you to rent here to see if the area agrees with you and your family. We do not have school age children, I have not heard a lot of positive comments about the schools in the area. It is quiet and peaceful (at least in our area) however, I do read comments that there aren't a lot of things to keep children occupied. It is an issued with the amount of traffic on Pleasant Hill and John Young for those that commute to work in Kissimmee and Orlando. Haines City and Winter Haven may be other areas that may offer employment opportunities.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:09 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckHereinFL View Post
I would put more thought into it before moving. You'd probably enjoy it for the first year or two. But the area--and Orlando in general--start to wear thin shortly after that. Why?

-The summer weather is horrible. It's ghastly, it gets very hot and humid. When the temp gets below 50, it feels colder than the coldest winter day in the midwest. It only gets cold a few days a year. You'll come to appreciate that you once lived in an area with four seasons.

-Traffic is horrid. There's only one interstate in Orlando, a metro area with a population of nearly 3 million. Even the toll roads (the ones that actually go some where) get backed up. The side streets are worse. Living in Poinciana, you'll have to deal with traffic quite often. It gets old. It takes a long time to get anywhere of importance.

-Orlando is really a collection of suburbia, with a small downtown in the middle. Yuck.

-Orlando is a center of the foreclosure crisis.

-Poinciana has about 70,000 residents, with one way in and one way out.

-Cypress Cove Nudist resort just happens to be located on that one road.

-No good shopping or restaurants are there.
Hahahaha...I am sorry but I had to snicker that the nudist resort is a negative to you. If I recall correctly, doesn't it have a big ol' fence around it? How does that even affect your day to day living? Just knowing there are naked people behind the fence?

With that said, I do agree with most of the negative thoughts towards the area. From what I have seen, traffic alone would keep me away, let alone all of the other reasons mentioned.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 AM

16 posts, read 93,579 times
Probably your best bet Mel, single mother, unemployed. It would not be a favorable move for you. This area was intended for families and retires with money. The easy access to credit created a monster for this area, drawing in families and young couples into homes they would have not normally purchased.

If you have stable income, retirement or employment this area is fantastic. For those who find themselves with limited means I would recommend looking elsewhere, perhaps something closer to a city center like Tampa or Orlando.

Wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,931 times
Default Don't do it

I am from New England and I lived in Poinciana for nine months. It was the longest nine months of my life. I know someone who worked in the school system...you do not want your child going to Poinciana schools. Poinciana has little to offer.

If you move to the Orlando area expect to spend a long time in your car, even if you are going somewhere that looks relatively close on a map. The traffic, esp in the summer, can be that bad.

You are better off in the Hunter's Creek area.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM

78 posts, read 117,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Hahahaha...I am sorry but I had to snicker that the nudist resort is a negative to you. If I recall correctly, doesn't it have a big ol' fence around it? How does that even affect your day to day living? Just knowing there are naked people behind the fence?

With that said, I do agree with most of the negative thoughts towards the area. From what I have seen, traffic alone would keep me away, let alone all of the other reasons mentioned.
Because it's mostly old guys running around with their wangs hanging out. At least that was my experience at the clothing optional rooftop bar in Key West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando