Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Source?
Are you kidding?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Scores of union leaders earn six-figure salaries | iWatch News

Union Facts: The Center for Union Facts

Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
They are all getting rich at the expense of taxpayers in NY, NJ and CA, who have some of the worst income, property and sales taxes in the country.

While taxpayers in the private-sector were buckling down these few years and getting stuck with furloughs and salary freezes, unions were getting COLAs of -3-4%
And? They negotiated it, the elected rep's authorized it, Why aren't you going after the morons who created the problem by authorizing such payments?

You still aren't showing the point of union leaders taking advantage of their membership.. looks like they are doing what they are paid to do...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
You still aren't showing the point of union leaders taking advantage of their membership.. looks like they are doing what they are paid to do...
Your arguments pro-union are truly not making sense. The evil bankers don't "take advantage" of their membership, as membership is 100% optional. Don't like it, don't give them your money. This is not true of unions, as previously pointed out, who make membership mandatory.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Your arguments pro-union are truly not making sense.
Which one? All I have done is asked someone to prove their point (which they still haven't). The only thing I have said remotely supporting unions was to say it looked like the union bosses were doing what they were paid to do when they got their members a deal the state couldn't afford.
Quote:
The evil bankers don't "take advantage" of their membership, as membership is 100% optional. Don't like it, don't give them your money.
Oh really, so I don't have to pay my taxes related to the bail out? Why thank you VERY MUCH for clearing that up for me!! I'm going to buy a brand new I-pad right now with the money I'm not spending on those taxes!!

Quote:
This is not true of unions, as previously pointed out, who make membership mandatory.
As I just pointed out, it's worse than forced membership. Not only do I not have a choice to pay the banks for effing us seven ways to Sunday, but I don't even get the benefit of any protection from financial disaster by them!!

Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
As I just pointed out, it's worse than forced membership. Not only do I not have a choice to pay the banks for effing us seven ways to Sunday, but I don't even get the benefit of any protection from financial disaster by them!!
Please clue us in on how the banks are effing you seven days to Sunday and you don't get any protection from financial disaster ... to what financial disaster are you referring ?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
Oh really, so I don't have to pay my taxes related to the bail out? Why thank you VERY MUCH for clearing that up for me!!
O.K. So now we are getting somewhere. I'm just trying to figure out what you all are so pissed about.

So if I have this right, you are angry about the bail out? Bank membership, stock investing, etc. is otherwise completely optional.

So if you guys are so mad about the bail out, why not target your crybaby little voices toward Obama since he crafted it?

Last edited by idr591; 10-13-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Which one? All I have done is asked someone to prove their point (which they still haven't). The only thing I have said remotely supporting unions was to say it looked like the union bosses were doing what they were paid to do when they got their members a deal the state couldn't afford.
Oh really, so I don't have to pay my taxes related to the bail out? Why thank you VERY MUCH for clearing that up for me!! I'm going to buy a brand new I-pad right now with the money I'm not spending on those taxes!!

Actually the banks repaid the bailouts with interest, as did the automakers.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually the banks repaid the bailouts with interest, as did the automakers.
The automakers didn't. Our GM bailout was converted to common stock which the government was hoping to profit on. Hasn't happened yet considering new GM's stock has been tanking since the day of its IPO.

Most analysts expect that the automakers will never repay those bailout funds in their entirety. The few cash infusions prior to GM's bankruptcy were pretty much written off anyways

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...t-of-gm/65591/

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/auto...ains/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/21/auto...exit/index.htm

Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The automakers didn't. Our GM bailout was converted to common stock which the government was hoping to profit on. Hasn't happened yet considering new GM's stock has been tanking since the day of its IPO.

Most analysts expect that the automakers will never repay those bailout funds in their entirety. The few cash infusions prior to GM's bankruptcy were pretty much written off anyways

It's Official: The Government Isn't Getting Its Money Back Out of GM - Megan McArdle - Business - The Atlantic

U.S. lost $14B on auto bailout... Excellent! - Jul. 22, 2011

Taxpayers lose $1.3 billion as govt. exits Chrysler - Jul. 21, 2011
OK, I was wrong. I do believe the Chrysler bailout has been repaid in full with interest. And I don't think Ford took one to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando