Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 01:14 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,100 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember when you could swim at the lake on Dean and Colonial called Downey Park? I'm only 28 and remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:22 PM

9 posts, read 12,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron g. - Oakridge'72 View Post
According to one of the history books that I own, it states... "One of the major tourist courts along the Orange Blossom Trail, Wigwam Village was built in the late 1930's. It was removed in 1973 to make way for the 8-Days's Inn at the corner of Orange Blossom Trail and I-4." But being from here I always thought that it was further north than. I was told that it was where the East-West came through there. I worked for the engineering firm that designed the East-West for over 25 years (from 78-to 2003). And I know that's there was an 8-days Inn there too.
We moved to Orlando in 1956. Came for vacation that summer as my Dad interviewed for a job at the Sentinel. We stayed at the "luxurious" Park Lake Cottages, located in the vacant field next to where the Parliament House is now. My Dad was too cheap to stay at the WigWam or the Tour-O-Tel just north of the "cottages" (more like roach motel).
Anyway, the WigWam had about 8 small teepees surrounding the large "office" teepee. Concrete with windows in the sides.
I asked my brother-in-law who was an Orland cop what happened. He said they were torn down for the East-West, and that in their final years they were pretty much used for hookers.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
BTW, I was waiting for Art Grindle to fall through the roof of one of those used cars he used to jump on. Back in the day, I believe his commericials were live, so anything could happen.
When he hosted "The Outer Limits" on Saturday afternoons back in the 70s he had the guy bring out something like a 60's era Dodge Dart convertible. Of course, he climbs up on the windshield frame, and you know it's coming. He loses his balance and steps through the roof. Takes the price of the car and "cuts it in half, because the car needs a new roof".
Art Grindle, and Ross Golden from the "City of Cars" farther down West Colonial. They used to run cheesy tv ads back in the early 60's where Ross would do something or say something, and the response was always, "Aw, c'mon, Ross!!"
Give those guys credit. They knew how to get name recognition for their businesses.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
How many people here remember:

Mack Meiner's
Ronnie's
Colonial Plaza
Orlando Colloseum
Gimme Shelter
The Caboose
Page's
WLOF
BJ105
WORJ
WDIZ
Massey/Grindle Dodge
Stirling Pancake House
All of 'em.
Stirling's Pancake House in Winter Park was where the drunks (and drunk teenagers) went to sober up on endless coffee after the bars were closed.

The Coloseum. I live about 2 blocks from where it was on Orange. There was also the Aquaseum and the Bowlaseum.
Went to an off-campus fraternity party at the Aquarium around 1967. Everyone was underage and drinking.
The Bowlaseum building is still there. Couldn't have had more than about 5 lanes from the size of the building.

WLOF. It's only competition was WHOO 990, which sucked anyway and became a country music station. I've got a t-shirt with the logo on the front, and a reprint of one of the "Happy Hitparaders" weekly picks of the most popular songs that week. They'd print em and leave them at record stores, which probably was a boon for the record stores.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declared Ungovernable View Post
Nergril Cove
Three Star hardcore matinees (RV's Warehouse)
Sleep Out Louies
Electric Avenue
Marco Polo Park
Rimar Drive in Theater (All the drive ins for that matter)
East India Ice Cream
Decades
The walk up McDonalds on Colonial(Arches on the side of the building)
The Rimar. Went there once on a double-date with a friend and his girlfriend. The girl I was with was 20, got trashed on a bottle of wine her mother handed her when we left the house. and started stumbling around the lot.

Another one was the Prairie Lake Drive-In in Altamonte. They'd have "Buck-Night" where a carload could get in for a dollar. Can't say how many movies I actually "saw" there as it was pretty much a place where underaged kids could drink discreetly and make-out with girls.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Joint in the Woods
Beacham Theater
Colony Theater
Bill Baer
Mills & Nebraska
Iveys
Fairway Markets
Fun Machine
The Beacham. I saw "Jailhouse Rock" there in 1956 or '57.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokah2000 View Post
ross goldens city of cars..."aw, c'mon ross!"

macmillans furniture city..."cut it loose, howard"

wrestling matches at the vfw

fort gatlin hotel

san juan hotel

morrisons cafeterias

tangerine bowl football games

the peacocks on Genius Drive

brick roads and dirt roads predominated in the city

martin anderson at the Sentinel

harlan blackburn and the dixie mafia

the old orlando airport by Colonial plaza

tupperware jubillee was the annual event

I-4 didn't exist

going to see the king and his court play softball...4 vs. 10

bob carr was mayor

fireball roberts was the king of NASCAR
McMillan's Furniture City. I think their deal was 3 rooms of furniture for $199.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Was waiting to see if anyone mentioned The Uncle Walt Show. Was on Channel 6 about 5 in the afternoon weekdays. The guy was an Orange County Sheriff, if I remember correctly. Used to have the old black and white Popeye cartoons on (my favorite). The kids on the show were a group for a birthday party that your Mom would mail in a request for, and they all got a Tarnow hot dog, since Tarnow Whole-Hog Sausage was the sponsor.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 PM

Off the Wall was "The Inferno" originally. A topless bar.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Just noticed that someone mentioned a jail farm out at 33rd street.
There was also one on West Colonial where the fairgrounds are now. Everyone called it "The Prison Farm". There was a junkyard right next to it in the late 50s called "The Car Farm" . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando