Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 PM

55 posts, read 107,311 times

Advertisements

Bill Clinton: How to fix the economy - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blog Term Sheet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,313,814 times
Yeah i saw that in his speech. Was pretty shocked honestly. I guess he didn't think about the epicenters of the foreclosure crisis when he made that statement.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,407 times
As Einstein once said, it is all relative.

Ok, maybe he didn't say it LIKE THAT....

The point being If you compare us to say Detroit and other cities that have imploded, Orlando has had it's blow softened by the tourist trade. Sure that market is not what it once was, but last time I checked, Sanford, and OIA were still servicing flights full of tourists from europe.. as many as before? No, but they are still coming. Orlando isn't doing anything "right" it's just lucky that it is the tourist capital of the world. That has helped make things better here than MANY other places in the US.

Oh... and if you think the RE market sucks here... Try Lehigh Acres....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
I don't necessarily agree with his statement about the economy being good here. I know it's bad everywhere and yes it can be worse here but it sure is heck isn't booming here.

I CAN NOT agree with him more about his strategies for the housing market. It only makes sense and I think it will help clean up this mortgage and foreclosure mess.

As for jobs, he came up with a point about having a new sector every 8 years to boost the economy. Something that would be the "new job" to stimulate the economy. Back in his time, he said it was IT that did it.

I don't know why they haven't implemented the buy down for mortgages yet as long as people could prove they could pay the new mortgage. It would eliminate vacant houses and foreclosures. In turn, it would stop foreclosures and then property values wouldn't lose their value so rapidly.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,175 times
billy clinton?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
billy clinton?
Rabid conservatism....When you can't show respect...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I don't necessarily agree with his statement about the economy being good here. I know it's bad everywhere and yes it can be worse here but it sure is heck isn't booming here.
Have you gone out to eat at a more than $20/plate restaurant lately? I have, and while I didn't have to wait because I was early, there were lines waiting to get in when I left. Is that he kind of news the housing market needs? No, but it's a sign the economy is doing well enough when a family of 4 is willing to blow over $100 on a meal.

Quote:
I CAN NOT agree with him more about his strategies for the housing market. It only makes sense and I think it will help clean up this mortgage and foreclosure mess.
Quote:
As for jobs, he came up with a point about having a new sector every 8 years to boost the economy. Something that would be the "new job" to stimulate the economy. Back in his time, he said it was IT that did it.
I remember that well because I was a part of the IT boom. It's funny to me when people who absolutely adore him; run on about how he was the only modern president to enjoy a surplus. The fact was the previous administration opened up the internet to the public and he enjoyed the benefit. He made some good choices, and was a better president than HW and certainly W, but he was more lucky than good.

The problem now is that a lot of Americans are weary of the boom bust cycle. This administration is trying to shove the green economy as the new boom, but people are too poor to spend $17 on an LED lightbulb or $2.50 on a CFL, when they can spend under a dollar for a incandescent. Legislating incandescents out of the equation will help a little, but at the cost of the environment and our land fills being clogged by the mecury in CFL's. The Administration needs to figure out how to get the cost of LED's under control.

Quote:
I don't know why they haven't implemented the buy down for mortgages yet as long as people could prove they could pay the new mortgage. It would eliminate vacant houses and foreclosures. In turn, it would stop foreclosures and then property values wouldn't lose their value so rapidly.
Very simple. Greed. The banks are out to rape every last dollar they can out of us.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,193,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Have you gone out to eat at a more than $20/plate restaurant lately? I have, and while I didn't have to wait because I was early, there were lines waiting to get in when I left. Is that he kind of news the housing market needs? No, but it's a sign the economy is doing well enough when a family of 4 is willing to blow over $100 on a meal.
The unemployment rate is 10% not 90% ... there are some families that can go out to dinner ... just because a restaurant had lines one night is not indicative of how well the economy is doing. People blow hundreds of $$$ on cell phone service as well. Does that mean they can afford it at the expense of other necessities and as a result, the ecomony is doing well ? Other people spend hundreds on car lease payments so they can be seeing in their expensive ride. Does that mean the economy is doing well ? Hardly, most of these people don't have a pot to pee in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat
Quote:
Very simple. Greed. The banks are out to rape every last dollar they can out of us.
You have a choice as to whether you want to use the banks. Use your mattress, bury it in your backyard, or go to a credit union. Everyone wants something for nothing. Banks are in the business of making money. If you keep a minimum balance at most banks, fees are waived.

As far as the buy down program goes, most people can't pay the new mortgage as the original reason for the foreclosure still stands - a loss of job. Oh and I forgot about the home equity loans mortgagees took on their original down payment. Should the banks be blamed for Americans' stupidity on over-extending ? What ever happened to saving for a rainy day ?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:21 PM

78 posts, read 116,979 times
Prosperity center? Perhaps Bill has finally begun inhaling.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yeah i saw that in his speech. Was pretty shocked honestly. I guess he didn't think about the epicenters of the foreclosure crisis when he made that statement.
Unfortunately much of the foreclosure crisis was brought on by homebuyers who refused to accept that there was no way they could afford the homes they were buying. I'm not saying the banks, realtors, and appraisers don't share some blame, but no one held a gun to anyone's head when they signed that $300,000 mortgage note when they were making $9 an hour. or were going to have zero savings after closing, or were going to have to forgo saving for retirement and emergencies in order to pay the mortgage. Unfortunately our society has forgotten the meaning of personal responsibility and has become a society of entitled fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando