Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Worth noting I lived in Orlando (Dr Phillips area) for 20+ years.

You're late to thread but have obviously missed out on the fact that the Orlando "metro" makes up 4000 square miles and 2,000,000 people, of which Orlando itself with a population of just 238,000 is the anchor. Do you understand the disproportion? Around 10% of the metro area population lives within the metro area it's named after.
Keep telling yourself that. Based on "area" from the census, Raliegh has 40+ square miles on Orlando. Again, all these numbers don't factor in the countless tourists that visit Orlando every day. Like someone showed earlier, just look at a map, you will notice the difference.

Explain. Orlando has a nightlife, theme parks, parks, shopping, concerts, shows, Magic, UCF, etc. Roadways are pretty straight forward. I don't see this complaint.[/quote]

Every city over 100,000 or so has some form of nightlife, parks, shopping, concerts and shows as they're hardly unique features and many have an athletic team of some kind (pro or minor league), as well as college or university attached. The theme parks are obviously one of a kind and although in theory part of the city, not.... if one looks at a map. The average area resident might utilize a theme park feature once or twice per year so to suggest it's an everyday part of a resident's life is ridiculous. The downtown area of Orlando is concentric to the city in terms of highways but is not the social/recreational heart of the city as it is spread out into the suburbs where 90% of the metro area residents actually live. People don't always have to drive into Orlando to shop, eat out, enjoy a park or a cultural event thanks to years of sprawl development. The trouble is outside of a major concert event or an NBA game there isn't a compelling reason for the other 90% to have to drive into downtown Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Based on "area" from the census, Raliegh has 40+ square miles on Orlando. Again, all these numbers don't factor in the countless tourists that visit Orlando every day. Like someone showed earlier, just look at a map, you will notice the difference.
You're not comparing apples to apples. Are you working for one of the GOP presidential candidates per chance?

Raleigh (the city) has 40 square miles on Orlando's (the city) area...fine. The population of Raleigh is nearly double Orlando's and a 40 square mile lower density advantage does little to the difference. Orlando's metro area has 2000 square miles on Raleigh's metro area. You don't think that's skewing numbers???

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Every city over 100,000 or so has some form of nightlife, parks, shopping, concerts and shows as they're hardly unique features and many have an athletic team of some kind (pro or minor league), as well as college or university attached. The theme parks are obviously one of a kind and although in theory part of the city, not.... if one looks at a map. The average area resident might utilize a theme park feature once or twice per year so to suggest it's an everyday part of a resident's life is ridiculous.
Did you realize that Hard Rock Live is on Universal's property? Would it be there for not Universal Studios? What about those clubs and movie theater there? Most likely not. Did you realize House of Blues is on Disney's property?
To say you don't go to a Theme Park might betrue. But to go to places that reside on their property... where do you fall...

Being a former resident, I spent a fair amount of time at Wet N Wild as a kid i.e. season passes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were alot of users like myself. Just saying.

Quote:
The downtown area of Orlando is concentric to the city in terms of highways but is not the social/recreational heart of the city as it is spread out into the suburbs where 90% of the metro area residents actually live. People don't always have to drive into Orlando to shop, eat out, enjoy a park or a cultural event thanks to years of sprawl development. The trouble is outside of a major concert event or an NBA game there isn't a compelling reason for the other 90% to have to drive into downtown Orlando.
It is a choice. To say, there is no reason isn't fair to the typical person. There is more than you let on. If you want to see a touring broadway play, downtown. Plenty of bars/clubs on Orange like Firestone, Church Street bars/clubs, etc. Even beyond major concert, you have even less known artists at the Social. Lake Eola has stuff going on there all the time. Just to name a few. Again, it is a choice to partake or not like any other city in the US that has suburbs. Most cities are just as you described.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
This is plain laughable. Visit Raliegh and then visit Orlando and I guarantee you notice HUGE differences in favor of Orlando as it relates to population.

Interesting Facts...
Orange County has 1,145,956 population according to 2010 census. Note, Orlando Metro stretches into 3 other counties...

Raliegh Metro is in Wake County, which has 900,993 population. Raliegh metro only slighty goes into a neighboring Durham County.

Overall, Raliegh-Durham-Cary is 1,749,525 vs Orlando Metro is 2,082,421.

If you add in tourists at any given time, you can drop even higher numbers for Orlando.

2,082,421 is greated than 1,749,525. Yes?
Exactly, Metro Area and Urban Area populations are much better measures of a city's size than City Proper population. Technically, at 821,784 Jacksonville is a larger city than San Francisco, Boston, Baltimore, Charlotte, DC, Denver, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, and even Raleigh. However, in reality, Jacksonville is smaller than any of those other cities. Hopefully that clarifies the distinction I'm trying to make regarding the different Census Bureau designations.

Also I clearly showed satellite imagery that literally shows more development grouped closer together in Orlando than Raleigh. Orlando has a much larger area of "Continuous Urban" that spans a much larger area than Raleigh. That means, there is actually more developed aka "Urbanized" land attached to Orlando's core than Raleigh. Twice the amount of people live in Orlando's continuous urban conglomeration than the much much smaller one for Raleigh. Again Orlando is no huge metropolis, but to say that Raleigh > Orlando in this sense is nonsensical IMO.

After all, 1,157,431 is more than 541,527 right??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_urban_areas

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 10-27-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Exactly, Metro Area and Urban Area populations are much better measures of a city's size than City Proper population. Technically, at 821,784 Jacksonville is a larger city than San Francisco, Boston, Baltimore, Charlotte, DC, Denver, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, and even Raleigh. However, in reality, Jacksonville is smaller than any of those other cities. Hopefully that clarifies the distinction I'm trying to make regarding the different Census Bureau designations.

Also I clearly showed satellite imagery that literally shows more development grouped closer together in Orlando than Raleigh. Orlando has a much larger area of "Continuous Urban" that spans a much larger area than Raleigh. That means, there is actually more developed aka "Urbanized" land attached to Orlando's core than Raleigh. Twice the amount of people live in Orlando's continuous urban conglomeration than the much much smaller one for Raleigh. Again Orlando is no huge metropolis, but to say that Raleigh > Orlando in this sense is nonsensical IMO.

After all, 1,157,431 is more than 541,527 right??
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're clearly for the data set that favors Orlando so relying on common sense numbers will obviously continue to elude you. I'll try one more time though, because maybe this time..

I get the continuous urban aspect but you're losing out on the fact that Raleigh itself is twice Orlando's size and neighboring Durham is larger as well.
So in fact Raleigh is greater than Orlando, and so is Durham in city to city comparisons. We're talking about cities here, not suburban sprawl.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Did you realize that Hard Rock Live is on Universal's property? Would it be there for not Universal Studios? What about those clubs and movie theater there? Most likely not. Did you realize House of Blues is on Disney's property?
To say you don't go to a Theme Park might betrue. But to go to places that reside on their property... where do you fall...

Being a former resident, I spent a fair amount of time at Wet N Wild as a kid i.e. season passes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were alot of users like myself. Just saying.

It is a choice. To say, there is no reason isn't fair to the typical person. There is more than you let on. If you want to see a touring broadway play, downtown. Plenty of bars/clubs on Orange like Firestone, Church Street bars/clubs, etc. Even beyond major concert, you have even less known artists at the Social. Lake Eola has stuff going on there all the time. Just to name a few. Again, it is a choice to partake or not like any other city in the US that has suburbs. Most cities are just as you described.
You stated prior that you lived in Dr Phillips. Believe it or not a small share of the whopping 238,000 who live in Orlando do not live in Dr Phillips or near Disney (look at a map). The remainder, plus those who live in the hysterically large 4000 square mile "metro area" (suburban sprawl) aren't near Disney/Universal and find the schlep there less than pleasant. In terms of water parks most adults have moved on to other pursuits and bars/clubs or concerts... big deal. Is that supposed to be unique?

Despite all the smoke and mirrors this city is about on par with other cities it's size in terms of things to do...Greensboro, Reno and Madison to name a few.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,753 times
Quote:
You stated prior that you lived in Dr Phillips. Believe it or not a small share of the whopping 238,000 who live in Orlando do not live in Dr Phillips or near Disney (look at a map). The remainder, plus those who live in the hysterically large 4000 square mile "metro area" (suburban sprawl) aren't near Disney/Universal and find the schlep there less than pleasant. In terms of water parks most adults have moved on to other pursuits and bars/clubs or concerts... big deal. Is that supposed to be unique?
Not all adults partake in the bar/club scene, especially the ones with families.

As for bar/clubs, last time I was there all you had outside Orange Ave (i.e. Downtown) and CityWalk/Pleasure Island (i.e. land owned by Theme Parks) is local bars, none which were "happening". As for concerts, last time I was there all the shows go to Amway (i.e. Downtown), HoB (i.e. Disney's land), Hard Rock Live (i.e. Universal's land), and the Social (i.e. Downtown) with the occasion of them at the Fairgrounds (i.e. pretty much Downtown) and UCF.

Quote:
Despite all the smoke and mirrors this city is about on par with other cities it's size in terms of things to do...Greensboro, Reno and Madison to name a few.
I have never been to Reno or Madison but Greensboro... really you feel there is more in Greensboro than Orlando. This comment alone shows your validity. Do you realize most of the people travel from Greensboro to go to shows/concerts in both Charlotte as well as Raleigh-Durham since hardly anything but hip hop shows come there. Now how many does Orlando have... See above + anything new since I moved away (main reasons were the heat and tourism/mass amounts of people). Did you know that Greensboro (if I recall correctly) has only two malls; 1 indoor, 1 outdoor. Now how many does Orlando have . No sports outside the local college UNCG, who doesn't even have a football team. Now how many does Orlando have

Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Not all adults partake in the bar/club scene, especially the ones with families.

As for bar/clubs, last time I was there all you had outside Orange Ave (i.e. Downtown) and CityWalk/Pleasure Island (i.e. land owned by Theme Parks) is local bars, none which were "happening". As for concerts, last time I was there all the shows go to Amway (i.e. Downtown), HoB (i.e. Disney's land), Hard Rock Live (i.e. Universal's land), and the Social (i.e. Downtown) with the occasion of them at the Fairgrounds (i.e. pretty much Downtown) and UCF.

I have never been to Reno or Madison but Greensboro... really you feel there is more in Greensboro than Orlando. This comment alone shows your validity. Do you realize most of the people travel from Greensboro to go to shows/concerts in both Charlotte as well as Raleigh-Durham since hardly anything but hip hop shows come there. Now how many does Orlando have... See above + anything new since I moved away (main reasons were the heat and tourism/mass amounts of people). Did you know that Greensboro (if I recall correctly) has only two malls; 1 indoor, 1 outdoor. Now how many does Orlando have . No sports outside the local college UNCG, who doesn't even have a football team. Now how many does Orlando have
I'm not saying more to do in Greensboro...as much (that's what "on par" means...).

You're counting number of malls as an advantage and a college football team with pretty much zero community backing? So much for your validity..

Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
I am with you on some of your points regarding sprawl and the fact that many people never venture downtown. However, you are WAY off comparing Orlando to Greensboro and Reno. Just look at the GaWC classifications for world cities. Orlando is a Gamma- world city along with Austin. Gamma cities include Tampa, KC, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Indy which Orlando is on par with in many ways but not all. Lower High Sufficiency cities are where they belong: Jacksonville, Las Vegas, SLC, Nashville for example. Reno and Greensboro do not even make the list...they are much smaller cities that do not belong in the conversation.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times
I think personally that kyle just hates Orlando and wants to bash it like NJPhilliesPhan

Orlando should NOT be compared with Reno, true the city propers population is similar, but overall Reno is a small town if you look at its metro.

Orlando is 100 sq miles, 7 of which is.water. And OIA takes up a HUGE chunk of the city. and the area around OIA is sparsley developed

Las Vegas Metro is similar in population to Orlando at 1.9 million, with a city proper population of 580,000 roughly and a similar area of 110 sq miles. But there is no water and McCarran Intl Airport isn't in city limits, nor is the strip. LVs metro is 8000 sq miles 2x.as big as Orlando, and a vast majority of the people live in the las vegas valley the rest of clark county is either mountains and the desert

Overall Orlando is thr bigger and better metro than Vegas. but a comparable cost of living
I'm planning on moving back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando