Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
In that regard, I think Orlando is actually much better. In terms of cost of living, good luck trying to get your own house in Vancouver, San Diego or London. The Orlando metro area is quite affordable compared to those places in terms of COL. Plus for a city of this size, I think you will not find better world class attractions and amenities.
You get what you pay for ... and outside of the theme parks, what other world class attractions does Orlando have to offer ? Believe it or not, the theme parks are not enough for some people nor are the outlet malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You get what you pay for ... and outside of the theme parks, what other world class attractions does Orlando have to offer ? Believe it or not, the theme parks are not enough for some people nor are the outlet malls.
Show me a city of this size with a better airport. We also have great shopping, a symphony orchestra, theater, and plenty of restaurants.

For its size, Orlando rivals any city in the country IMO. You are sitting here trying to compare a city with under 300 K in population (2 million metro) to cities with 578 K (Vancouver) and 1.3 million (SD). It's a silly comparison. Go compare Orlando to Wichita KS or Tulsa OK, if you want to be more fair.

Last edited by chopchop0; 10-18-2011 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Show me a city of this size with a better airport. We also have great shopping, a symphony orchestra, theater, and plenty of restaurants.

For its size, Orlando rivals any city in the country IMO. You are sitting here trying to compare a city with under 300 K in population (2 million metro) to cities with 578 K (Vancouver) and 1.3 million (SD). It's a silly comparison. Go compare Orlando to Wichita KS or Tulsa OK, if you want to be more fair.
Yes, let's be fair ...

The population in the Vancouver metro area is about 2.1 million, pretty darn comparable to Orlando. And for that matter, San Diego's is around 3 million. Even the Denver metro is about 2.5 million. To me, the Orlando metro pop at 2.1 million is quite comparable to the above cities. Maybe not Sydney or London but the aforementioned cities certainly fit in the same population bracket.

LOL, figures you would throw in such hotspots as Tulsa and Wichita.

I'll give you the airport, but Denver, Vancouver, & San Diego all have shopping, symphony orchestras, and a plethora of restaurants.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Yes, let's be fair ...

The population in the Vancouver metro area is about 2.1 million, pretty darn comparable to Orlando. And for that matter, San Diego's is around 3 million. Even the Denver metro is about 2.5 million. To me, the Orlando metro pop at 2.1 million is quite comparable to the above cities. Maybe not Sydney or London but the aforementioned cities certainly fit in the same population bracket.

LOL, figures you would throw in such hotspots as Tulsa and Wichita.

I'll give you the airport, but Denver, Vancouver, & San Diego all have shopping, symphony orchestras, and a plethora of restaurants.
Orlando's MSA may be that big, but it's a pretty big area that it covers. Orlando city proper is under 250 K. It does not have as established of a "core" as these other cities. The MSA is much more spread out. Remember, that 2.1 million figure includes people living in Sanford, Lake Mary and Kissimmee.

I would also argue that those other cities probably have a lot more history behind them than Orlando which is pretty much in its infancy, as a "global" city

Last edited by chopchop0; 10-18-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Orlando's MSA may be that big, but it's a pretty big area that it covers. Orlando city proper is under 250 K. It does not have as established of a "core" as these other cities. The MSA is much more spread out. Remember, that 2.1 million figure includes people living in Sanford, Lake Mary and Kissimmee.

I would also argue that those other cities probably have a lot more history behind them than Orlando which is pretty much in its infancy, as a "global" city
Alright, let's create some history in Orlando ... should we have an Orlando Tea Party and throw Governor Scott into Lake Eola or maybe a mini-revolution where the Occupy Orlando folks play kickball against the Tea Party conservatives ?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Alright, let's create some history in Orlando ... should we have an Orlando Tea Party and throw Governor Scott into Lake Eola or maybe a mini-revolution where the Occupy Orlando folks play kickball against the Tea Party conservatives ?
You know Leftee I think I agree with you for once. I'd love to see both these things happen.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
You know Leftee I think I agree with you for once. I'd love to see both these things happen.
Me too! LOL

Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:

Of course it does, that's what metro area populations are, the city plus the suburbs. San Diego and Denver are no different in that they also include the suburbs in the population, however I agree with your point about established cores.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM

189 posts, read 436,162 times
Quote:

I would love to see Rick Scott dumped into Lake Eola, or any body of water really

Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
The city of Orlando proper is quite small too, only 235k people. If you add up all the populations of all the zips that say 'Orlando, FL' youd probably get around 700,000 people, comparable to cities like Denver, Kansas City, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando