U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 AM

19 posts, read 69,567 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am prospective UCF student and will be moving to the area in December to start school in Spring 2012. I have been looking around online for apartments/condos and townhomes. Everything I found within my price range ($700) that I liked had very negative reviews on rating websites. I am confused; where can I live close to campus that's safe and affordable?

Here are a few communties I could afford, but I wonder if there is a catch ...
Please make recommendations or tell me about your experiences!

Oviedo : Loma Vista Apartments For Rent in Oviedo, FL | Loma Vista ($687 for 2/2)
Mystic Cove Apartments For Rent in Oviedo, FL | Mystic Cove ($694 for 2/2)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,588,958 times
Oviedo rents tend to be cheaper due to the known student population. Oviedo definitely is nice, so there is no real catch. If you were not moving to be a student, I would warn of the noise of the student population, but being young and a student yourself you will be less impacted than an older resident or family moving into the properties. These properties are a bit older (comparatively) and further from UCF than many of the new properties, so this also is most likely reflected in the discounted price.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your advice! Those places do sound like a good deal then considering the square footage, the location and the price! I also just received an email from Nob Hill Apartments
600 N. Semoran Blvd
Winter Park, Fl 32792

They look just fine on the website and the price is reasonable.On apartmentratings.com however, they are rated very poorly. How reliable are those reviews? some,especially fancy, expensive places- have great reviews and others are being criticized and bashed by former and current tenants. It sounds quite scary at times.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Berkshires at Winter Park is another community that caught my eye. Once again one that received extremely bad ratings! Berkshires at Winter Park Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Winter Park apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Overall, which town- Oviedo or Winter Park - would you recommend for a 23 year old couple? ( We are both students so noise is not our concern). Proximity to campus, shopping/dining (for part time jobs) and safety are more important to us!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM

12 posts, read 32,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeist87
Here are a few communties I could afford, but I wonder if there is a catch ...
The catch is that the two communities you posted are income restricted communities.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Meaning I will most likely be surrounded by people who simply could not afford to rent anywhere else?
Does that apply to the following places as well:

Andover Place | Amenities | Apartments for Rent in Orlando , FL

Orlando Apartments - Apartment for Rent in Winter Park, Florida

East Lake Apartments - Orlando Apartments For Rent | Orlando, FL | Videos, Tours and Photos

Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,917,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeist87 View Post
Thanks for your advice! Those places do sound like a good deal then considering the square footage, the location and the price! I also just received an email from Nob Hill Apartments
600 N. Semoran Blvd
Winter Park, Fl 32792

They look just fine on the website and the price is reasonable.On apartmentratings.com however, they are rated very poorly. How reliable are those reviews? some,especially fancy, expensive places- have great reviews and others are being criticized and bashed by former and current tenants. It sounds quite scary at times.
I checked out Nob Hill when I moved here 5 years ago. It was okay, but I think I am glad I chose not to live there. The problem with online review sites like that is that most people will just through hoops to complain, but wouldn't really do much when things go well.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 PM

thank you all for your answers!
Does anybody know anything about VENETIAN PLACE ? )(venetianplacecondos.com)
Another property i really fell in love with were Avalon condos ( AVALON CONDO - ORLANDO Rental - Reid Rental Management) until I found this: Avalon Condominium Orlando FL Independent Committee of Avalon Owners The Biggest Pool in Orange Co

As always,your help is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando