Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 865 times

Advertisements

hello.
My fiancee and I are looking to move to the florida area. We are young recently graduate college students looking to leave the cold and dangerous Chicago!!! Interested in good decent jobs, afforable housing, safe neighborhoods, and afforable living. SAFE areas is a must. In Chicago you must have some protection going anywhere, and we are tired of that. Can anyone gives us some advice!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirlwantsmore View Post
hello.
My fiancee and I are looking to move to the florida area. Interested in good decent jobs, afforable housing, safe neighborhoods, and afforable living. SAFE areas is a must.
A quick scan of many other posts should give you ample resource on your criteria as half a dozen posts per day are asking for similar info . Jobs are tough to come by in Florida these days and i'd suggest at least one of you secure a job before making the move.
Where to move? i'd explore any area you land a job then get back to the forum members for more detailed info on the area..
Affordable housing? you can only let that bar go so low before you start running into the more unsavory areas of Florida as people with little also tend to live in the more affordable housing neighborhoods..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
hello.
My fiancee and I are looking to move to the florida area. We are young recently graduate college students looking to leave the cold and dangerous Chicago!!! Interested in good decent jobs, afforable housing, safe neighborhoods, and afforable living. SAFE areas is a must. In Chicago you must have some protection going anywhere, and we are tired of that. Can anyone gives us some advice!!!!
First thing I did when I greaduated college was register with the college placement office to receive a weekly mailing of openings . That was back when computers took up whole walls in the science building so I would hope/assume you could do this on line now.

With the economy the way it is , it is best to find a position before finding a location in Florida. Get your foot in the door somewhere and then look for a better job from here.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Orlando is not a place to look for jobs.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 PM

288 posts, read 733,768 times
You are definitely looking in the wrong place for safety, a livable salary, and affordable living. The job situation down here is utterly dismal. The only thing this part of Florida has going for it is pretty weather for half the year. Pretty weather and a blue sky with big puffy clouds are not going to pay the bills. There are plenty of low paying crap jobs here, like sales and thankless call center jobs. With a degree and certifications you will be lucky to get $15 an hour along with pages of duties and requirements. Stand for 8 hours a day and get $9 per hour selling cell phones and you better meet a sales quota while you're at it, if you're lucky enough to get the job. Food and gas cost the same as they do up there. In fact gas costs about 10 cents a gallon more here than it does in the Washington DC area for example. Go to orlandosentinel.com or any of the area news websites and see for yourself. Read the local news and see how many people get shot and killed or mangled in car accidents every single day around here. It is no different than any other metropolitan area.

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country but I'll tell you something, unless you're independently wealthy you will NOT have a good life here. But on the other hand you'll find that people here can afford their beer and cigarettes just fine.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:19 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:
hello.
Yeah, move to Wheeling and commute!!!

Ok, seriously.... Get a job lined up before you move ANYWHERE.. Unless you have a ton of cash in the bank..If so, I suggest starting in Seminole county. Get a place, then let the chips fall where they may.

If you are not loaded...get a job first, you will then have reason to target a specific area (to be close to work).

Remember if you move down here now, the next 6 months are going to be heaven compared to Chicago. Chances are you won't even get out of shorts unless you have to dress up for work. After that though.. Remember the summer of '95 when people were dropping like flies left and right up there? Yeah, that's what the following 6 months will be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: