Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 59,718 times

Advertisements

Hi All-

Hope everyone is enjoying their Monday so far!
Looking for some advice...so here goes

My husband and I recently moved from Northern NJ to Altamonte Springs, FL- we have been here about 6 weeks now to be exact. We really like it here, but to our surprise, the cost of living isnt exactly as low as we heard it would be. Is it probably because of the area we are in right now?

Altamonte Springs seems like a really nice area. So does Lake Mary and Winter Springs. However, the styles of the homes here aren't exactly to our liking. Neither of us know anyone in the area, so it's not like we have anyone to ask. This is where you guys come in.

We would like to know where, in your opinion, would be the best areas for us to look. We are looking for a safe, family friendly neighborhood, close to good schools & low to moderate cost of living. These are our main concerns. I know we could always ask the realtor (whoever that ends up being), but with the real estate market the way it is these days, the last thing I want is to be lied to so he/she can make a quick buck off us. I worked in the mortgage industry for about 5 years, so I know how unscrupulous some realtors can be.

I have read that West/Northwest Sanford is nice, but I was hoping to maybe stick to the Orlando area (prices there seem better and the styles are more to our liking- like the below, which is actually in Kissimmee, but you get my point). We were thinking of Deltona, but it seems like it might be too far from Orlando for work commuting purposes.

Hopefully with your input and our research, we can find somewhere nice soon, preferably a home that isn't located in a county that will jack up the annual taxes like crazy

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Need some input- house hunting in Central FL-home.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2685 View Post
Hi All-

Hope everyone is enjoying their Monday so far!
Looking for some advice...so here goes

My husband and I recently moved from Northern NJ to Altamonte Springs, FL- we have been here about 6 weeks now to be exact. We really like it here, but to our surprise, the cost of living isnt exactly as low as we heard it would be. Is it probably because of the area we are in right now?

Altamonte Springs seems like a really nice area. So does Lake Mary and Winter Springs. However, the styles of the homes here aren't exactly to our liking. Neither of us know anyone in the area, so it's not like we have anyone to ask. This is where you guys come in.

We would like to know where, in your opinion, would be the best areas for us to look. We are looking for a safe, family friendly neighborhood, close to good schools & low to moderate cost of living. These are our main concerns. I know we could always ask the realtor (whoever that ends up being), but with the real estate market the way it is these days, the last thing I want is to be lied to so he/she can make a quick buck off us. I worked in the mortgage industry for about 5 years, so I know how unscrupulous some realtors can be.

I have read that West/Northwest Sanford is nice, but I was hoping to maybe stick to the Orlando area (prices there seem better and the styles are more to our liking- like the below, which is actually in Kissimmee, but you get my point). We were thinking of Deltona, but it seems like it might be too far from Orlando for work commuting purposes.

Hopefully with your input and our research, we can find somewhere nice soon, preferably a home that isn't located in a county that will jack up the annual taxes like crazy

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
West Sanford is nice but it maybe out of your price range. BTW, are you looking to buy a house or rent? If so, what do you want to spend? Are schools an issue? If not, I maybe able to recommend some areas that are less expensive in Sanford or even Lake Mary.

Taxes won't be as bad if find a home that is already homestead exempt. If not, the taxes will be a lot higher until next year when you can file for exemption.

I would steer clear of Deltona. If you go over the bridge into Volusia County, you can find some nice homes at a good price in Debary. I can't comment on Orlando b/c I don't know much about neighborhoods there.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
Well for a newer home like that I would suggest you look at nearby Apopka. There are newer constructions homes which are generally cheaper than Altamonte. Apopka is a more moderate community so somewhat more affordable. The tradeoff is the schools. The elementary and middle schools are good but Apopka High is not the greatest, but not the worst. Best areas are near 429 and Errol Estates. There are also nice newer neighborhoods along Welch and Thompson roads. I would look specifically in Lake Doe Cove as there are newer homes there, many which are below market value.

You might also be able to find some good deals in Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park area but I'm not sure it will be any cheaper cost of living.

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 10-17-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
i can't say that cost of living is anywhere near low in Florida, at least here in Orlando area. Maybe back in the wayback machine but not anymore.

if jobs are not a question, perhaps lake county?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Maybe you would like some of these homes:

Winter Springs Village

Brand new community, but small lots. 2 story, some with front load garages. Looks a little like your picture. It's in Winter Springs.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM

793 posts, read 2,523,998 times
Yes, Winter Springs Village is attracting buyer attention based on the schools, area and location to Route 417.

Still like the Lake Nona area for investment reasons, good schools and although stark now the kitchen sink is coming thanks to the Medical City.

Windermere / Winter Garden area behind Disney especially the neighborhoods of Independence, Summerport and the newer Windermere Landing.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 59,718 times
Thanks for your reply. We are looking to buy- I would say 125 to 150K would be our price range.
We plan on staying in that home for a long time, so I would say schools are an issue. We would not want to go somewhere where the schools will be bad for our future children, you know?

I am actually not familiar with the homestead exemption, but I can look that up

Do you mind me asking why you would steer clear of Deltona?

Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. We are looking to buy- I would say 125 to 150K would be our price range.
We plan on staying in that home for a long time, so I would say schools are an issue. We would not want to go somewhere where the schools will be bad for our future children, you know?

Thanks again!
It really isn't a desirable area IMHO and I'm sure others will agree with me. Do a search on here for Deltona and read some of the posts.

You can find homes like that in your price range in Debary. Just over the bridge and you will still have the convenience of everything in Sanford.

The homestead exemption can be very confusing. You want the home to be your primary residence and then there will be a big reduction in your real estate taxes.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,674,610 times
Quote:

Thanks again!
Because you want the best you possibly can do for your future children right? It's not that Deltona is horrible for kids but with your price range you can do better. Take the klids out of the equation, and Deltona is ok... far... but ok.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
I would really urge you to reconsider the need for a new home and look into the resale/established home market. In that price range you're limiting yourself to cheaply-built construction that will not hold up in value and will not be in areas with good schools. If you go the existing home route you can find many choices in nice, established family-friendly neighborhoods in Lake Mary or Longwood that are also in good school districts. I sent you some listings via direct mail that are some good choices. Don't worry, I'm not a skeevy real estate agent..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando