Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,225,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You consider the city's people and neighborhoods cultural entertainment ? Ever been to 6th St in Austin ? In fact, have you ever been to Austin period ? The live music scene dwarfs anything Orlando has to offer.

And what about the airport ? You hang at the airport for cultural enrichment ? So it's an accessible airport ... I've never had any trouble flying in or out of RDU.

Finally, what emphasis should we give a 2 million person metro when the great majority of them are near minimum wage service workers.

Raleigh-Durham and Austin win by a landslide.
Agreed.

RD and Austin are well-established college towns that are syngeristic with thriving cities. Austin is a great start-up place, and RD has the well-established research triangle.

Orlando has UCF, but it's not at the same level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 AM

26,836 posts, read 43,324,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
No no city boundaries are not the best measure of city size as in the example of Jacksonville being the largest city in the state of Florida, nearly twice the size of Miami lol. Metro area is a hit or miss measure as well since it uses entire county populations that are considered part of the metro. Urban area however reflects the continuous development extending from a city center like Orlando, and reflects the actual size of a city and it's non exurban suburbs. So no your stats do not reflect "MSA" data as that would have implied metro area which Orlando is again the largest (by far). Oh and as far as my sources are concerned, just do a quick Google search for msa population vs urban area population then perhaps look up how the census bureau actually ranks population centers and get back to me...
Oh and maybe I missed something last time I was in DT Raleigh, but that town rolls up the sidewalk at night as it is a very 9-5 state capital feeling town. Maybe we just don't agree in terms of culture and things to do...
I'm not referring to city size, I'm referring to population. Both Raleigh and Durham independently are larger than Orlando in terms of population. That should be the first telling sign that Orlando doesn't stack up in terms of things to do as it relies on suburban population to be relevant. In terms of MSA data, Raleigh and Durham were split up (despite being 30 miles apart) in terms of MSA statistics. Orlando's MSA like I mentioned before covers 4000 square miles while the Raleigh-Cary MSA for example covers just 2150 square miles and is hardly an apple-to apple comparison. Bear in mind Orlando's MSA is so large because there isn't a cohesive core and it's the only city of population significance (a whopping 230,000) in the area. Lastly, in terms of rolling up the sidewalks, have you not been out in the "core" of Orlando after dark? It's vacant! I'm supposing while in Raleigh you conveniently missed the Warehouse District, Glenwood and Five Points...which are all in the downtown area.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:29 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,291,342 times
I didn't mean to start a city v city thread war, I just wanted to illustrate why some similarly sized southern cities are more attractive to high tech and businesses. I personally have never been to Austin or Raleigh-Durham but from an objective standpoint, those are the characteristics that provided advantages to those areas. Things like the local music scene, South by Southwest festival do play a part in decision making for young entrepreneur. My point, is we need to look to these cities to find out what we can do better here. By no means do I think we are inferior, but when you looking to win, you gotta look to the winners.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM

55 posts, read 106,801 times
Btw guys I've worked and lived in Austin for about a year and I would choose Orlando. It depends on what's important to you and what you partake in. Austin does have a great live music scene but if you know Austin, you also know that a lot of Austinites are actually out of town and rent their places out for $$$ for things like ACL (Austin City Limits festival) or are checked out of that entirely. Malls are also really far spread out (worse than Orlando) and if you actually want to be a home owner, the high property taxes are what pays the bill there and what you will be stuck with for life.

Austin is geared towards a young, if not overeducated population just starting out but not that great for anyone putting down roots imo. It also has a thriving and interesting tech scene but I would prefer california. Overall I found that while Austin has its strengths, unless you jive with the whole 'keep Austin weird' thing it's really no different or better than other metros.

Job wise, Austin, but since I'm not looking for one and have different needs I would choose Orlando given what I've seen. Costs, economics, ability to make money (or not run out of it) ultimately trumps local scene events. Its always a delicate juggling act choosing how many or which events to attend and still getting work done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando