Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 PM

244 posts, read 417,610 times

Advertisements

insulated concrete form homes available in the Orlando area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Indeed there are some builders specializing in this form of building. It is about the most efficient building style available and also serves as a bomb shelter...(jk)... well pretty much they are extremely strong and in the event of sever storms you would be the local safe place.

I can direct you to my contacts for this if you want to contact me. I PM'ed my email but you can also access it via the blog.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Concrete-block homes built in the 50s, 60s and 70s share the same attribute as they've successfully weathered umpteen hurricanes over the years.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM

266 posts, read 449,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Indeed there are some builders specializing in this form of building. It is about the most efficient building style available and also serves as a bomb shelter...(jk)... well pretty much they are extremely strong and in the event of sever storms you would be the local safe place.

I can direct you to my contacts for this if you want to contact me. I PM'ed my email but you can also access it via the blog.
Yes, I am knowledgable about ICFs. I can help you and others with these systems. Be careful about assuming energy efficiency with ICFs. ICFs offer energy efficiency several ways: First the convection and infiltration rates are virtually nil; Secondly, thermal mass changes the frequency of thermal cycling. Concrete has an R value of 0.2 per inch. A 12 inch thick wall would therefore be R-2.4.

Although ICFs are used in most any geography because of concrete's thermal mass the system for energy considerations requires some complicated math to determine if exterior climate data is favorable to exploit the mass relationship. I often tell people to remember somewhere inside the concrete its 35 deg f when the interior is 70 and its zero outside. That concrete is inside an excellent Coleman cooler, if you will. Technically, the home interior is not inside the same zone.

In reality, one would be far better of having 4" of foam panels outside a poured concrete wall rather than 2" foam, concrete, and 2 more inches of foam. The difference are not subtle - ICFs is a high thermal mass between insulation. Having 4" insulation outside high thermal mass is considerably more efficient than a standard ICF.

Not doubt about concrete's structural integrity. However is a home has a prolific amount of windo openings forget concrete. Generally speaking, SIPs would be a more valuable choice. SIPs are very misunderstood. What's to know is the basic SIP is almost 3X stronger the stud construction and much more affordable on cost and lower energy usage. SIPs can easily attain 150mph wind ratings.

In Florida, I would likely recommend other than ICFs unless your convinced that is your path and you can afford them. SOme projects naturally lend themselves, or conducive to certain protect types. Sometimes a hybrid is best. Half wall ICF the top half is SIP. Lastly, do not be fooled thinking an ICF house to be less fire resistant. ICF use only means the concrete will not burn down. ICFs are like any other building system - everything has its proper place.

As for Bomb shelter ICFs are fantastic for safe rooms. Otherwise, the ICF may be strong and durable but window and door openings are not.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
insulated concrete form homes available in the Orlando area?
Yes. It very common that I work others as an owner authority with one's desired local contractor. Basically, I direct and control, the GC installs under my guidance and supervision. I bring all the solutions experience tips and tricks to a project. I can also price the project for the contractor and do all the other related PM stuff to insure a speedy quality project.

With ICFs, its all about timing inspection agencies to coincide with a scheduled pour.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Concrete-block homes built in the 50s, 60s and 70s share the same attribute as they've successfully weathered umpteen hurricanes over the years.
kyle19125,

You are correct. However, the CMU blocks of old had thicker walls and webs, as well as more webs. In addition, the blocks were compressed tighter with more portland. Did you ever try to put a nail in those things? Compared to a modern block, that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando