Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I always thought the essence of attending college is to get a great education and prepare for the real world after college. Fun is just a by-product.

As far as being an incredible school, how does it rank academically ?

UCF | University of Central Florida | Best College | US News

We can see that it has a long way to go and most of you will probably be taking your dirt nap if and when it ever cracks the top 50. And since when is the volume of students indicative of how great the school might be ? Maybe they take anyone with a pulse or all of those that couldn't get into FSU, Miami, or UF ...
Well you joined into the conversation by claiming UCF had no tradition and never will, that's why they're undeserving of a major TV contract like Notre Dame. Tradition usually entails fun, so yes fun is a major part of the equation. And let's be real, the "essence" of college is the experience AND getting an education. Even kids who attend Harvard go because they know they will be surrounded by like minded people who will make their college experience enjoyable and maybe even...fun. UCF may not be top 50 but in the past years they have went from unranked into their current spot. They have their own medical school now and their alumni include state politicians, CEO's, Judges, and other prestigious positions. My friends who attended UCF went on to work for NASA, Fortune 500 companies or start their own successful businesses. Not too shabby for a non elite school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 01:07 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Way more excited about ECHL.

I wonder if they will resurrect the Solar Bears? The Seals were okay but they always ran on a shoe-string budget. The Solar Bears were awesome and winners in their last year. If you remember, the Magic owners ran the Bears and after winning the Championship in 2002(?) their league, the IHL went under. The existing 2nd Division AHL invited some IHL teams to join but RDV said no thanks. They went out winners and could have stayed for the long haul.

Glad to have hockey back!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Way more excited about ECHL.

I wonder if they will resurrect the Solar Bears? The Seals were okay but they always ran on a shoe-string budget. The Solar Bears were awesome and winners in their last year. If you remember, the Magic owners ran the Bears and after winning the Championship in 2002(?) their league, the IHL went under. The existing 2nd Division AHL invited some IHL teams to join but RDV said no thanks. They went out winners and could have stayed for the long haul.

Glad to have hockey back!
RDV said no thanks because he owned the Grand Rapids franchise as well which drew better than the Solar Bears. Let's hope it works out differently this time ...

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
RDV said no thanks because he owned the Grand Rapids franchise as well which drew better than the Solar Bears. Let's hope it works out differently this time ...
I thought it was because he was only allowed 1 AHL team at a time he owned 3 and he lived near the GR Griffins?

In any case, Solar Bears drew decent and were a lot of fun to watch. I hope that is true for this new ECHL team, regardless of their name.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM

156 posts, read 434,022 times
The UCF deal sounds fantastic.

I'm skeptical about minor league Hockey. I'm not sure if there are enough die-hard hockey fans to support it. The casual fans would be far more likely to drive over to Tampa for a lightning game or two.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Hey just saw this, apparently the ECHL and the new Orlando hockey owners are trying to ge the Solar Bears name. Pretty cool.

Latest Status Info

Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Hey just saw this, apparently the ECHL and the new Orlando hockey owners are trying to ge the Solar Bears name. Pretty cool.

Latest Status Info
That's awesome, I really want them to resurrect the Solar Bears name also. A little instant fan loyalty and c'mon, that's a pretty cool name for a sunbelt hockey team.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
I always thought the essence of attending college is to get a great education and prepare for the real world after college. Fun is just a by-product.

As far as being an incredible school, how does it rank academically ?

UCF | University of Central Florida | Best College | US News

We can see that it has a long way to go and most of you will probably be taking your dirt nap if and when it ever cracks the top 50. And since when is the volume of students indicative of how great the school might be ? Maybe they take anyone with a pulse or all of those that couldn't get into FSU, Miami, or UF ...
Whoa, for someone who blatantly spews about how simple minded and "small towny" Orlando is, your view about what's desirable in a University puts you into the same category no..? Perhaps for a person like me UCF was the perfect balance of stuff to do, academics, entertainment, and proximity to a large metro area. I would have gone crazy in a smaller college town where the entire social scene revolves around said University and/or athletics program. At UCF I got a dose of that, and headed to visit friends at UF or FSU if I desired more of it. So yeah while UCF is not top ranked across the board, the program I attended it for was. And yes it does matter if more people choose to spend their money at UCF, they are voting with their wallets how they feel about UCF. I'll wait for all the typical rebuttals, but know that a person like me would never be happy at a traditional school, in a traditional college setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well you joined into the conversation by claiming UCF had no tradition and never will, that's why they're undeserving of a major TV contract like Notre Dame. Tradition usually entails fun, so yes fun is a major part of the equation. And let's be real, the "essence" of college is the experience AND getting an education. Even kids who attend Harvard go because they know they will be surrounded by like minded people who will make their college experience enjoyable and maybe even...fun. UCF may not be top 50 but in the past years they have went from unranked into their current spot. They have their own medical school now and their alumni include state politicians, CEO's, Judges, and other prestigious positions. My friends who attended UCF went on to work for NASA, Fortune 500 companies or start their own successful businesses. Not too shabby for a non elite school.
Yup. Even the growth since I've left has been incredible. New Arena, on campus stadium, more dorm towers, retail and restaurant village, med school, residential buildings at Rosen Campus on Universal Blvd, etc.

Quote:

Latest Status Info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
That's awesome, I really want them to resurrect the Solar Bears name also. A little instant fan loyalty and c'mon, that's a pretty cool name for a sunbelt hockey team.
Getting the Solar Bears name would be key. I purposely ignored the Seals hoping they would go away due to the ridiculous name. I mean no offense to actual seals, but the only seals in Orlando are at Sea World. Now a fictional polar bear that lives in the tropics wearing cool shades, that's a team I could get behind again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...olar_Bears.png

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Whoa, for someone who blatantly spews about how simple minded and "small towny" Orlando is, your view about what's desirable in a University puts you into the same category no..?
Uh, not really. Most people around the world share the view that education is paramount at a university, not splash party fun and hitting the roller coasters when you get bored.

Quote:
Perhaps for a person like me UCF was the perfect balance of stuff to do, academics, entertainment, and proximity to a large metro area. I would have gone crazy in a smaller college town where the entire social scene revolves around said University and/or athletics program. At UCF I got a dose of that, and headed to visit friends at UF or FSU if I desired more of it. So yeah while UCF is not top ranked across the board, the program I attended it for was.
Oh, really ? You wouldn't have gone to Dartmouth if accepted ? Probably not, as partying on Orange Avenue and CityWalk are more important than an education.

So maybe you commuted to UCF so mom could do your laundry and you could have a home-cooked meal ? And as far as small college towns, students get out of town when the bread gets stale. Kinda like you did when you went to UF/FSU to visit. And do tell, what programs at UCF are nationally ranked say in the top 10 in the country ?

Quote:
And yes it does matter if more people choose to spend their money at UCF, they are voting with their wallets how they feel about UCF. I'll wait for all the typical rebuttals, but know that a person like me would never be happy at a traditional school, in a traditional college setting.
It's easy to vote with your wallet when you can't get into any other schools. UCF has a rep around town as the school to go to when you can't get into FSU, UF, or Miami.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Uh, not really. Most people around the world share the view that education is paramount at a university, not splash party fun and hitting the roller coasters when you get bored.
Ha right that explains why countless thousands go to traditional colleges with Greek Row ambitions and end up just barley passing class in between hangovers. Wait that's part of the college experience right? UCF offers a slightly different version of college life for those who don't care for typical collegiate offerings.

Quote:
Oh, really ? You wouldn't have gone to Dartmouth if accepted ? Probably not, as partying on Orange Avenue and CityWalk are more important than an education.
First off I didn't apply, never wanted to leave FL for college. Secondly, I got into every school I applied to and CHOSE UCF because of the program I wanted and how close it was to a major metro vs the other places I could have gone ie: Gainsville and Tally.

Quote:
So maybe you commuted to UCF so mom could do your laundry and you could have a home-cooked meal ? And as far as small college towns, students get out of town when the bread gets stale. Kinda like you did when you went to UF/FSU to visit. And do tell, what programs at UCF are nationally ranked say in the top 10 in the country ?
Ha ha ha ha ha right, shows how much you know about me. I lived at UCF and commuted via longboard to class. As for home cooked meals, could have used a few more of those in school yes. Also I'm sure kids in small college towns get out of town when they are bored, but I (and many others) prefer to LIVE in a bigger town. See I couldn't deal with the day to day life in town revolving around the University. If that works for you great. If you think that's college, great. I totally disagree and apparently so do a lot of people who also CHOOSE UCF over said college towns.

Quote:
It's easy to vote with your wallet when you can't get into any other schools. UCF has a rep around town as the school to go to when you can't get into FSU, UF, or Miami.
Right. Again see the part where I mention how I got into every school I applied to. Oh wait maybe you were referring to everyone else at UCF. Yeah I'm sure that's why they all went there for that reason. So I'll just ask for your source?

Oh and to answer the silliest question of all, UCF's Rosen College of Hospitality Management is one of the best in the country by all measures. The externship opportunities alone are worth it as well as the industry experience of the faculty. The campus is incredible on Universal Blvd and for those who desire to work in this field, this school is hard to beat. Somebody else can fill you in on how the other academics stack up, again I picked the best school I could get into for what I wanted to do. And to think you were trying to make me look like some bum who went to UCF to stay at home because I couldn't make it into any other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando