Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 13,040 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am Italian and I am going to live with my family in Usa next year.
I have to choose between 2 city for my work: Orlando or Iowa City.
Regarding Orlando May you tell me something about safety?
Searching in the web I am a little bit frightened about Orlando crime rates.
Is really so dangerous?
Do you think that Williamsburg and Millenia areas are safe and there are good houses?
Any help for my choice between Orlando and Iowa City are welcomed.
Sorry for these questions but Here in Italy we do not have gangs or areas that you call ghetto and so on, so I would like to have some info from you.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 AM

562 posts, read 1,251,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudehrl2 View Post
Hi,
Is really so dangerous?
Do you think that Williamsburg and Millenia areas are safe and there are good houses?
Sorry for these questions but Here in Italy we do not have gangs or areas that you call ghetto and so on, so I would like to have some info from you.
Thanks
I would say most anyplace in Iowa is safer than Orlando simply because it's more "in the country" and away from metro areas. Having said that, any larger city in the U.S. is going to have its good and bad areas. One just has to pick the right area of town. In Orlando, it seems to be north of the city.

I personally would greatly prefer Orlando to Iowa City. There's far more to do here than there, and the climate is much more temperate. It gets brutally cold in Iowa, and you're going to have to shovel snow and wear triple layers in the winter there, whereas winters in Orlando, one may need a light coat in January. If you're in Iowa, forget the beach, whereas it's only an hour away in Orlando. There's also a major airport here, which generally has much cheaper fares than a smaller place like Iowa City - assuming it even has a major airline servicing it.

Last edited by tricon7; 11-08-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Hi,
Is really so dangerous?
Thanks
I would definitely avoid the Millenia area but Williamsburg is definitely recommended. If you were moving to the US for the long term I would recommend Iowa City as more family-friendly in terms of schools, safety and culture but for one year think it could be a good experience for you to be in Orlando and experience the warmer weather, sun and nearby beaches.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Thank you very much for your answers. I am coming for long term, so I am still deciding between Iowa city and Orlando. Thanks again for your opinions.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 AM

79 posts, read 214,587 times
I would not move to Orlando by choice! I stopped watching the news becasue it was too upsetting. The crime here is crazy! I am originally from MA and even hough we have crime(like everywhere), you are not afraid to walk out your door or to leave your small gated community! Orlando and Iowa are so different it's like comparing apples to bricks. If your young and fearless and want to party...come ot Orlando, if you want to raise a family and have lower ins premiums and live a safer life, move to Iowa. BTW..I live in East Orlando (why..I ask myself that everyday!)

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM

378 posts, read 829,537 times
Orlando, 3rd most dangerous city in the US.
The 11 Most Dangerous Cities - US News and World Report
There are safe areas in all cities, but you sometimes have to leave those to go places like for groceries or Gas. Why stay someplace that raises your chance of becoming a victim?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks again, I am really surprised...I thought Orlando was a safe, sunny and amusing city to take your children...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,548 times
Quote:
Thanks again, I am really surprised...I thought Orlando was a safe, sunny and amusing city to take your children...

Well, I guess the Orlando "marketing machine" is doing its job well!

I guess your choice comes down to what you are looking for. How much entertainment do you need outside the home? Are you looking for cosmopolitan or country?

There are some areas in the metro Orlando area that would be fine for you. Where would your office be located? Could you live up by Lake Mary or Oviedo (in Seminole County)? Just because Orlando has ghettos doesn't mean you are going to live in one.

How much housing budget will your job allow?

I would imagine that Iowa City gets pretty darn cold in the winter. How does that compare to what you are used to? I wonder if you can handle culture shock and weather shock at the same time?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
There are plenty of safe areas in Orlando that are great to raise kids in. Since you're looking at southwest Orlando, you should look at Dr. Phillips and Windermere. Awesome areas with good schools. It can get pricey but there are deals out there.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I am a 30 yo surgeon and I am looking for a place to grow up my children. Reading your posts, I understand that Iowa city is more safe but more country and it does not offer many attractions, while Orlando is more interesting but it has an high crime rate.
It is difficult for me to decide because I really have no idea of what the term of " crime risk" means in USA. Are you talking about violent crimes?
I live in Rome (Italy) and though it is one of the biggest cities in Europe, we have not gangs,ghettos
or problems of violent crimes against persons. One of The worst thing that can happen is an auto theft or someone that Silently takes your wallet from your purse in the subway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando