Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM

36 posts, read 115,681 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

My boyfriend and I moved from Jax to Houston three years ago and are looking to move back to Florida when I graduate with my bachelor's next May. Aside from the usual warning everybody gives ("make sure you have a job before you come!" - yes, I know how bad the job market is), can anybody give us an idea of a good place for us to move to in the Orlando area? We're a bit different from the typical family:

1. We're 39 & 42 years old, with an empty nest. We don't give a darn about the public school districts, and would actually prefer an area that's LESS family friendly; we're too young for the retirement areas, but we would prefer an area that's geared towards adults, though not necessarily the young singles scene. We enjoy karaoke, outdoor recreation (motorcycle touring, hiking, tubing, hanging out at the beach, etc.), flea markets and sightseeing. We are hoping to spend a lot of time at places like Cocoa Beach, Disney/Universal, Wekiwa Springs. We LOVED St. Augustine but don't feel it's worth moving all the way back to Jax for that alone.

2. I'm looking at attending UCF to pursue my Masters degree, so I'd like to be within a reasonable distance from the school (under 1 hr commute).

3. We'd like to have a small plot of land (1/2 - 1 acre) with a modest home or cottage, maybe even a mobile/modular; somewhat wooded, relatively quiet, suburban-to-rural, where our dogs can run and we can hang out in the yard, plant a garden and have late-night get-togethers without bothering our neighbors; nothing like the cutesy cookie-cutter neighborhoods. We'd also prefer to avoid a restrictive HOA that dictates how many flowers you can plant in your garden, or what color your house can be (you get the idea). We're looking for low taxes, low maintenance, low hassle.

I've looked at Christmas, Wedgefield, Bithlo and similar areas situated east of I-4. (My parents have owned a condo in Orange Lakes in Kissimmee for over twenty years, and I know how bad I-4 can get with the parks, so I think we're best to stay on that side of the highway; I also prefer to be near the ocean. I grew up in New Jersey and I feel "landlocked" if I live too far inland!)

I'm concerned some of the more "rural" areas are unkempt, rundown, and just plain dangerous. I don't want be too far off the grid and have to drive 15 miles in the middle of the night if I need something from the CVS, or to wind up buying a place that in ten years no one will want to buy off of me because nobody wants to live there.

Any recommendations? Thanks for your input - don't be afraid to be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrose227 View Post
I'm concerned some of the more "rural" areas are unkempt, rundown, and just plain dangerous. I don't want be too far off the grid and have to drive 15 miles in the middle of the night if I need something from the CVS, or to wind up buying a place that in ten years no one will want to buy off of me because nobody wants to live there.
That's a valid concern as the areas you mention tend to be less desirable in terms of resale and perception of most residents. You might check out DeBary in West Volusia County. Resident don't have to rely on I-4 solely in terms of getting around (US 17-92 is an easy drive) and it has the low density living you're looking for yet with easy access to amenities and a more desirable place to live in terms of residents and ease of resale in my opinion. It's 30 minutes from UCF and features almost all highway speed to/from versus a hundred traffic lights. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Wow. That's a lot of different variables coming all at once lol.

You don't want a "cookie-cutter" subdivision and/or HOAs and want rural possibly mobile home where you can party at night and let your dogs run without disturbing your neighbors but you you are concerned about the rural areas being unkempt and rundown.

I think this falls under the category; ya gotta pick your poison. People who chose cookie cutter type neighborhoods are usually the type who value some kind of order and are rule followers (thus HOA fees). People who value their privacy and freedom usually like the acreage and distance of the rural areas. Unless your a millionaire it is usually hard to find both .

Initially Geneva came to mind for you, but then when you started on the unkempt run down issues I was back to Oviedo, but then you didn't want. . .

Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
I'm thinking Winter park... except that they don't have the mobile homes or the large lots ( that are affordable). It would have the middle aged crowd and lots of access to all the things you like to do. It is also close to UCF.

East Orlando may be another option.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wow. That's a lot of different variables coming all at once lol.

You don't want a "cookie-cutter" subdivision and/or HOAs and want rural possibly mobile home where you can party at night and let your dogs run without disturbing your neighbors but you you are concerned about the rural areas being unkempt and rundown.

I think this falls under the category; ya gotta pick your poison. People who chose cookie cutter type neighborhoods are usually the type who value some kind of order and are rule followers (thus HOA fees). People who value their privacy and freedom usually like the acreage and distance of the rural areas. Unless your a millionaire it is usually hard to find both .

Initially Geneva came to mind for you, but then when you started on the unkempt run down issues I was back to Oviedo, but then you didn't want. . .
I thought of Geneva too. Sanford has some outlying suburbs. And, there are parts of Sorrento.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
You need to do your homework before buying "in the country" or anywhere where you could have neighbors shooting guns. FL law recently changed and anyone can shoot on their own land. (as close to an occupied home as they want)

This issue is just coming to the forefront here and there have been some cases in the news where someone owns land that backs up to the neighborhod and now that landowner is shooting and the subdivision residents are freaking out. Personally, I lived that exact scenerio recently and sold my home to escape the non-stop WWIII - like noise.

I would be very, very careful for this reason. Also, some of the rural areas might have trucks revving and dogs running loose. You need to check it out and talk to the neighbors. Ask if anyone shoots guns, makes excessive noise, etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 PM

79 posts, read 214,825 times
East Orlando/Waterford Lakes area

Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
You need to do your homework before buying "in the country" or anywhere where you could have neighbors shooting guns. FL law recently changed and anyone can shoot on their own land. (as close to an occupied home as they want)

This issue is just coming to the forefront here and there have been some cases in the news where someone owns land that backs up to the neighborhod and now that landowner is shooting and the subdivision residents are freaking out. Personally, I lived that exact scenerio recently and sold my home to escape the non-stop WWIII - like noise.

I would be very, very careful for this reason. Also, some of the rural areas might have trucks revving and dogs running loose. You need to check it out and talk to the neighbors. Ask if anyone shoots guns, makes excessive noise, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then, that is going to rule out virtually all rural or semi-suburban areas in most of the country. Up here in NH, you can do almost anything you want (though there is a 300-foot limit from being next to an occupied residence to shoot a gun, however). But hunters are allowed to used high-powered rifles, so that rule is irrelevant.
You need to be a realist.. there are way more legally-owned guns in this country than there are people... this is a fact of life.
But you did the right thing; if you don't like what is around you, move. Same logic applies to people who buy houses next to major highways, large industrial facilities, and other sources of what they consider 'annoyances'.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
I didn't know about the man shooting guns back there when we bought the house. Then, on top of that surprise, the FL law changed so that our county ordinance (no shooting within 150 yards of an occupied house) was thrown out.

So I was left with a man shooting high powered rifles (30-06's that sound like a cannon) just 200 FEET from my son's bed. I can't live like that. My home was in a subdivision, in the city limits. However, none of that matters with the new law.

I'm just trying to save someone the same horror that I went through (and my young children too). It was stressful, scary, and very, very expensive to sell so soon after buying!

And no, I'm not some kind of anti-gun nut. We have a safe full of guns sitting right behind me. I've shot my .38 at ranges plenty of times. However, I have never heard anything as loud as that 30-06 (I learned all about it as a result of this nightmare), and I have never had to live with such excessive noise inside of my own home, at all days and hours. You never knew when a shot was going to ring out. Watching my son playing in the yard and then running to me with his eyes wide with terror one day after the shooting suddenlly started was the last straw!!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I didn't know about the man shooting guns back there when we bought the house. Then, on top of that surprise, the FL law changed so that our county ordinance (no shooting within 150 yards of an occupied house) was thrown out.

So I was left with a man shooting high powered rifles (30-06's that sound like a cannon) just 200 FEET from my son's bed. I can't live like that. My home was in a subdivision, in the city limits. However, none of that matters with the new law.

I'm just trying to save someone the same horror that I went through (and my young children too). It was stressful, scary, and very, very expensive to sell so soon after buying!

And no, I'm not some kind of anti-gun nut. We have a safe full of guns sitting right behind me. I've shot my .38 at ranges plenty of times. However, I have never heard anything as loud as that 30-06 (I learned all about it as a result of this nightmare), and I have never had to live with such excessive noise inside of my own home, at all days and hours. You never knew when a shot was going to ring out. Watching my son playing in the yard and then running to me with his eyes wide with terror one day after the shooting suddenlly started was the last straw!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be surprised if there were not some noise ordinances against things like that.... (that you could have enforced). But I don't know FL law...
Even up here in 'Live Free or Die' land, the minimum is 300 feet, and rifles are restricted for hunting/shooting in only certain areas. (Though I hear the shotguns during hunting season all over the place).

I understand and sympathize with your situation.
(As an aside, and it doesn't matter at all, but a .50BMG rifle or a 20mm shell makes the 30.06 sound really quiet ;-) I understand the concern for you and your son, and I don't understand how they can pass laws like that. Though it also shocked me that you can keep a loaded handgun in your car's glovebox in FL. Personally, I think your neighbor shooter was way out of line by showing no respect for those who live around him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando