Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 54,758 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

We live in Boston and we are thinking to move in Tampa or Orlando. My wife and I are in our 30s. My employer will transfer me to Florida. Tampa and Orlando are the options that they gave us. The important thing for us is safety and nice enviremant to live and raise our kids. Which one do you suggest, Tampa or Orlando?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:08 PM

72 posts, read 177,466 times
I like Orlando. Having said that It's not that Tampa is a bad place to live, just feels like Orlando is more of an up and coming city. There is always somthing going on the only downfall is the lack of pro sports as we only have the Magic and the NBA is locked out. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that the best way to tell is to come down and visit both city's and form your own opinion. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
If what you listed is your only concern, you can find those things in both places. It's more about what city you personally prefer. I prefer Orlando by far.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
This topic has been addressed numerous times already. Do a quick search and you'll find multiple informative threads. I prefer Orlando. The two cities are very similar but have completely different vibes. Orlando is just my vibe.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:03 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromN View Post
Hi Guys,

We live in Boston and we are thinking to move in Tampa or Orlando. My wife and I are in our 30s. My employer will transfer me to Florida. Tampa and Orlando are the options that they gave us. The important thing for us is safety and nice enviremant to live and raise our kids. Which one do you suggest, Tampa or Orlando?

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
Tampa (and neighboring St Petersburg) is much larger, as a result has more going on and is more cosmopolitan than Orlando...which might translate better for those coming from someplace like Boston. Tampa also has more of a feel of living in Florida due to it's coastal location versus being inland like Orlando which geographically can pass for being most anywhere in the Deep South. I would definitely recommend a visit and when visiting both cities ignore the tourist aspects of living here and instead focus on what you/your family would actually do each day in real life.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Tampa (and neighboring St Petersburg) is much larger, as a result has more going on and is more cosmopolitan than Orlando...which might translate better for those coming from someplace like Boston. Tampa also has more of a feel of living in Florida due to it's coastal location versus being inland like Orlando which geographically can pass for being most anywhere in the Deep South. I would definitely recommend a visit and when visiting both cities ignore the tourist aspects of living here and instead focus on what you/your family would actually do each day in real life.
This is a very inaccurate post. While I do understand the differences of an inland city in Florida versus a coastal one, I simply cannot agree that the geography of the Orlando area is all that similar to the rest of the deep south. Sure the swamps and oak canopies of CFL are similar to Louisiana's bayous and the low country of SC/GA, but the similarities end there.

Also, the Tampa metro has a whole 600k more people than Orlando metro, not exactly what I'd call "much larger". Larger sure, but really a stretch to say that Tampa/St. Pete has more going on and is more cosmopolitan than Orlando. I like Tampa and feel our slightly bigger neighbor to the SW catches a lot of undeserved flack on these boards, but I think it's highly debatable as to which city offers more.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This is a very inaccurate post. While I do understand the differences of an inland city in Florida versus a coastal one, I simply cannot agree that the geography of the Orlando area is all that similar to the rest of the deep south. Sure the swamps and oak canopies of CFL are similar to Louisiana's bayous and the low country of SC/GA, but the similarities end there.

Also, the Tampa metro has a whole 600k more people than Orlando metro, not exactly what I'd call "much larger". Larger sure, but really a stretch to say that Tampa/St. Pete has more going on and is more cosmopolitan than Orlando. I like Tampa and feel our slightly bigger neighbor to the SW catches a lot of undeserved flack on these boards, but I think it's highly debatable as to which city offers more.
Do you work for the Chamber of Commerce? I mean really.

You stated that you agree to the similarities between Central Florida's geography and that of GA/SC/LA but then go on to say it's different...

Also a 600K difference is huge at the size of metro areas we're comparing as it's not NYC versus Chicago. Also bear in mind that within Tampa's city limits reside close to 335,000 residents versus Orlando's 230,000. In addition, Tampa has St Petersburg adjoining which offers up another 248,000 (still larger than Orlando by the way). Like it or not, concentrations of population offer up more to do and cosmopolitan characteristics that suburban sprawl metro areas like Orlando cannot duplicate.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

There is no doubt that The city/metro areas of Tampa are larger at 4 million to orlando's 2.1 million. But having a larger population is not always the answer to having a better city. In a large metro area there are a few things that you expect such as public transit, large venues, museums, higher education, etc. Orlando offers most of this and if we don't we are in the process if building it. Such as the new dr. Phillips PAC, and Sun rail, etc. The only way I can describe living in Orlando is it is like starting at a young company and watching it grow around you it is a very exciting time to live in cfl and many great things are in the works.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 54,758 times
When we search about Orlando, high crime rate is the first thing comes up and it really scares us. Is most of Orlando dangerous? There is no safe neighbor?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Yes there is crime just like any other city, but as long as u avoid the gettos and your not a crack dealer you will be safe. I feel very safe living in Orlando as do all of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando