Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times

Advertisements

I love to bird-watch, and I'm curious as to the different types of "interesting" birds to be found in Orlando. I can see crows, mockingbirds, and bluejays anywhere, but what's special in Orlando? I know bald eagles, ospreys, and assorted hawks are present. Anything else good? Are anhingas around, and if so, how prevalent are they?

I used to live in Jacksonville, and by the Intercoastal Waterway I had seen roseate spoonbills, and I swear I once saw a small flock of flamingos fly overhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
If you're willing to make the trip, Cape Coral in Lee County has burrowing owls. I think they're the only species of predatory birds that live underground. They can be found pretty easily there. Cute little guys but they'll attack you in heart beat if you get too close to the babies.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
A massive Owl landed on my fence the other day.

I've seen Bald Eagles in Bellalago in Kissimmee a couple times.

red headed woodpeckers

I personally love the Sand Cranes.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Sandhill Cranes are beautiful. I love the herons- both blue and white although I don't think they're specific to Florida.

White ibis are an interesting sight, too! Anhingas are very common as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM

193 posts, read 623,955 times
Typical water-fowl like anhingas, several species of herons, egrets and sandhill cranes can be seen just about anywhere. Small songbirds are more prevalent in the winter months during migration, such as Eastern Bluebirds.

There are parks that have viewing areas for wildlife also:
Tibet-Butler Preserve
Orange County Parks and Recreation will have a list. The Tibet -Butler Preserve is on the Great Florida Birding Trail.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
I'd love to see some wild sandhill cranes. The only time I ever saw any outside a zoo was in Titusville, wandering around on the side of the highway.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Best bird experience EVER. My cousin and I were driving to the local grocery store and we see a hawk with what appears to be two lil furballs in his claws being attacked by 2 much smaller mockingbirds. Eventually, the mockingbirds force the Hawk to land in the middle of the street and than we realize he has two chicks in his talons. Than all of the sudden the hawk flies away and we, although sad for the mockingbirds, continue to the store. Shortly after that on the way back, at the same intersection, we see a little furball in the middle of the road. It appears one of the little chicks got away during the skirmish. It's a tiny lil guy, just sitting in the middle of the road, nowhere near old enough to fly away or fend for itself. My cousin and I agree that we can leave the poor lil guy alone...we'll try to rescue him. I'm driving so my cousin gets out and goes to retrieve the lil guy. Just as he approaches the lil guy starts to hop away....THAN....out of nowhere, before any of us knew what was going on the Mama Mockingbird DIVE BOMBS my cousin outta nowhere. My Cousin (a gymrat with more than enough muscles) screams like a lil girl and starts swiping at air as fighting an invisible enemy. He retreats back to the car faster than Usain Bolt. To his surprise, I somehow came up with the fear that this minute bird is somehow gonna penetrate my car so I've already locked the door. He running around the car, I'm yelling at him to bob and weave, and the whole thing looks like a scene straight out of a comedy. Eventually, he gets back in the car, the chick hops onto the sidewalk, he vows never to try to be Steve Irwin again and we decide to leave well enough alone. Moral of the story, don't mess with a Mama Mockingbird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando