Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
I suppose you have never flown anywhere either? You would have the same options once you land.

Or of course, and this is a huge leap of faith, you have friends or family that pick you up when you arrive.
Snark gets you nowhere.

Flying & what amounts to an upscale 'Greyhound' experience cannot be compared, so don't bother trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM

206 posts, read 412,846 times
That might be true, but it has nothing to do with your point of what options you have once you get off the mode.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM

206 posts, read 412,846 times
I wanted to go back and add something because it was bugging me since I posted and ran off to work.

And "upscale greyhound" experience actually seems a lot nicer than a plane experience. Granted, the miles gained for your time are not competitive, but the actual experience, seems a lot better. I say "seems" because I haven't riden any of these luxury bus lines - but I have flown in an airplane. The coach experience is fairly miserable compared to what the interior photos of these buses look like. First class is much more comparable, but then you really have to look at pricing and for a trip from say, Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, the time savings are probably not much different when you factor in the security and check-in process, time on the tarmac, deboarding time and possibly luggage retrieval, etc etc.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,287,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
I wanted to go back and add something because it was bugging me since I posted and ran off to work.

And "upscale greyhound" experience actually seems a lot nicer than a plane experience. Granted, the miles gained for your time are not competitive, but the actual experience, seems a lot better. I say "seems" because I haven't riden any of these luxury bus lines - but I have flown in an airplane. The coach experience is fairly miserable compared to what the interior photos of these buses look like. First class is much more comparable, but then you really have to look at pricing and for a trip from say, Orlando to Fort Lauderdale, the time savings are probably not much different when you factor in the security and check-in process, time on the tarmac, deboarding time and possibly luggage retrieval, etc etc.
That's exactly what I'm talking about Steve. Am the only one who dislikes what air travel has become? Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a bus or train to Vegas or Chicago anytime soon. But for a short to mid range trip, give me a bus or train option anyday. I've taken the Amtrak and buses from Boston to NYC and DC and it was a FAR better experience than flying. No waiting in mile long lines to check in, than another line for security, taking off my shoes, getting re-dressed, fighting for overhead storage room and finally sitting cramped in the seat with stale air, crying babies and people with bad breathe. Granted the Boston to DC route is longer by train but the first time I took it was because I waited too late to book an plane ticket so I settled on the Accela which was cheaper. I went to South Station in Boston less than an hour before departure time, checked in myself and my bags in no time, boarded the train easily, grab my own row for the first half of the trip, sat with my legs outstretched studying and watching DVD's which was possible because of the abundance of power outlets. No "excuse me, excuse me" everytime I needed to used the restroom, just got up and went. When my legs cramped I walked around. When I got thirsty or hungry I went to the cab car and grabbed a bite or a drink. When I finally got to DC I was much more relaxed and refreshed than my flights have been. I left Boston early morning and arrived in DC in the evening. No I admit after that I still thought to myself "Don't know if I'll do this again because if you buy flights early enough it is cheaper." But than all of the sudden even the "discount" carriers started charging for each and every little thing. Now the price and hassle of flying has become too much for me to bare at time. Please give me a train to take to Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Charlotte, DC etc. I'm so tired of the airlines and the tsa trying to rape me at the same time.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:32 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,997 times
I've seen these fools leaving Lynx Central in the mornings. Pretty damn cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando