Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I actually live in West Sanford in the house my parents had lived in since 1980 and there has never been a break-in or such in this neighborhood since it was built (1979-1981). The same or similar goes for subdivisions around me (along 46-A near Mayfair Country Club). Sanford is sprawling and the areas you speak of are nowhere near me, as they are primarily on the east and south sides.
I just commented that Sanford, like Winter Garden/Ocoee has some sketchy areas. Crime, drugs, and the like. Not all of Sanford but there are definitely seedy parts.

The downtown area is nice and I love the way they do it up at Christmas time. Just as I adore downtown Winter Garden with all the shops and eateries, the West

Orange bicycle trail goes through it. And they have a lovely farmers market etc. They also decorate beautifully for the season.

That said, both cities have some bad parts and in all fairness to a possible transplant they should be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,931 times
The OP is referring to recently published data--I just can't remember where I saw it recently. I believe it had to be in USA Today, but I'm not positive. We were in Atlanta 3 weeks ago and I read it while in our hotel one evening. I distinctly remember the article because it stated that places you would expect to be on the list--like New York, Detroit, LA--did not even make the top 10. I don't recall that Orlando was #3, but it was definitely listed in the top 10. I'm kind of thinking St. Louis was listed as #1 and Atlanta was listed as #2-which I didn't bother to mention to hubby as I know how much credit I put into Orlando's ranking.

I have lived here for 10 years. I was born in Chicago and you will never convince me that there is more violent crime in Orlando than on the south side of Chicago. At least when I am in a "not-so-great" area of Orlando, I can be out of it within a few minutes. If you are in a not so great area in Chicago, New York, or LA--you can be in a not so great area for a good while. I haven't been to Gary, IN or East St. Louis in many years-but it used to be that those cities were cities you wanted to avoid entirely.

I don't think there is an urgent need to pack up the entire family and run away from Orlando as fast as possible. Most of Orlando is probably safe to very safe. Petty crime can and will happen anywhere. Just be smart about your surroundings and take reasonable precautions to be safe. Don't drown yourself in fear of expecting what may never come...

Orlando was ranked worse than Miami....and Tampa didn't even make the list. The article I read was only a quick overview and did not list the criteria measured.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:12 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Orlando has not been in the top anything for dangerous except getting hit by a car. Orlando is not number three. I just looked at two links today at the most dangerous U.s. cities. Detroit,Memphis,FLINT are the top three on both. One source was forbes, the other was morgin quinto or something. ANyhow

I dislike Orlando for reasons, but I will say it's a fine city to live in. The most danger comes from doing something stupid, like wearing something flashy or leaving something in braod view no matter what side of town your on, or involved in some drugs ish. Most of our crimes are NOT random, their retaliation or product/person of interest i.e. flashy/showing off.

Most areas are safe with dimmings in office.

I live in a crime ridden area (Texas Ave/ Americana/ Oak Ridge) so I know first hand that Orlando as a whole is safe, as we are not technically city limits.

Your more likely to get robbed as a tourist than a resident. Just being honest.

Hotspot areas are
Texas Ave 32839
Oak Ridge 32839/32809
Americana/OBT/RioGrande 32839/32805

Just avoid the entire 32805/32811 area code in general.

Parramore
The Numbered Streets
West of Downtown
Kirkman Hiawassee
Pine Hills
Some areas in eat orlando but like everyone else said these are the areas to avoid.

I live in one of these areas and travel through the city, never had a problem. I've seen people get murdered, robbed, gun pulled etc. but again it's more about your character here. If your chill and relaxed no matter your skin color you'll be ok, but if you **** people off your likely asking for trouble.

Remember Orlando made the most angriest city list, so people here find a reason to do things quick. Overall I take lynx or dive wherever and I'm mostly comfortable. Only uncomfortable driving because idiots from other states are careless.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
The OP is referring to recently published data--I just can't remember where I saw it recently. I believe it had to be in USA Today, but I'm not positive. We were in Atlanta 3 weeks ago and I read it while in our hotel one evening. I distinctly remember the article because it stated that places you would expect to be on the list--like New York, Detroit, LA--did not even make the top 10. I don't recall that Orlando was #3, but it was definitely listed in the top 10. I'm kind of thinking St. Louis was listed as #1 and Atlanta was listed as #2-which I didn't bother to mention to hubby as I know how much credit I put into Orlando's ranking.

I have lived here for 10 years. I was born in Chicago and you will never convince me that there is more violent crime in Orlando than on the south side of Chicago. At least when I am in a "not-so-great" area of Orlando, I can be out of it within a few minutes. If you are in a not so great area in Chicago, New York, or LA--you can be in a not so great area for a good while. I haven't been to Gary, IN or East St. Louis in many years-but it used to be that those cities were cities you wanted to avoid entirely.

I don't think there is an urgent need to pack up the entire family and run away from Orlando as fast as possible. Most of Orlando is probably safe to very safe. Petty crime can and will happen anywhere. Just be smart about your surroundings and take reasonable precautions to be safe. Don't drown yourself in fear of expecting what may never come...

Orlando was ranked worse than Miami....and Tampa didn't even make the list. The article I read was only a quick overview and did not list the criteria measured.

This is true for most of Floridas cities crime. It appears your not in it for a while which makes crime here "concentrated" and not random as I was saying.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,931 times
Default Scratching my head on this one

Did I miss something here? Not sure what someone is making a point of, but I thought this was where I should post a response to the OP based on his/her concerns. I also thought this was a forum where any & all could post their beliefs & opinions.

No one else has mentioned the study OP read somewhere naming Orlando #3 as "The Most Dangerous Cities In America". I knew I had just recently read this so I knew he had seen it somewhere also. Everyone seemed to be disputing his claim. A simple act of googling his claim led me to my answer.

On 10/11/11 some real estate blog listed "The Most Dangerous Cities in America" They have listed Orlando, FL as being #3--tied with Birmingham, AL. St. Louis is listed at #1 and Atlanta is at #2.

As I do not read blogs and haven't had time to be on the net too much lately, I knew I read this in some printed information-most likely a newspaper.

My post had nothing to do with crime being concentrated. Nor did it address anyone except the OP. If I knew how to put the link to this info on here, I would do it. Since i don't, please google the topic for yourself. It does come up on the 1st page of results-at least for me it did.

So, to the OP, you did read a very recent article dealing with this subject. No, what you read is not "old" news. But having lived here for years now, I dispute the findings--at least as far as the impact on the citizens of Orlando.

I didn't bother to look any further for this information and find out sources, statistics, and all the other data considered. No reason to. The data has no relevance to me. It's another dime a dozen result which is subject to numerous variables that will change tomorrow. BUT, the OP did indeed read it somewhere and it DID give him/her the wrong impression of Orlando-IMHO...

I can't even find the post on this thread that someone is referring to when they state that's what they mean about concentrated??????? On my computer beckycat is the only person who mentions "concentrated"--NOT the person whom is red-lining me

Red is just such a screaming, loud color.... please?

Last edited by itsajourney; 11-22-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Just another example of skewing statistics to bend the truth. I will be the first the admit we have real crime here...REAL CRIME....this is not a fantasy playland. But we are far from LA, NYC, Detroit, Baltimore, Philly, etc. If you really think you're more likely to be a crime victim in Central Florida than these other places...you are very sadly mistaken. At the same time, you are not very likely to be a crime a victim in Manhattan, the National Mall or historic Philly. If you don't go looking for trouble in any city, it's less likely to find you.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
Did I miss something here? Not sure what someone is making a point of, but I thought this was where I should post a response to the OP based on his/her concerns. I also thought this was a forum where any & all could post their beliefs & opinions.
I think that poster was actually agreeing with you... not sure why you're getting upset

Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times
I grew up in Orlando been awhile but to my understanding Orlando ain't as bad as where I'm living now in my opinion.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I think that poster was actually agreeing with you... not sure why you're getting upset

I was, thats kinda what I missed as well

Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:

No one else has mentioned the study OP read somewhere naming Orlando #3 as "The Most Dangerous Cities In America". I knew I had just recently read this so I knew he had seen it somewhere also. Everyone seemed to be disputing his claim. A simple act of googling his claim led me to my answer.

On 10/11/11 some real estate blog listed "The Most Dangerous Cities in America" They have listed Orlando, FL as being #3--tied with Birmingham, AL. St. Louis is listed at #1 and Atlanta is at #2.

As I do not read blogs and haven't had time to be on the net too much lately, I knew I read this in some printed information-most likely a newspaper.

My post had nothing to do with crime being concentrated. Nor did it address anyone except the OP. If I knew how to put the link to this info on here, I would do it. Since i don't, please google the topic for yourself. It does come up on the 1st page of results-at least for me it did.

So, to the OP, you did read a very recent article dealing with this subject. No, what you read is not "old" news. But having lived here for years now, I dispute the findings--at least as far as the impact on the citizens of Orlando.

I didn't bother to look any further for this information and find out sources, statistics, and all the other data considered. No reason to. The data has no relevance to me. It's another dime a dozen result which is subject to numerous variables that will change tomorrow. BUT, the OP did indeed read it somewhere and it DID give him/her the wrong impression of Orlando-IMHO...

I can't even find the post on this thread that someone is referring to when they state that's what they mean about concentrated??????? On my computer beckycat is the only person who mentions "concentrated"--NOT the person whom is red-lining me

Red is just such a screaming, loud color.... please?

It was an agreement with what you said in your posts about crime not being through the entire city. My post right above yours gave a lists of areas and zip codes demonstrating the "concentrated" areas here in western Orange County. I didn't say "Concentrated" in my original posts but my list of areas suggested that, so I reiterated that in my agreement with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando