Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:45 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times

Advertisements

I Have experienced being robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte, and had a knife to my face in downtown Orlando, and have been in "various" road rage incedents in the Orlando area and 2 fights in traffic along with these road rage incedents.....welll even after being through all of that living in the suburban areas of Orlando...i still believe that there are plenty of nice and safe areas to drive around in or live in...I have driven down OBT and Paramore a bunch of times and i saw a group of dogs running a train on each other down Paramore ave after leaving a magic game ....lol....and a crack head tryed to come up and ask me something but it was simple ...as soon as i saw him i drove off through the red light.....ive seen this kind of stuff in all cities ive lived in though and learned to just drive around the problem when you are where you dont know anybody.......its all about who u know in these areas really .........imagine if you actually had family in a place that you "fear" now

would u still visit?

well i lived in both areas for a lil while and have been in the Orlando area over 7 years now and have seen things happen but its not overall a bad city...you just cant be oblivious if you live here just like in any other city..ive lived alot of places and i love living in Orlando...there is a crime issue in Pine Hills and Off of Kirkman...but most likeley if you dont stare at people hard or open your mouth when you are in the wrong group of people then you wont experience the fear of crime that those in Pine Hills or any other ghetto area has to offer.....who still thinks Orlando is worse than any other city in thier growing pains and in "thier" highest point in crime?

I hear all these people saying that Altamonte and Goldenrod and other areas are "terrible"...well i lived in these areas and i did see cops around and ambulances but it doesnt affect you personally unless you are a family member or friend of those that are involved in a shooting or robbery or whatever else the ambulance/police was there for when you saw it, so dont be oblivious but also dont think Orlando is terrible in the parts such as Altamonte and Maitland and the Semoran Area or AROUND Mall of Millinea......The only place to stay away from is really Pine Hills unless youve had experience in the ghetto somewhere else....if you are a "white american" that is still bamboozaled by the hip-hop era then stay away from Orlando completly because you just havent lived in a major urban area before and dont know tha problems in "any" city...

who disagrees?

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 07-21-2007 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 AM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,687 times
"....if you are a "white american" that is still bamboozaled by the hip-hop era then stay away from Orlando completly because you just havent lived in a major urban area before and dont know tha problems in "any" city..."

I'm white and I've lived in two cities that are larger than Orlando (Dallas and Washington, D.C.). Yes, both of these cities have crime problems but they generally occur in specific areas of the city. In North Dallas you don't run into that "ghetto element," and there are areas of D.C. (Georgetown/Foggy Bottom) that are the same. That ghetto element infiltrates all areas of Orlando.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:33 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times
Its just a part of life no matter where you live, survival of the fittest and use your instincts at all times. It doesn't matter if you live in a small town or a big city. My feeling is most of the "terrified" people who post here were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. That's my 2 cents and I'm white and I loved the hip hop era!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 AM
ARC

Well, I'm not 'terrified,' but I do take precautions now that I never did while living in Big D or DC. I carry mace on my keychain now b/c I've been approached in parking lots more than once by less than desirable characters (in 'good' neighborhoods).

I was not born with a 'silver spoon' in my mouth - hardly! I came from a lower middle class background and had to put myself through college (worked full-time and graduated with honors). So no silver spoon here. I think it's a 'class' issue - the low class mentality (which usually includes the lack of ambition to better oneself - including getting an education). That's the 'ghetto' attitude and it includes all races. I just see more of that 'tude in Orlando. So if this is 'survival of the fittest' I have to laugh. I guess in Orlando it's the law of the jungle not surviving by bettering yourself, getting an education - getting a better job - so you don't have to live the 'law of the jungle.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Its just a part of life no matter where you live, survival of the fittest and use your instincts at all times. It doesn't matter if you live in a small town or a big city. My feeling is most of the "terrified" people who post here were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. That's my 2 cents and I'm white and I loved the hip hop era!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Orlando isnt "all" ghetto.....the suburbs out here just have alot more middle/lower middle class people ........ i am not afraid in Altamonte, Cassleberry, Maitland, Winter Park, or anywhere else that is a suburb........yeah stuff happens sometimes but it happens like that everywhere in all cities that have a mix of different people........

I live in a nice part of town right now and being from Miami i know that i should look around while pumping gas and should see what kinda cars are parked in front of a gas station before i go in and i dont carry "all" my money in my wallet......ill put some in my sock just in case, but yeah if you think the places i just mentioned are overall bad and are making Orlando the place that the Guardian Angels came down to protect then i would say you were probably sheltered throughout your life.......i got robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte but i still dont think its a bad area at all......

they have a small neighborhood over by cassleberry which is ghetto by the 1,2,3 club ....but "most" of altamonte is really safe.....Altamonte has a nice new downtown area and a great park with a lake that people jog or walk around...its really clean out there.....even those places off of wymore road that people say are scary.....arent really that bad...its just middle class people.......murders dont happen out there constantly if at all....maybe 2 or 3 a year for the whole city of altamonte but that isnt bad unless you have a family member that was the victim.....why would Altamonte have all those resturants and shops and nice parks and congo river mini golf if it was the ghetto?

Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 PM
ARC

You are right that all of Orlando is not ghetto. However, I think that bad areas are typically very close to middle/upper middle class neighborhoods. From my observation in other cities the really "bad" areas are in one specific area of the city and usually away from the nicer areas. It seems that in Orlando you only have to drive a few miles to be in a bad area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Orlando isnt "all" ghetto.....the suburbs out here just have alot more middle/lower middle class people ........ i am not afraid in Altamonte, Cassleberry, Maitland, Winter Park, or anywhere else that is a suburb........yeah stuff happens sometimes but it happens like that everywhere in all cities that have a mix of different people........

I live in a nice part of town right now and being from Miami i know that i should look around while pumping gas and should see what kinda cars are parked in front of a gas station before i go in and i dont carry "all" my money in my wallet......ill put some in my sock just in case, but yeah if you think the places i just mentioned are overall bad and are making Orlando the place that the Guardian Angels came down to protect then i would say you were probably sheltered throughout your life.......i got robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte but i still dont think its a bad area at all......

they have a small neighborhood over by cassleberry which is ghetto by the 1,2,3 club ....but "most" of altamonte is really safe.....Altamonte has a nice new downtown area and a great park with a lake that people jog or walk around...its really clean out there.....even those places off of wymore road that people say are scary.....arent really that bad...its just middle class people.......murders dont happen out there constantly if at all....maybe 2 or 3 a year for the whole city of altamonte but that isnt bad unless you have a family member that was the victim.....why would Altamonte have all those resturants and shops and nice parks and congo river mini golf if it was the ghetto?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 AM

30 posts, read 150,170 times
"I Have experienced being robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte, and had a knife to my face in downtown Orlando, and have been in "various" road rage incedents in the Orlando area and 2 fights in traffic along with these road rage incedents.....welll even after being through all of that living in the suburban areas of Orlando...i still believe that there are plenty of nice and safe areas to drive around in or live in...I have driven down OBT and Paramore a bunch of times and i saw a group of dogs running a train on each other down Paramore ave after leaving a magic game ....lol....and a crack head tryed to come up and ask me something but it was simple ...as soon as i saw him i drove off through the red light....."

So what do you call a, "bad", place, lol.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia1354 View Post
"I Have experienced being robbed at gunpoint in Altamonte, and had a knife to my face in downtown Orlando, and have been in "various" road rage incedents in the Orlando area and 2 fights in traffic along with these road rage incedents.....welll even after being through all of that living in the suburban areas of Orlando...i still believe that there are plenty of nice and safe areas to drive around in or live in...I have driven down OBT and Paramore a bunch of times and i saw a group of dogs running a train on each other down Paramore ave after leaving a magic game ....lol....and a crack head tryed to come up and ask me something but it was simple ...as soon as i saw him i drove off through the red light....."

So what do you call a, "bad", place, lol.

guess it depends on where you grew up as a kid ....... i think too many people fear a certain area of town as if the whole population is like zombies that will get you when you enter it......things happen everywhere and even being robbed in Altamonte......i dont fear going out to eat over there......there arent crackheads on the streets of Altamonte looking to bother you for money every other corner......and when was the last drive-by shooting you heard of in Altamonte?.....i was just unlucky and tryed to be generous to some guy who asked for a cigarette and since i didnt smoke i offered him some pocket change and he pulled a gun.....and took all i had on me...but i was poor so it wasnt that much anyway.....i only had a bag of cheetos about 5 bucks and a lottery ticket....i tryed to give my car keys (my moms car) and he didnt want to steal a car i guess......he was just out there trying to get money from random people with his gun i guess....but it was scary but the area isnt scary.....its a nice town

Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 PM

I would consider a bad place somewhere that you live that you go home and there is no air conditioner working a pack of batteries in the fridge and roaches keep coming in....and you can hear gunfire out the window every couple days ......if you dont live like that then you cant really say how bad things are

Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Quote:
I would consider a bad place somewhere that you live that you go home and there is no air conditioner working a pack of batteries in the fridge and roaches keep coming in....and you can hear gunfire out the window every couple days ......if you dont live like that then you cant really say how bad things are
I would agree with most of the above. I just don't get that "packof batteries in the firdge" thing????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando