Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I too have similar experiences and though I don't love Orlando I don't hate it either. It's not for everyone and moving here out of necessity versus choice makes it difficult for many, just like anywhere else that wasn't a choice in terms of moving. One has to try to make the best of it until opportunity comes along to make a change. Until then I suggest those who are disenfranchised from what they're used to work in a positive fashion to make this a better place to live. Example, I personally really miss locally-produced vegetables, cheese and free-range/pastured meats. Unfortunately farmers markets here are largely a fraud and not what one would find elsewhere in the country so grocery stores and specialty stores are the only viable option most of the time. I've made it a mission to be a consumer who asks for locally-produced items repeatedly at stores in hopes that sooner or later it'll start to happen. The larger Publix near me has expanded their Greenmarket meat offerings since I've been such a pain in the arse about it, so I'm assuming I'm at least partly responsible. If others like myself don't like it here because one of those quality of life factors is missing, one can ultimately influence change.
Orlando has a booming local food scene and even a homegrown Co-Op where obviously only local foods are sold. Might be an idea for you based on what you said in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Orlando has a booming local food scene and even a homegrown Co-Op where obviously only local foods are sold. Might be an idea for you based on what you said in this post.
Thanks! I'll check out the Co-op though can you elaborate on the local food scene? As mentioned farmers markets here are largely a fraud with fake farmers and very little local produce.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,732 times
I don't know why people say FL Mall is "ghetto". It's a really big 1story mall and has pretty much every retail name. I found it better than Millenia. Millenia looks better to the eye on the outside but FL mall has better stores. They do need to re-do the outside of FL mall though and not just one side like they did where Zara and H&M are and change those weird speedbumps...

Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks! I'll check out the Co-op though can you elaborate on the local food scene? As mentioned farmers markets here are largely a fraud with fake farmers and very little local produce.
I totally agree, MOST of the farmer's markets are scams. Here's a link to the Co-op and some other sources of info on the local food movement in Orlando. Also I believe the Monday night Audubon Park Market is the only true local farmer's market.

Edible Orlando
eatlocalweek.com
Untitled Document
Homegrown | Central Florida's Local Food Cooperative
Lake Meadow Naturals | No growth hormones or antibiotics and vegeterian fed
Home Page
About us
Green Flamingo Organics | sustainable farming in oak hill, fl
Heart Of Christmas Farms
Orlando Brewing
Wild Ocean Seafood Market

Plus many more...Hope this helps Kyle!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I don't know why people say FL Mall is "ghetto". It's a really big 1story mall and has pretty much every retail name. I found it better than Millenia. Millenia looks better to the eye on the outside but FL mall has better stores. They do need to re-do the outside of FL mall though and not just one side like they did where Zara and H&M are and change those weird speedbumps...
Probably because you have to drive down OBT to get to FL Mall whereas Millenia, although neighboring some rough areas, is right off of I-4. Also, FL Mall is not nearly as new and sparkling as Millenia, but I agree, FL Mall is still very impressive. I don't go as often myself though because I can find most of the stores I shop at in Altamonte Mall and FL Mall is just always packed.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Probably because you have to drive down OBT to get to FL Mall whereas Millenia, although neighboring some rough areas, is right off of I-4. Also, FL Mall is not nearly as new and sparkling as Millenia, but I agree, FL Mall is still very impressive. I don't go as often myself though because I can find most of the stores I shop at in Altamonte Mall and FL Mall is just always packed.
Have only been to Milenia Mall once and think of it more as a place to walk through and see overpriced stuff that I would never buy. I am not one to pay $300 for a blouse or a pair of jeans. LOL But it is impressive.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I think the blatant discrimination of black, whites and non spanish speakers as it relates to jobs and just plain ole' customer service has gotten way worse since the first time i lived there in 2006. My brother and mother have been unemployed for two years! Because they don't speak spanish.
If I wasn't able to get a job for two years because I do not speak Spanish I would consider purchasing Rosetta Stone and learning Spanish immediately.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
If I wasn't able to get a job for two years because I do not speak Spanish I would consider purchasing Rosetta Stone and learning Spanish immediately.
I would move to another area or state ... you should not have to learn Spanish to get a job in the US. If I was trying to get a job in Madrid, I would learn Spanish.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I would move to another area or state ... you should not have to learn Spanish to get a job in the US. If I was trying to get a job in Madrid, I would learn Spanish.
There are some jobs where you need to learn Spanish. That's the way it is. Construction, Welfare Offices, House Keeping, Certain Customer Service jobs. You don't HAVE to know how to speak Spanish to do these jobs. But being able to speak Spanish is an extra skill you have over another applicant.

In this job market and all job markets... those with the most skills win.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
As far as more Hispanics... please don't tell me that other areas like Oviedo, Winter Springs, Lake Mary and Maitland are like South Orlando now. Say it aint so. Not trying to sound racist, and it may come off that way, so I will go ahead and apologize in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando