Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 PM

131 posts, read 578,101 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Winter Garden.. I like it, I LOVE my rental house in Winter Oaks.. I wouldn't buy just yet. I would (if I was you..) rent a nice house in a quiet subdivision and wait out the real estate mess.. if you still like WG/Orlando buy in a year or so.

My two cents.
Traysea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 PM

80 posts, read 291,246 times
Hi Ann, just like you I am moving to Winter Garden/Windermere looking to make a fresh start after my Mom's and brother's death and s
ome unfortunate family battling and some investments gone bad. Gonna brush myself off and move on. If you are in your 20's and planning to buy a house I have no doubt that you will do fine in Orlando.
Just like you, I almost changed my mind after reading posts on here. I sent my furniture down and am just finishing up some business here on Long Island. I just came back home after a week in Winter Park and can't wait to go back permanently. Most people have been very nice and want to help- with directions, some are slow and require some patience while they give you inaccurate directions, some are "confused" but mean well. I am from NY so I need to learn patience and tolerance so that is my goal. As far as work goes, some people say get a job before you get there, but my friends tell me that employers will call candidates who are already living there first. So I am investigating sales but waiting to interview. I don't know how well administrators are doing but I know there are plenty of opportuities especially in sales. My friend is in commercial real estate and he says tons of businesses are relocating to the Orlando area every day. Also, I am in real estate, a very flat market for residential, however time share sales(also real estate) is booming so I am looking into that.
Don't let anyone bust your bubble about moving to Orlando but do visit and investigate the market and speak to others in your field, not just delivery men. Also beware of Dishonest Moving Companies...I just got screwed!!!
Where are you moving from?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mermaid View Post
. Most people have been very nice and want to help- with directions, some are slow and require some patience while they give you inaccurate directions, some are "confused" but mean well. I am from NY so I need to learn patience and tolerance so that is my goal.
Yeah Orlando is full of people from up north and the midwest that will give you bad directions because they just moved here......LOL....not saying they are bad but just pointing out that you are getting the wrong people involved in your arguement of people being slow and confused because they are "from Florida".....LOL......Besides me and a couple other people on this forum and in this city....Where are the natives?......I'll tell you......they aren't here because most of the slow, confused, and retarted people you talk about are actually not even from here because this is a transient state.....there arent lots of people with roots here.....you have alot to learn....so next time you think people are superior where you came from ...just wait for a second before you say Floridians are bottom feeders because the slow, confused people you speak of might be from an area that is closer to where you are from rather than Florida

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 09-01-2007 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,988 times
Make sure you get annual passes to Universal and Disney once you're settled in. Universal is an excellent deal and Disney requires proof of FL residency before you can purchase the FL resident pass. The passes will come in handy when family/friends visit...trust me on this! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif (broken link)

Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,148 times
It is possible to move here and make your life here... I did... but I also had friends that were moving the same time and when I arrived my apartment was already decided for me. Now, I understand that this is not the real concern for you. However, this is a expensive place to move to and very lonely if you don't get friends quickly. It is not hard to find a job... there are always places hiring, mostly the theme parks, however it is hard to find a high-paying job in your field. If this is really what you want, you will make it work. I wish you all the luck, and have a blast... The Florida lifestyle is compairable to none other!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:50 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogirl View Post
It is possible to move here and make your life here... I did... but I also had friends that were moving the same time and when I arrived my apartment was already decided for me. Now, I understand that this is not the real concern for you. However, this is a expensive place to move to and very lonely if you don't get friends quickly. It is not hard to find a job... there are always places hiring, mostly the theme parks, however it is hard to find a high-paying job in your field. If this is really what you want, you will make it work. I wish you all the luck, and have a blast... The Florida lifestyle is compairable to none other!

You are right ....it is comparable to none other.....but people from other places always complain that there is nothing to do and that things close too early...i wonder why they do this......is it homesickness or trying to feel like we should all know where they are from and how it should be done?.......people are funny......i love Florida for all the good things there is here...the sun, the beach, the sporting events and clubs and outdoor things you can do ......but there is "real" issues....but unfortunatly "we" (Floridians) dont know what "real" issues are compared to "real" cities in other places .....sorry i had to get that off my chest and im glad to hear someone admitt that the lifestyle here is great.......overall i agree with your reply

Old 09-17-2007, 07:00 AM

21 posts, read 74,408 times
I lived in Winter Garden for five years. It's a nice little country town and probably affordable. Much of Orlando is very expensive now. I commuted though, because I worked for Universal Studios, (I loved that job.) By the way, you might apply with them. Universal has a high population of young people and the free passes are always nice too, plus 401k and medical. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,089 times
Wink i live in Winter garden

I have lived here my whole life. Its nice to grow up and great to raise a family. Like anywhere you learn where to go and not to go. Downtown isn' far and WG is about to open an enormous mall and shops area that tis going to bring a lot of buisness to the area. There are jobs, you just have to look. An admid job shouldn't be to hard to find. HOmes in WG are very reasonable. Don't get in over you head and you'll be fine.
I know a friend seliin and her house is ery nice and afordable. and close to the highway and the mall

Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
I say go for it. You are young, you have some money saved. Why not try it? I would definitely try to have a job lined up before moving if at all possible. Then rent for awhile before buying. Orlando is so spread out and each area has a little different personality. Give yourself time to learn the area before purchasing.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
Ann, as others have said, there are plenty of great areas to live in Orlando and the surrounding areas. There are plenty of opportunities here, service industry or otherwise. My two 20 something daughters moved here in January and had a job and friends the first week they were here. As servers, they make more money than me in one week (I'm in a administrative role) so not all service industry jobs pay crap. Also, there is TONS of things to do as far as nightlife here in Orlando. They have their favorite pubs, they go to the House of Blues and Hard Rock for concerts, just to name a few. It's unbelievable how much fun you can have here as a 20 something. You could spend years trying out all the different restaurants here as well.

Advice for job searching for an administrative position... sign up with temp agencies while you look on your own. Chances are you'll be placed very quickly. Most companies are hiring this way. I went this route and ended up being hired by one of the largest employers in the Orlando area. PM me if you'd like more information.

I'd also like to remind people that personal opinions are just that...even mine. What people experience in their life doesn't pertain to be "law" for everyone around Orlando. It's only their personal experience so don't let that be the end all of your decision to move here. Be smart, do your research and you'll be fine. That's what we did before we move here and it's been 3 years of having fun, enjoying the beach areas, making weekend trips around the state, not having my house robbed, being mugged or having a firearm pointed at me.

Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando