Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,112 times

Advertisements

Guess I can start by giving you the lowdown of my life....lol!

I just turned 30 2 weeks ago and i'm in dire need of a change....A friend of mine moved to chicago in November of this year, and loves it. He keeps bugging me to move their, yet, i'm unsure of its' expense I would concider this friend a source, but not a reliable one. Plus, he's unsure if he'll stay for a year.

I graduated with an Associates degree in Visual Communications (Applied Science) last year and have found that Michigan isn't the state to seek out full potential to a new Graphic Designer.

My other passion is performance art....The ultimate dream would be to work for Disney or Universal as a performer...ie: Singer, dancer/ character.
To give that glimmer of magic into someone elses eyes would make my current conflict worth persuing.

I've lived in Orlando Early Jan 03' and loved it. Granted it was With the Disney College program and I was living with 5 other strong women. But, let me tell you it was better than living in the cold north. I need heat, sand, sun and fun all year round....with the occasional rainshower/hurricane. LoL!

Personally, this is where I would want to settle down...create a long and happy life.

I guess, my conflict would be this, Do I fallow my heart and move 1,000 miles away from family or fallow my head and education to create a life 400 miles away from family?

Thanks for taking the time to read my woes!!!!!

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I do understand your problem....but sadly only you can answer this question.

I will urge you to do your homework and one thing you mentions worries me as alot of people make this mistake then end up hating Florida and then spend time bashing everything about it.

Please don't think it's fun and sun and beaches all the time. It's not a year round vacation. Do we have fun, sun and beaches? We sure do but we still have to work for a living and don't always have time for the fun part.

I, myself, hope you find your dream and wish you well

Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Do your research. I'm from up north and I have warmed up to Florida, but if I didn't have the job I have now, I would hate it. I make enough to support our household and have extra on the side. So we've been doing a lot of outings, discovering the city and the state.

If you get a job at Disney as an entertainer, you are looking at just above minimum wage which at full time employment would yield you about $1200 take home. Not much fun to be had on that. You won't find a graphic designer job in Orlando, maybe Miami but not here.

You can live cheap here though. If you live close to your job, seek out the cheap supermarkets and don't go to Disney every weekend. I'd suggest start with a job first.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:05 PM

28 posts, read 60,229 times
I've lived in Orlando for 15 years, and I say you should definitely do some research and think it over very carefully. Not a lot of professional jobs available here; most are in the tourism industry, which pays very low. Communications anything is competitive. Rent is high for what you get. A car is essential: Chicago has rapid transit, where Orlando has a rather meager bus system. For the most part, entertainment here revolves around the theme parks and shopping--both fun, but expensive ventures that (believe it or not) do get old. If you're into the visual and performing arts scene, Orlando is lacking pitifully compared to Chicago. Same with sports. Yes, the weather in Chicago leaves much to be desired, but then again so does Orlando. Cost of living is probably the same, but opportunity in your field is likely much better in Chicago. Per capita, crime is higher in Orlando than Chicago. After doing your research, make a list of pros and cons for both cities. But I wouldn't move here unless you had a job offer that you honestly couldn't refuse.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
My take is this: I lived in Chicago for about 3 years and weather DOES make a PROFOUND difference. The last winter that I was there, they set a record of 30 days with overcast. It's not healthy for those of us used to seeing the sun more often than not. I say that you should come back here as it's not only what you know, but it's likely going to be the the best for your soul. If your friend makes it past a year in Chicago, see if you can spend like a month with them, and then decide what you want to do. Chicago is a great town, better people than most places I have lived, and I think everyone should experience living there, but you shouldn't go if you don't have any guarantees at all.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 PM

7 posts, read 21,423 times
I was born and raised in Chicago but have lived in Florida now for 9 years. I currently live in Orlando near the International airport. Unless you have lived in Chicago, you do not really know how harsh the weather is. For example, on Lake. Shore Drive if its cold you cant touch the railings or benches or you will literally stick to it. They do not call it the Windy City for nothing as the winds off Lake Michigan actually push you down the street. Chicago living is great if you are wealthy because it is very expensive. A studio can start at 1,500 or more. If you want to be an entertainer though, Chicago may have more opportunities but it is cut throat. In Orlando, you have so many opportunities at the theme parks to perform but the money is not the greatest but you can make it. It is not minimum wage but no Chicago wages either. I personally have no desire to return to Chicago after being in Orlando except to let my girls see snow but other then that Orlando is home. There are so many things to do and see. Florida is not dirt cheap to live as some say but it is not Down Town Chicago prices by no means. Follow your heart but unless you want the city night life I would say Orlando. If you want the night life you can always go to Miami for the weekends.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:10 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I would reconsider other places in the country besides Florida. One of my biggest disappoints about Florida is a lack of diversity in the job/economics of the state. It is two industries, retired people and tourists. Nothing wrong with that but there is no "sense of urgency" to develop anything else. You should do a lot more research to areas that are generating wealth, jobs etc, that are affordable and have a good potential in the future. Chicago is a town with a rich history, but it seems pretty expensive, corrupt compared to other locations. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:08 AM

812 posts, read 1,675,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I would reconsider other places in the country besides Florida. One of my biggest disappoints about Florida is a lack of diversity in the job/economics of the state. It is two industries, retired people and tourists. Nothing wrong with that but there is no "sense of urgency" to develop anything else. You should do a lot more research to areas that are generating wealth, jobs etc, that are affordable and have a good potential in the future. Chicago is a town with a rich history, but it seems pretty expensive, corrupt compared to other locations. Good luck!
Did you even read what the OP wrote?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
As far as large metropolitan areas that offer a lot, Chicago gives good bang for the buck compared to say, New York City. In other words, the cost of living is fairly equal to the wages.

Corrupt? No more than anywhere else.

lilt, go back to school. An associates degree will get you nowhere and at your age it is best to do it NOW. I promise you that you will blink, turn around, and be 50.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Quote:

Where do you live at in Florida that its not diverse? Orlando/Kissimmee is one of the most diverse cities I have ever lived in. Youve got Dominicans, Puerto-Ricans, Hatians, Africans, Asians, African- Americans, People from every tiny island nation in the carribean, A lot of Russian women (waiting tables alone 1-92) Transplants from ALL over the country.

If you live in like, Haines City or something, than I can see where your coming from with the 60% white 30% black 10% spanish that typically happens in small towns in Central and Southern Florida. But Orlando is really a melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando